Galaxy s4 to Moto X?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Been entertaining the idea for the past few months and have seriously considered it recently. Anyone here come from the s4 or an HTC One and switched to the Moto X? I haven't used one outside of the stores so for those who have had it an extended period of time, any noticeable lag or things like that?

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
This thing works perfect. Just as good as it did when I first took it out of the box. People can point at specs all day long. I'll point at a phone that just works.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
This thing works perfect. Just as good as it did when I first took it out of the box. People can point at specs all day long. I'll point at a phone that just works.
Unfortunately mine works but looks like hell... Dropped it and cracked the screen last week. :-(

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yeah people steer clear when they see "dual core", they're not aware of the architecture of the x8 chipset and how efficient the phone is in just about everything it does. I think that's just about the only reason why it didn't sell as well because people see "quad core" and immediately think better performance.

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Unfortunately mine works but looks like hell... Dropped it and cracked the screen last week. :-(

Can't you send it in to Moto and get it replaced for free? Or was that only for Moto X that were made on MotoMaker?

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I went from the S4 to the X. I detest the S4 in comparison.I'm sold on the software and as a matter of fact I'm not upgrading from my X for anything other than the next version of it. Its all about the UI.

Can't you send it in to Moto and get it replaced for free? Or was that only for Moto X that were made on MotoMaker?

The cracked screen replacement is only for Xs purchased directly from Motorola. I replaced mine a few months ago. Great process.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yeah, only those bought directly from MotoMaker, unfortunately.

This one is a developer edition, unlocked and wireless tether hacked, so I'll be repairing it... :)

8ydy7ety.jpg

u2ygy8ag.jpg

Last edited:
OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I went from the S4 to the X. I detest the S4 in comparison.I'm sold on the software and as a matter of fact I'm not upgrading from my X for anything other than the next version of it. Its all about the UI.

The cracked screen replacement is only for Xs purchased directly from Motorola. I replaced mine a few months ago. Great process.
Wow that much of a difference huh? What about the difference in displays; size and quality? I know the Moto X display is nice as well, but smaller size and resolution, did that make a huge difference for you? (Yes I know it's subjective, but I prefer the opinion of someone with personal use as compared to say an "official comparison")

And thanks for clarifying about the screen replacement. Saw a broken MotoX on CL and was gonna buy it, but wanted to make sure it wasn't just the MotoMaker ones.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Wow that much of a difference huh? What about the difference in displays; size and quality? I know the Moto X display is nice as well, but smaller size and resolution, did that make a huge difference for you? (Yes I know it's subjective, but I prefer the opinion of someone with personal use as compared to say an "official comparison")

And thanks for clarifying about the screen replacement. Saw a broken MotoX on CL and was gonna buy it, but wanted to make sure it wasn't just the MotoMaker ones.
Actually I also am fully impressed with the X. The smaller screen than my MAXX is a bit strange but the UI is the bomb. Also it's fast and spunky. An X MAXX would be awesome!

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Moto has a coupon code for $150 off + a Moto Skip clip accessory.....not making my decision any easier....

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I just don't like the skin Samsung uses. I tried. But after having it for a few months i began to like it less and less. When you go from app to app it's a disjointed experience, like it is all cobbled together. I think the device settings on the S4 has over 30 sub-sections under 3 separated menus. The UI for the X is very close to stock android with a few important, but subtle, USABLE features.

The seamless Google Now voice experience on the X is WORLDS better than the S Find or whatever it's called on the S4. The battery life on my X is easily twice as good as the S4 and I don't have to do anything special to make that happen. No fiddling with Bluetooth or WiFi, it manages itself efficiently all by itself.

I ran CM10.? For a while and it was OK except for a few very very minor quirks, but my phone broke and I had to get a replacement. Unfortunately the boot loader was locked on my replacement and I was forever locked in TouchWiz hell. Thanks to this site I got my hands on a discounted Moto X, it was night and day.

Also, there are no silly musical chimes on the X, nor any ridiculous sound effects or tones that I can't change.

The S4 has two massive strong suits... The screen is BEAUTIFUL and the camera is great. But beyond that it is a gimmicky mess. Even with its high power processor its UI renders it a bloated hodge-podge of sounds and effects that can't get out of its own way most times.

The X is much better thought out and it shows.

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
And that's two of the things that are really holding me back from pulling the trigger. The screen on the s4 is still one of the best and the camera quality surprises me even to this day, especially outdoor shots. The other two things are expandable memory (got a 32gb sd card in there now) and removable battery. There's no doubt I have easy access to charging (car and various power banks), but swapping batteries is just so much easier.

Reactions: cr6

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Motorola has come forward and denied the "1 screen replacement" rumor. Apparently the free screen replacements are the exception, not the rule.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I keep saying it's the best Android handset on the market. Quad core or not. You can't even tell. It does everything perfectly with a set of useful and well thought out features.