Firmware is what stands in the way of bringing fingerprint gestures to the 6P

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Google-Pixel-Pixel-XL-1.jpg

According to Google, the Nexus 6P firmware is why the Nexus 6P is not able to support fingerprint gestures despite having the same hardware that is being used on the Pixel. Oh and we already have a work around thanks to the developers (Bring the notification swipe gesture from Pixel to 6P (No root required))

Though this is the official answer from Google I am calling bull because they could have changed that in an update. Also given the fact we have a number of people who are experiencing battery issues such as their phones locking up or weird drain issues right when Google is trying to sell their $900 Google Pixel without $900 features seems kind of fishy to me.

Thoughts below.

Source: Here's why Nexus 6P and 5X aren't getting fingerprint gestures

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Edit: If the comments on reddit is indicating that Huawei controls the firmware and is not being cooperative then Google needs to state that so Nexus 6P users can put pressure on Huawei. But given the fact LG 5X is not supported and LG has been very supportive of Google put the ball back in Google's court.

Simply put, Google never had the intention up updating the 6P and 5X and was ok with calling hardware as the issue. But thanks to the community Google has been called out. It will be interesting to see if Google responds with bring the same features the 6P and 5X as well as actually fix the broken issues in the next major update.

Reactions: CJM

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Wow, very interesting pc. I find it pretty sad that Google would rather risk their reputation to gain profit. They don't already benefit from huge profit margins? The stupid thing is that profit gain will be short lived bc who is going to want to buy their products if they won't keep them updated with the latest possible features.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I'm sure it'll come but be honest though, you don't expect them to undermine their own new release just to please those who are not ready to upgrade right fresh hot off the press. Engineered obsolescence is not a new phenomenon, and neither are coincidences. Google Trends shows that older iPhones just so happen to have a sudden increase in issues with slowing down (perhaps even throttling) around releases of new hardware, for instance. This is an industry problem, not Google.

grunt0300

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6
As i've stated before, IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!!!!! If the iPixel sheep would stop buying that phone, you would see the price drop. I also believe that the updates and "fixes" for their previous phones would be released much faster.:p