Four little gingerbred glitches...

fenrisswolf

Reaction score
Just a few little things I've noticed running gingerbread (the rooted, deodexed version, in case it matters.) None of them are deal breakers, or worth more than a "huh, that's strange," so far, and at least one has been mentioned before, so I'm not horribly worried, just thought I would bring them up and see if there is any follow-up information on them.

One, the data sync icon on the notification bar is always on. (And I don't mean the "media sync" that pops up on the left. That one comes and goes as I get in range of my wifi network as it should. Although from a design standpoint, I would have tried to make them a bit more visually distinct than they already are.) While doing this has been mentioned before, a restart or reboot will not clear it. I believe clearing the cache was mentioned as a possible answer. If so, which one, and will that affect any of my saved settings? I can't really tell if it is actually syncing with anything, but my battery life and phone temp do not seem to have be affected, so my guess is no.

Two, my network settings did not get restored after installing the original rooted GB ROM. It did it with unrooted GB, and when I sbf'd bach to froyo too, so I'm not sure why. It's not critical, since besides home, and maybe my parent's, there are no other wifi networks I need to connect to on a regular basis, but it is annoying. I can restore those settings whenever I need to, so no big loss there.

Three, I have usb debugging enabled, but I have no notification of it on the notification area whenever I plug in to USB. Once again, not a real issue, and I have not had any software complaints about enabling USB debugging, so it's active, just not telling me it is. I'd almost let this one go, as the notification gets a little annoying, but I wish I knew if this notification was something I can toggle on and off deliberately somewhere on the settings.

And finally, when long pressing the home button, the list of recently used apps pops up. This is normal. however, when using TweetDeck, at least, if I want to switch to TweetDeck from the list, I will get a notification telling me "application not installed" which is oviously ridiculous, as the app is still running in the background, and launchable from anywhere else in the drawer or its own widget, so something is a little wonky there with the recent apps category.

Last edited:

draexo

Reaction score
Yes I would to know about that data sync icon as well. I did the rooted update last week on my wife's X and her data sync is always on.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

HemiDroid03

Reaction score
I have absolutely no problems with any of these situations but good luck with them and hope there's a solution for you.

Reaction score
Just a few little things I've noticed running gingerbread (the rooted, deodexed version, in case it matters.) None of them are deal breakers, or worth more than a "huh, that's strange," so far, and at least one has been mentioned before, so I'm not horribly worried, just thought I would bring them up and see if there is any follow-up information on them.

One, the data sync icon on the notification bar is always on. (And I don't mean the "media sync" that pops up on the left. That one comes and goes as I get in range of my wifi network as it should. Although from a design standpoint, I would have tried to make them a bit more visually distinct than they already are.) While doing this has been mentioned before, a restart or reboot will not clear it. I believe clearing the cache was mentioned as a possible answer. If so, which one, and will that affect any of my saved settings? I can't really tell if it is actually syncing with anything, but my battery life and phone temp do not seem to have be affected, so my guess is no.

Two, my network settings did not get restored after installing the original rooted GB ROM. It did it with unrooted GB, and when I sbf'd bach to froyo too, so I'm not sure why. It's not critical, since besides home, and maybe my parent's, there are no other wifi networks I need to connect to on a regular basis, but it is annoying. I can restore those settings whenever I need to, so no big loss there.

Three, I have usb debugging enabled, but I have no notification of it on the notification area whenever I plug in to USB. Once again, not a real issue, and I have not had any software complaints about enabling USB debugging, so it's active, just not telling me it is. I'd almost let this one go, as the notification gets a little annoying, but I wish I knew if this notification was something I can toggle on and off deliberately somewhere on the settings.

And finally, when long pressing the home button, the list of recently used apps pops up. This is normal. however, when using TweetDeck, at least, if I want to switch to TweetDeck from the list, I will get a notification telling me "application not installed" which is oviously ridiculous, as the app is still running in the background, and launchable from anywhere else in the drawer or its own widget, so something is a little wonky there with the recent apps category.

I had the media sync icon showing in the notification bar, too, and went in and did a Factory Data Reset and that fixed it.

That's all I got for ya.

draexo

Reaction score
That's great. I keep hearing about this factory data reset. How do I do it. Looks like I do not even need to go into bootstrap as the option is in GB. Now this is my wife's phone so if I use Titanium backup I should be able to restore her progress in her games. But...what happens to her contact list. How do I back that up and get it back

draexo

Reaction score
Ah...nevermind. I found instructions for this on Motor web site. Once she puts in her Gmail and Verizon info her phone should restore her email and contacts and market apes. All I need to do is restore her angry bird data.

draexo

Reaction score
Lol. Did android backup. Cleared data. Phone download some of her market alps. Went back to pre-cleared data back to run Titanium and sync gone.

izzo540

Reaction score
Did she end up losing a lot of contacts because if you sync your google data after putting contacts in the phone they are stored in the phone and not on google, I hope she didn't lose her contacts.. and as for apps all your google information and such needs to be put in before they're downloaded so it registers that she downloaded them :X what happened? Also I havent really experienced any of those issues, the only one I haven't tried was the one to do with tweetdeck, but other than that all the other situations dont apply to my gingerbread right now.

I would try running Droid 2 Bootstrap [not Droid X Bootstrap] because I've heard its more reliable, and flashing an SBF back to the stock .340, you can do it through TBH or I think maderschamm or something SBF file, then after you flash the SBF [unless you wanna connect to your computer and RSD lite that beyatch] you should try flashing the Gingerbread leak again [after a fresh download] after doing all that I stopped having a lot of weird glitches and just make sure you input whomevers google information before you start downloading and entering data on the phone. it wont store if theres no account linked to it.

draexo

Reaction score
Here is what happened:

Wife's X had some issue that she no longer had sound when her phone rang.(FroYo rooted stock).
I chased it down for a day with no luck... and it is sort of something you need. I was going to SBF back to stock FroYo when I saw the GB leak. So I figured, why not? I downloaded GB leak from Team Black Hat (TBH). Installed. Took quite a while to come back up. Had sync issues, which I was told could be solved with a reset to factory data. I rebooted the phone and the common sync with Google issues that many people are having were gone but the sync symbol was on 24/7. So I did not do the factory data reset. Now let me tell you I had multiple Nandroid backups in here as well.

So GB fixed my wife's sound issue, and is much faster, even with her full blur (basically she runs a rooted stock).

To remove the sync issue I downloaded Titanium Backup but forgot to actually back anything up and then I did the data factory reset.

When I came back up from the data reset I had to activate the phone with Verizon and re-input Gmail info. 63 apps redownloaded but NOT all of them. I am not sure why. Her Angry Birds was not re-downloaded so she was having a fit!

I then went back and restored my Nandroid backup that I did just prior to the factory data reset. This brought me back to working GB with all apps, but the sync symbol stuck on.... but mysteriously, the sync symbol was gone.....
I ran Titanium Backup and backed up the apps that were missing.

So I do not know what to do... I have three back ups of her phone. One is FroYo with no ring sound, one is post-FroYo GB (TBH) install that HAD sync symbol stuck, but does not anymore, and one is factory data reset GB with 63 apps, but apps missing. I was planning on reinstalling these apps with Titanium Backup.

Not sure if I should stick with the currently working situation which is the one where sync was stuck for a few days but is not stuck anymore, or if I should go to the factory data reset one.

As it is, getting the phone from my wife to actually do anything is difficult and as it is now, everything is working and installed and faster than FroYo so I think I will let it stay as it is.

draexo

Reaction score
while she was sleeping the "evil" sync icon came back on notification bar and has been on all day.
Guess I will go back to the factory data wiped backup and use Titanium Backup to restore her other apps that did not come down with the rest of them in the market.

elcompaLalo

Reaction score
while she was sleeping the "evil" sync icon came back on notification bar and has been on all day.
Guess I will go back to the factory data wiped backup and use Titanium Backup to restore her other apps that did not come down with the rest of them in the market.

Before going through all that, find out what app/apps are syncing. I too had a similar problem and it was a gallery app I got in the market.......turns out it was trying to sync with picasa.

Maybe all you need to do is uninstall a bad app or freeze it.

Sent from a D2 runnin GB.

draexo

Reaction score

Before going through all that, find out what app/apps are syncing. I too had a similar problem and it was a gallery app I got in the market.......turns out it was trying to sync with picasa.

How do I find out what app is trying to sync?

Also, the backup will not restore now as it is coming up with a bad MD5 checksum!

draexo

Reaction score
Hmmm. Contacts Sync 2.3.3 is listed twice in Titanium Backup. Could the service be running twice? I froze one occurence of it and the sync went away. The other occurence of it seems to be working.
Any ideas?

elcompaLalo

Reaction score

Also, the backup will not restore now as it is coming up with a bad MD5 checksum!

Settings/Applications/Running services............

That is a good place to start, simply use the process of elimination. Are there newer apps you recently downloaded?

Also "bad MD5 checksum" is what happens when you rename your backups. Go back and rename them with no spaces between dates/words.

draexo

Reaction score

Settings/Applications/Running services............

That is a good place to start, simply use the process of elimination. Are there newer apps you recently downloaded?

Also "bad MD5 checksum" is what happens when you rename your backups. Go back and rename them with no spaces between dates/words.
I did not rename the back ups. I will check their naming.

The problem program is Contacts Sync 2.3.3.

It was running twice.
I froze one occurrence of it and now the sync symbol is not locked on.
Is there a way to remove it without relying on Titanium Backup?