Getting out while the getting is good

NewAge

XOOM Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok, good to know. What about LG specific hardware like the screen though?

I'm still pissed about this whole thing lol. I'm not dropping $700 on a note 3.

Tapped from my G2

As far as I know, no binaries are needed for the screen when compiling a ROM. The GPS, CPU, Camera, BT, I'm sure I'm missing one but those are the usual ones with issues. At least when ROM cooking. You can often grab the old ones from Vendor files of previous versions.

NWRULES

Reaction score
So, in other words you're saying the G2 is not getting 4.4? Seriously? Just stumbled upon this thread. Yikes

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
So, in other words you're saying the G2 is not getting 4.4? Seriously? Just stumbled upon this thread. Yikes

Nothing cast in stone and it is all rumor and speculation. But if the article is in fact true I'd expect to see very little future support.

Tap'd from my LG G2

S

SFGate

Recently bought an LG phone because it met my needs, if I had known this info, might have put a damper on it. But that doesn't change the fact that the phone had what I wanted when I bought it. Going to have trouble finding a replacement phone.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
LG actually has a lot of innovative devices coming out right now. They have the LG Flex, the G2, etc. I don't think they are done by any means. If anything they are pursuing some of the most innovative products to date.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
Love the G2. Really do. But after reading the article last night stating they were putting their focus on TV's and not on smartphones I see very little to no future support for the G2. And there will be no follow-up to look forward to. Which will be a big disappointment. Looks like I will be jumping ship back to Motorola. Good thing I bought the G2 at Best Buy and have a 45 day return window. Something told me to steer clear of LG due to their reputation in other product areas. Figured I would give them a chance since the G2 was such an impressive device. Should have gone with my gut instinct.

It was fun while it lasted.

I read that too. But, this is my thought on the subject. The market is highly driven by the latest and the greatest and with all the carriers moving towards a model that allows people to "upgrade early" for a fee... then there is no reason for the phone manufacturers or carriers to push out more than one update as long as people are buying new phones. It used to be that a flagship phone would have longer than 6 months on the top of the list, now with many carriers, they have more than one flagship and they seem to be getting bumped pretty quickly. .. unless you own a Nexus/GED phone

As long as there is a strong Dev community then I expect we will be able to upgrade to the latest and greatest OS advancements for quite a while after LG drops support. So.... KEEP THAT G2 and be happy!!! :)

David

garywojdan81

Reaction score
Not to mention that LG has publicly denied the info in that article. Only time will tell.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

Reaction score
Love the G2. Really do. But after reading the article last night stating they were putting their focus on TV's and not on smartphones I see very little to no future support for the G2. And there will be no follow-up to look forward to. Which will be a big disappointment. Looks like I will be jumping ship back to Motorola. Good thing I bought the G2 at Best Buy and have a 45 day return window. Something told me to steer clear of LG due to their reputation in other product areas. Figured I would give them a chance since the G2 was such an impressive device. Should have gone with my gut instinct.

It was fun while it lasted.

That is a really bad excuse to not like this phone. Who cares about official updates. Thats what awesome devs like the ones we have working on this phone are for.

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
That is a really bad excuse to not like this phone. Who cares about official updates. Thats what awesome devs like the ones we have working on this phone are for.

First I never said I didn't like it. In fact the first line I said I love it. What I didn't like is the fact that at the time it didn't look like LG was going to offer future support. There are many of us that care about that.

Speaking for myself I do not flash ROMs on my phones anymore. They are my daily driver and I don't want potential down time. If I get the urge to flash I do it on my Nexus 7 for the simple fact that if something goes wrong or a ROM is buggy I am not that worried about being without it for a few days.

I love the fact that the development community is embracing the G2. But there are those of us that are still going to rely on OEM updates.

Tap'd from my LG G2

Last edited:

Big Ry

Reaction score
First I never said I didn't like it. In fact the first line I said I love it. What I didn't like is the fact that at the time it didn't look like LG was going to offer future support. There are many of us that care about that.

Speaking for myself I do not flash ROMs on my phones anymore. They are my daily driver and I don't want potential down time. If I get the urge to flash I do it on my Nexus 7 for the simple fact that if something goes wrong or a ROM is buggy I am not that worried about being without it for a few days.

I love the fact that the development community is embracing the G2. But there are those of us that are still going to rely on OEM updates.

Tap'd from my LG G2

I also have largely moved away from ROMs. I need the reliability, and I was getting tired of the bugs.

Tapped from my G2

Ksupernor2

Reaction score
I felt a little let down with LG 's announcement that they were focusing on the television side but I thought to myself I probably won't have this phone in 6 months so who cares...... Who knows that still might update this one in a timely manner and come out with a better phone for next year's flagship. These phone companies do crazy things. Look at HTC. They are going bankrupt and they release the one max which I have not heard anything good about...... It's basically a gigantic one....

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I also have largely moved away from ROMs. I need the reliability, and I was getting tired of the bugs.

Tapped from my G2

Exactly how I feel. I haven't flashed a ROM on my phone since I first got the Razr Maxx. It was buggy and I decided at that point I need my phone up and running. If I had a backup it might be a different story. But I pay full price now and sell my previous phone to help the cost.

Tap'd from my N7 v2

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2