Finally....

CMDRSTP

Reaction score
Well, I finally got my update notification.

What is the best way to upgrade to the ICS software?

I stheir a step by step guide anywhere that you suggest?

Should you save contact info. on SD card first?

Thank you.

Steve

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
First and foremost make sure you have PLENTY OF BATTERY LEFT!! DO NOT start it on low battery!! The download will take a while, unless you do it through Wifi

If it is the official OTA notification, it will do everything for you. You can back up your contacts with Backup Assistant, and after you upgrade you can restore them with Backup Assistant as well. It backs them up to Verizon's servers securely. It's in your app drawer.

If you want to back up your text messages, you can download an app from the Play Store called "SMS Backup and Restore" which will back up your text messages. You can also, just for safe keeping, back up the folder with the backup in it to your laptop or PC with the USB cable ... just an extra layer of protection if you have important texts you want to save. :)

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
A FDR will start you out with a "clean slate"

If you do a FDR it will wipe everything on your phone, so if you plan to back up texts, etc, MAKE SURE you back them up to your PC or the FDR will wipe them

If you use Backup Assistant for your contacts, they won't be affected. Just make sure they get backed up first.

Also, any pics and videos and the like should be backed up to your PC as well, just to be safe. Create a folder on your desktop and transfer everything you want to save into there. Especially the important stuff.

And yes, you will have to re-install all your apps. But if you log into the phone with your same Gmail account, any apps paid for you will not have to pay for again, as long as you use the same Gmail addy you used when you bought them. :)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
If your gonna do an fdr, do two in a row, one right behind the other. That will ensure you have a clean slate

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

OP
CMDRSTP

CMDRSTP

Reaction score
Thanks!

I don't have anything but my contact info. and maybe a handful of apps. Not much. I didn't do much saving since hearing that ICS was coming up.

Which is better to save contacts? Backup Assistant (I didn't set my account up yet, but will if suggested) or SD card?

And, I do want to use another gmail account than the one I originally used.

Should I just follow the Verizon instructions for a factory reset and start up? You guys know best!

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks!

I don't have anything but my contact info. and maybe a handful of apps. Not much. I didn't do much saving since hearing that ICS was coming up.

Which is better to save contacts? Backup Assistant (I didn't set my account up yet, but will if suggested) or SD card?

And, I do want to use another gmail account than the one I originally used.

Should I just follow the Verizon instructions for a factory reset and start up? You guys know best!

I prefer Backup Assistant. I prefer anything outside the phone for stuff like that, because you never know when problems might occur with the phone, or the SD card or anything.

But that's just me.

But if you change your Gmail addy, that might cause problems with things that are currently tied to that addy. I'm not 100% sure but I think Backup Assistant uses your Gmail addy, just like the Play Store does ... that's why one of the first things it makes you do is sign into your Gmail account when the phone fires up. Be careful with that.

OP
CMDRSTP

CMDRSTP

Reaction score
If your gonna do an fdr, do two in a row, one right behind the other. That will ensure you have a clean slate

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

Really? Stupid question....do I have to do the setup before doing the second reset?

OP
CMDRSTP

CMDRSTP

Reaction score
I prefer Backup Assistant. I prefer anything outside the phone for stuff like that, because you never know when problems might occur with the phone, or the SD card or anything.

But that's just me.

But if you change your Gmail addy, that might cause problems with things that are currently tied to that addy. I'm not 100% sure but I think Backup Assistant uses your Gmail addy, just like the Play Store does ... that's why one of the first things it makes you do is sign into your Gmail account when the phone fires up. Be careful with that.

Darn it! No way of switching an email account with Backup Assistant before reset? That's why I was thinking of saving contact info on my SD card. After reset, I would use Backup Assistant (as I didn't start an account with it yet) with my new Google email account.

As far as Play Store.....all my apps were free. I would just redownload them.

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
CMDRSTP said:
Really? Stupid question....do I have to do the setup before doing the second reset?

CMDRSTP said:
Darn it! No way of switching an email account with Backup Assistant before reset?

I don't user BAA but you may be able to change your email address by logging into your verizon account online. I am almost certain you can.

And no, just do your fdr's from recovery, one right after the other. I always do three on a row... just to make sure I start out with a triple clean slate.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums