Gingerbread on the D2

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Will there be any complications when the official GB is released by Verizon for the D2 ? I had read on another forum that due to the custom skins, sounds, etc. that it was not going to be available for the R2D2 D2 and the only way to do it was by rooting and manually re-installing all the R2D2 specific add-ins.

Sorry if this has already been covered. 30 pages of posts is a lot to go through.

Thanks!
Monshroud

30 pages is alot, but thats why there is a search thread function in the top right corner. ;)

As for the R2D2, I see no reason you wont be able to run GB. The sounds,skins,etc are optional I believe. The hardware is exactly the same as the D2 though. You may be able to restore the sounds, but not sure about skins and such. However, you are right that you will likley need root to do it.

Monshroud

Reaction score
Will there be any complications when the official GB is released by Verizon for the D2 ? I had read on another forum that due to the custom skins, sounds, etc. that it was not going to be available for the R2D2 D2 and the only way to do it was by rooting and manually re-installing all the R2D2 specific add-ins.

Sorry if this has already been covered. 30 pages of posts is a lot to go through.

Thanks!
Monshroud

30 pages is alot, but thats why there is a search thread function in the top right corner. ;)

As for the R2D2, I see no reason you wont be able to run GB. The sounds,skins,etc are optional I believe. The hardware is exactly the same as the D2 though. You may be able to restore the sounds, but not sure about skins and such. However, you are right that you will likley need root to do it.

Thanks for the reply Xplorer4x4. I am worried about rooting my phone. A co-worker with a D2 who was trying to put Cyanogen on his phone just bricked it the other day. Said something about not being able to get into clockwork???

Maybe I'll just hope that Verizon puts together a full GB package with all the R2D2 stuff included. If not I guess I will have to choose between R2D2 and GB... decisions decisions....

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Root will be super easy and shouldn't cause you any problems.
Just ask questions and you'll be fine flashing whatever you like

CM74D2

FreyGrimrod

Reaction score
Assuming your mac is new enough to be intel based... so few motorola? left...

Bootcamp ftw I dual boot with Win7 but work provides me with legal operating systems perhaps not everyone has that luxury.

*goes off to hunt for rumored release dates this is getting pathetic sick of trying to remember froyo when helping my mother with her phone*

dent

Reaction score
Official OTA out

I'll be damned if i checked the version number i just hit update but im pretty sure its here... Post results soon.

Reaction score
Just got the official gb update from verizon for d2. It looks awesome! I like the color scheme I have now haha.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
I didn't notice any difference between the ota and the leak that has been out for months.

I AM glad to have rooted the ota and to be back on cm7! So happy these roms work with the update.

CM7GB-601

redspy

Reaction score
I am really new to trying to change things on my phone. But with the new update I HATE the baby blue and the status bar color and I want to change them but I have no idea how to go about doing that. Can anyone help?

Chipolito

Reaction score
Okay so my Droid 2 started downloading something yesterday. I assume it is Gingerbread. It has been downloading now for over 24 hours...WTF??? I tried switching over to wireless network vs 3g but no increase in speed. Why couldn't we have been given and option of downloading on to pc then to phone...JC it is eating up the battery!!! Anyone else have this issue???

happyDroid

Reaction score
Okay so my Droid 2 started downloading something yesterday. I assume it is Gingerbread. It has been downloading now for over 24 hours...WTF??? I tried switching over to wireless network vs 3g but no increase in speed. Why couldn't we have been given and option of downloading on to pc then to phone...JC it is eating up the battery!!! Anyone else have this issue???
lol yeah. It was peaking at <1/KBs on my 15/5 connection. I was downloading nothing else either, nothing taking up bandwidth, yet freakishly slow.
:blink:

silverfang77

Reaction score
Maybe it was slow because everyone was downloading simultaneously.

siriusgamer

Reaction score
How can I overclock the GB OTA? On froyo, I used JRummy's Android Overclock, but it just causes my phone to reboot on gingerbread.