Galaxy Watch 5

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
I just bought the GW5. So far I love it. I'm coming from a Fossil Gen5 Garrett. I was debating whether to get a 4 or a 5 since they are almost the same watch and the 4 is cheaper but the way it worked out with the 5 being on sale, an "enhanced trade in value" of $75 (vs $20 initially) for my Gen5 from Samsung, and a 5% military discount the 5 ended up costing only $24 more than the 4. The sapphire glass and larger battery are worth that. It's paired with my S22+ so I can take advantage of every feature this watch offers. I also bought a pack of 6 different color bands from Amazon. This color is my favorite.

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
How has your battery life been on the GW5? I have the 40mm and I've been able to squeak out 30 hours. That's with AOD off, WiFi off, raise to wake off, "hey Google"off, auto detect workout off, location off, a dark watchface with a few complications (steps, heart rate, battery & weather), NFC on, sleep monitoring on.

With my Galaxy Watch Active I would get almost 3 days. I'm not doing much different on my GW5 than I did on my GWA except that I have everything turned off on my GW5 where they were all on with my GWA. I expected to get closer to the same battery life but I assume it's most likely all the updated sensors & Wear OS on the GW5.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
How has your battery life been on the GW5? I have the 40mm and I've been able to squeak out 30 hours. That's with AOD off, WiFi off, raise to wake off, "hey Google"off, auto detect workout off, location off, a dark watchface with a few complications (steps, heart rate, battery & weather), NFC on, sleep monitoring on.

With my Galaxy Watch Active I would get almost 3 days. I'm not doing much different on my GW5 than I did on my GWA except that I have everything turned off on my GW5 where they were all on with my GWA. I expected to get closer to the same battery life but I assume it's most likely all the updated sensors & Wear OS on the GW5.

Tizen was always inherently more energy efficient than Wear and they took strides to widen the gap with each update at the cost of performance in some cases . Combine that with a hungrier processor in your new watch and that's why .
On my Active 2 I used to get 3 days easily with everything that I'd ever use on . I can squeeze 2 days out of my Galaxy Watch 4 if I don't use GPS but what I've done instead is each morning when I get up I put it on the charger and take it off before leaving for work . I'm usually between 95% and 99% when I put it on .
Hope that helps and hopefully Android gurus will figure out a way to get more bang from our battery buck , though they've never seemed to attempt to do so before .

Darth Mode 10+

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Tizen was always inherently more energy efficient than Wear and they took strides to widen the gap with each update at the cost of performance in some cases . Combine that with a hungrier processor in your new watch and that's why .
On my Active 2 I used to get 3 days easily with everything that I'd ever use on . I can squeeze 2 days out of my Galaxy Watch 4 if I don't use GPS but what I've done instead is each morning when I get up I put it on the charger and take it off before leaving for work . I'm usually between 95% and 99% when I put it on .
Hope that helps and hopefully Android gurus will figure out a way to get more bang from our battery buck , though they've never seemed to attempt to do so before .

Darth Mode 10+
Thanks! I almost wish I kept my GWA. I think I was a little spoiled with the 3 days battery.

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I almost wish I kept my GWA. I think I was a little spoiled with the 3 days battery.

Could be worse I suppose . I think Apple watches get about 12 hours of battery life , maybe 18 as best I remember . My middle daughter has an Apple watch and she carries a charger with her and charges it at lunch then at night .

Darth Mode 10+

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3

I have the 44mm and have mine set up similar to yours except I have raise to wake and location on. On time is usually 7 to 8 AM to 11 PM and then off for the night. I finish the first day with about 70% left. I usually charge it every two days. Right now it's 919 PM and I'm on my second day with 55% left. I'll charge it tonight but I might be able to get a third day out of it if I needed to.