Future 4g Phones with Keyboards?

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
I think the obvious issue is that no one wants to put their brand name on what would be the thickest phone ever.

4glte/4inch screen and a keyboard.....the tbolt is over a half inch thick...now imagine adding a keyboard, unless its similar to the D1's and not like the epic or the shift(raised seperate keys vs. Plastic keyboard) the phone would be huge.

It also seems like moto has a monopoly on vzw with high end phones with keyboards. I always wondered if that's what stiffled the merge.

estafusisx

Reaction score
That's good, but one family isn't really a very good sample.

I agree but i still felt like it was worth adding to the conversation (too many people saying that they don't think anyone likes physical keyboards)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I don't think that's what stifled the merge, the Merge wouldn't have been considered high end, would it? If I recall correctly it was nothing special. Thickness may have something to do with it. I don't think anyone has said that no one likes physical keyboards. I personally like the keyboard on my OG Droid but I can easily live without it. I do know a lot of people that use them though. Just more that use touch. I hope Verizon comes out with a 4G phone with a keyboard for the people who want one though, just not sure about if it'll happen anytime soon.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

estafusisx

Reaction score
I don't think that hardly anybody likes physical keyboards. I just think the majority likes touch. Everything goes on supply and demand so if the demand was that high, Verizon would have some of them.....

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
If the merge was released in august or september when it hit the fcc in vzw red I think it maybe wouldn't have been high end but def not low end, isn't it very similar to the g2 minus the crazy hinge and trackpad.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
If the merge was released in august or september when it hit the fcc in vzw red I think it maybe wouldn't have been high end but def not low end, isn't it very similar to the g2 minus the crazy hinge and trackpad.

Merge is Motos version of the Devour i.e. both low end devices.

Sent from my Droid

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I don't think that hardly anybody likes physical keyboards. I just think the majority likes touch. Everything goes on supply and demand so if the demand was that high, Verizon would have some of them.....

It says I DON'T think that hardly anybody likes physical keyboards. Like as in I believe there are people out there who like them. Guess I could have stated it a lil more clearly. My bad.

mkjellgren

Reaction score

Merge is Motos version of the Devour i.e. both low end devices.

Sent from my Droid

The merge is a version of the desireZ, g2, and EVO shift...not the devour...and its HTC not MOTO...

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Last edited:

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

It says I DON'T think that hardly anybody likes physical keyboards. Like as in I believe there are people out there who like them. Guess I could have stated it a lil more clearly. My bad.

I couldn't stand not having one.... something about having to actually feel the keys. I've tried typing using the onscreen keyboard and absolutely hated it....

Sent from my Liberated D2G

dbronstein

Reaction score
I think the obvious issue is that no one wants to put their brand name on what would be the thickest phone ever.

4glte/4inch screen and a keyboard.....the tbolt is over a half inch thick...now imagine adding a keyboard, unless its similar to the D1's and not like the epic or the shift(raised seperate keys vs. Plastic keyboard) the phone would be huge.

It also seems like moto has a monopoly on vzw with high end phones with keyboards. I always wondered if that's what stiffled the merge.

The Epic already is a 4G phone with a with 4 inch screen and a keyboard and it's only about .55 inches thick compared to .52 inches for the tbolt.

The bottom line is if verizon thinks they can make money with a 4G keyboard phone, because they are more expensive to make and there is a lower demand for them, but I think there is clearly is a market for one. It's up to verizon to decide if they can get someone to make one with a cost structure that will make it profitable for them.

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I love the keyboards pretty mad all the phones now a days don't have them i'm typing on my d1 keyboard now i like the on screen keyboard but it gets really annoying with long texts

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I love the keyboards pretty mad all the phones now a days don't have them i'm typing on my d1 keyboard now i like the on screen keyboard but it gets really annoying with long texts

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

+1.... I can't stand using the on screen keyboard for anything but a short text.

Sent from my Liberated D2G

jjj751

Reaction score
I prefer to use the on screen keyboard. Ur just works best for me I guess. I hated the droid 1 keyboard, the keys were so small.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Inverse

Reaction score
Since I like to game on my phone, and actually type emails and forum posts longer than a few paragraphs, I need a physical keyboard. I'm not the kind of internet user that's satisfied with responding to posts with "LOL!" and sending text messages like "wreU@d00d?".

When it comes to productivity, physical keyboards are a must. Answering exchange emails, texting important people in my life~ I don't find sites like "Damn you Autocorrect" cute or funny, they're the result of people thinking they know what they want when they just take what they get.