Galaxy Note 4 or Motorola Nexus 6?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
True. To be fair, the average consumer doesn't care about Android updates or things like "skins." Manufacturers should at least let customers unlock their bootloaders in case if the customer is a tech wiz or "geek" like most people call it so that people like us are able to flash a pure Android ROM. But this doesn't go for just geeks. This goes for developers too. Developer editions aren't selling very well either just as the Google Play Editions aren't selling very well. Manufacturers do allow customers to unlock bootloaders but Verizon and ATT have the old habit of locking their devices. So if you are a tech geek, Verizon and ATT is not for you.
Not true I am on att and will go from nexus 5 to nexus 6. The reality is we do have the option in the nexus devices. Unfortunately you only have the choice of one nexus a year so like this year if the nexus 6 is too big your only other option is the previous year's nexus 5. Would I like to see more variety for those who like nexus like devices, yes but it is going to take time. But we are getting there with the nexus and the one +. The reality is we do not know what we want. We get a nexus that was 399 and there were people complaining that they wanted a better camera, better specs, (some wanted a larger screen), and to feel more premium. We get the nexus 6 that is all of that and people complain that it is too expensive or too large. I do hope Google do like apple and Samsung and do more than one release. Maybe release a 5 inch phone in the spring and a phablet and tablet in the fall. But to ask the manufacturer to open the bootloaders is pushing it especially after the cloud incident. In fact expect things to be harder unless you own a nexus. If you want a developer device manufactures are going to tell you to buy a nexus as they want customers to feel safe about storing their data on their devices without worrying about some geek hacking a celebrities phone and snagging their pics causing that manufacturer's empire to crumble in the process, especially if you are a company already on the rocks.

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
Not true I am on att and will go from nexus 5 to nexus 6. The reality is we do have the option in the nexus devices. Unfortunately you only have the choice of one nexus a year so like this year if the nexus 6 is too big your only other option is the previous year's nexus 5. Would I like to see more variety for those who like nexus like devices, yes but it is going to take time. But we are getting there with the nexus and the one +. The reality is we do not know what we want. We get a nexus that was 399 and there were people complaining that they wanted a better camera, better specs, (some wanted a larger screen), and to feel more premium. We get the nexus 6 that is all of that and people complain that it is too expensive or too large. I do hope Google do like apple and Samsung and do more than one release. Maybe release a 5 inch phone in the spring and a phablet and tablet in the fall. But to ask the manufacturer to open the bootloaders is pushing it especially after the cloud incident. In fact expect things to be harder unless you own a nexus. If you want a developer device manufactures are going to tell you to buy a nexus as they want customers to feel safe about storing their data on their devices without worrying about some geek hacking a celebrities phone and snagging their pics causing that manufacturer's empire to crumble in the process, especially if you are a company already on the rocks.
I am actually getting a Nexus 6. I don't mind the screen size. That's the reason why I want a Nexus 6. And because its a Google phone too.

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
I myself already knew that the pure AOSP Android doesnt have Google apps or GAPPS as custom rom communities call it. When flashing Cyanogenmod, its pure AOSP for the most part. So you are required to flash GAPPS in order to use Google services. So, an Android phone with Google services technically wouldn't be considered "pure" Android. But because Android is owned by Google, I consider Android with Google apps pre-installed pure Android. And it's also better to use Android with Google apps.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I myself already knew that the pure AOSP Android doesnt have Google apps or GAPPS as custom rom communities call it. When flashing Cyanogenmod, its pure AOSP for the most part. So you are required to flash GAPPS in order to use Google services. So, an Android phone with Google services technically wouldn't be considered "pure" Android. But because Android is owned by Google, I consider Android with Google apps pre-installed pure Android. And it's also better to use Android with Google apps.
My bad was not posting that as part of my argument just happen to read it and thought it was interesting. The reason being is we been discussing manufacturers not supporting their devices. The reality is with the big 4 (Samsung, Motorola, HTC, LG) they are for the most part going to support their phones. Samsung caught so much heat over the galaxy s devices (captivate, s, carrier variants) that the moment Google announce new software Samsung is quick to let people know they will be releasing it for their flagship devices. It's the smaller companies where you have a lot of your fragmentation. Those are the companies still releasing phones with GB and ICS while everyone else is gearing up for lollipop. Any decent hack can throw aosp on a phone. We see aosp Roms all over the place. But Google can not control the android experience with aosp like they can a device running full android. With full android you may not be on the latest software but Google can update Google services so that all Google software is up to date (minus the phone interface). And for Google that is a big step in cleaning up fragmentation.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I typically agree with a lot of your arguments PC, but you can't exactly put Motorola in with the "big 4". Motorola has only cracked the top 10 spot a couple of times over the past 5 years in marketshare. Samsung may have caught heat as you put it, but they've continued to dominate marketshare year in and year out, only being bested by Apple over the years. Motorola may make quality electronics and other radio equipment, but there smartphone sales have yet to crack the top 5 in the last 5 years. (Let alone top 10) so let's call a spade a spade shall we?
That being said, I do think Q4 of this year and Q1 of next we may just begin to see some improvements in this area. The fact is, your average consumer likes the TW skin that Samsung incorporates, and it continues to show year after year in sales. Your average consumer could care less about AOSP and locked bootloaders. Hell, I no longer care about it. Times they are a changing and if you don't make yourself stand out from the crowd, it'll never happen.
I believe (despite its size) the new Nexus will be the best selling Nexus ever and will change a lot of people's minds about having that true Android experience. I think it's finally Motos time to shine.... but only time will tell.

S5 tap'n

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
I typically agree with a lot of your arguments PC, but you can't exactly put Motorola in with the "big 4". Motorola has only cracked the top 10 spot a couple of times over the past 5 years in marketshare. Samsung may have caught heat as you put it, but they've continued to dominate marketshare year in and year out, only being bested by Apple over the years. Motorola may make quality electronics and other radio equipment, but there smartphone sales have yet to crack the top 5 in the last 5 years. (Let alone top 10) so let's call a spade a spade shall we?
That being said, I do think Q4 of this year and Q1 of next we may just begin to see some improvements in this area. The fact is, your average consumer likes the TW skin that Samsung incorporates, and it continues to show year after year in sales. Your average consumer could care less about AOSP and locked bootloaders. Hell, I no longer care about it. Times they are a changing and if you don't make yourself stand out from the crowd, it'll never happen.
I believe (despite its size) the new Nexus will be the best selling Nexus ever and will change a lot of people's minds about having that true Android experience. I think it's finally Motos time to shine.... but only time will tell.

S5 tap'n
The reason we put Motorola in "the big 4" is because it's a major OEM.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
There are a lot of major OEMS out there. The only thing that matters in the business world is marketshare. Marketshare equals sales. Period.
I get where you're trying to go in making your point though.

S5 tap'n

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The reason we put Motorola in "the big 4" is because it's a major OEM.

There are a lot of major OEMS out there. The only thing that matters in the business world is marketshare. Marketshare equals sales. Period.
I get where you're trying to go in making your point though.

S5 tap'n

You both have points.

As far as the US the top 4 (android) oems that you see (especially in carrier stores) are the Samsungs, LG, HTC, Motorola. I am sure in other countries there may be a different top 4.

But Cr6 is right in Motorola has been on the brink of irrelevance and most of that I believe was because they were tethered to just the Droid-line. Now that moto has established a brand outside droid they have the opportunity to gain more market share. And by making smart phones that are mid and low end devices they are basically capturing more of the untapped market by providing a quality device at a lower cost. Add that to their droid-line and the nexus 6 and they are building a stronger portfolio. Much smarter move than two years ago when they were cannibalizing themselves by releasing multiple flagship devices on the same carrier (ie bionic, droid 3, razr, razr maxx, droid 4).

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
You both have points.

As far as the US the top 4 (android) oems that you see (especially in carrier stores) are the Samsungs, LG, HTC, Motorola. I am sure in other countries there may be a different top 4.

But Cr6 is right in Motorola has been on the brink of irrelevance and most of that I believe was because they were tethered to just the Droid-line. Now that moto has established a brand outside droid they have the opportunity to gain more market share. And by making smart phones that are mid and low end devices they are basically capturing more of the untapped market by providing a quality device at a lower cost. Add that to their droid-line and the nexus 6 and they are building a stronger portfolio. Much smarter move than two years ago when they were cannibalizing themselves by releasing multiple flagship devices on the same carrier (ie bionic, droid 3, razr, razr maxx, droid 4).
Speaking of Razrs, wasn't the Droid Razr brand a separate brand from Droid? Motorola has had the RAZR brand for a long time since 2004. They revived it again in 2011. In other carriers like Alltel (which is not available in my area, Los Angeles) the Droid RAZR was just called RAZR.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Speaking of Razrs, wasn't the Droid Razr brand a separate brand from Droid? Motorola has had the RAZR brand for a long time since 2004. They revived it again in 2011. In other carriers like Alltel (which is not available in my area, Los Angeles) the Droid RAZR was just called RAZR.

^nope it was a DROID

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
To add in, the RAZR brand was really successful. The Droid brand was also successful but its losing sales. The Moto X along with the G have no brand except "Motorola." It was a bad idea that Google sold Motorola. They could of done great things. Google was gonna save Motorola but they sold it. But now that Google and Motorola teamed up to make a Nexus device, that can save Motorola for sure. Nexus is a new brand in Motorola.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I believe they used the razr name to try and revive the moto name trying to grab people with that nostalgic feeling. That and were trying to distinguish it from the bionic...but in the end it was part of the long fall from grace that motorola has suffered over the years.

droideddie13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 6
I believe they used the razr name to try and revive the moto name trying to grab people with that nostalgic feeling. That and were trying to distinguish it from the bionic...but in the end it was part of the long fall from grace that motorola has suffered over the years.
Oh yeah I remember reading something like that online. Motorola used the brand "RAZR" in their Droid brand to get attention since the RAZR flip phone was really successful. Motorola tried to get successful again by making a RAZR branded high end smartphone. Which was the thinnest phone on the carrier at the time.