Finger print logon question

Bluesman2008

I may be misunderstanding this, but here's what I wanted to do. I have a Bank of America app for online banking. It's a major pain in the butt to have to type in a 17 character password every time I want in. My S5 had finger print ID that worked great and saved tons of time.

But with the S8+ it seems, if you set the finger print scanner to use it with an app, you still HAVE TO USE IT to logon to the phone. I don't want to have to do that. First of all, where they put the scanner is on the back...a pain in the butt but I understand the need for screen real estate. Even so, I don't want to have to reach around to make sure my my finger isn't on the camera lens instead..I think they really need to go back to the drawing board on that one...ditto the eye scanner and face recognition thingy.

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reading the help section, it seems that, to use the finger print scanner, you also have to set a PIN, or a pattern or a password on the lock screen to get it (and presumably be able to use the scanner on apps that support it. What a pain in the butt. There has to be a better way. These things are supposed to make life easier and not harder. Who can I speak to at Samsung LOL..we need to talk.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
yep, the fingerprint scanner is in a lousy location. I think the best we can do is to use a finger that can comfortably reach and cover the scanner. hopefully the next model will be better if they get the under the screen scanning working.

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

That's the first I heard about that. I was really surprised when they moved it to the back and couldn't do the under the screen first time through. I tried this configuration and if just feels weird in my hand. I'll have to figure out something else. I wonder if there's an equivalent to TypeItIn Pro Wavget.com

I couldn't live without that on the desktop. I use it at least once a day...more like 5. That would do the trick. Will have to search and see if that's doable on the phone.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reading the help section, it seems that, to use the finger print scanner, you also have to set a PIN, or a pattern or a password on the lock screen to get it (and presumably be able to use the scanner on apps that support it. What a pain in the butt. There has to be a better way. These things are supposed to make life easier and not harder. Who can I speak to at Samsung LOL..we need to talk.

I think the fingerprint scanner policy is part of Android, not necessarily Samsung. I'm pretty sure all Android phones that have fingerprint scanners and running newer versions of Android share the same security settings; if you want to use the fingerprint scanner you have to have a screen lock in place.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
I think the fingerprint scanner policy is part of Android, not necessarily Samsung. I'm pretty sure all Android phones that have fingerprint scanners and running newer versions of Android share the same security settings; if you want to use the fingerprint scanner you have to have a screen lock in place.

which is really not a bad idea. I remember a while back I was using superglue and got some on my fingers. If it were not for the addition pin number, I would have been locked out of my phone.