Gluing on speaker covers

OP
D

Dweib

Reaction score
Yes those speaker protective micro mesh screens do come with a bit of a stick to the edges. But that, gentlemen, is not the current question. I now need to know the correct adhesive and procedure for attaching the covers that go over those screens. In the case of the HTC One m7 these are indeed glued on. See link > HTC One Top Cover and Bottom Cover Upper Cover and U-Cover This post is primarily directed to those individuals who may be in the business of cell phone repair and not to a general speaker geek. In lieu of what may be the correct procedure I am leaning toward some careful use of two part epoxy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Okay then, so it appears that my suspicions may have been correct after all regarding the cover on the front of the phone that I had included a pic of earlier.

"Is this the front panel of the phone as illustrated below? Or is the cover you're referring to something else?"

htc-one-speaker-grille.jpg

So what you're saying is you've got the screen mesh already installed and now you need to replace the front cover that is the front of the phone. That again would normally have its own adhesive already installed, but since you've removed it you've probably either damaged or removed the adhesive as a result.

The problem here unfortunately is I wouldn't want to use any adhesives on that that could potentially damage the plastic or the finish and absolutely under no circumstances would I consider using superglue. Super glue creates major problems with plastic in that it melts it, it breaks down paint and melts that as well, and it also creates a haze that spreads across other services nearby as a result of the evaporating solvents.

The proper adhesive would be a rubber cement based adhesive or an acrylic based adhesive but unfortunately I'm not aware of one other than good old fashioned rubber cement that could be applied without risking over application. You might consider a spray on acrylic adhesive but you have to tape up all the parts that you don't want exposed to the spray on acrylic adhesive. Once you've done so and then removed the masking, wait until the adhesive is tacky and then apply.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dweib

Reaction score
Those covers are aluminium. And no there is no adhesive already applied to the replacements.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Ok, I knew they were aluminum but the fact that there is no adhesive applied is kind of interesting. Typically what they would use in that situation would be a very thin double sided tape perhaps, or specifically a regular acrylic adhesive to tack it down. What was on it when you removed it initially? Surely there must have been some adhesive, otherwise it would have fallen off.

If it's a slightly yellowish double-sided tape on the original cover, you should be able to remove it carefully and slowly with gentle tugging pressure and get it free from the old cover, and then apply it to the new cover.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
If not.. Go for gold.. This is getting strange.. Apply a light layer of adhesive for positioning.. Then.. Maybe form a gasket(black permatex) .. After you make sure if the final fit.. WARNING.. ANY HARSH ADHESIVE MAY DAMAGE THE COVER MATERIAL SO LOOK FOR SPECIALIZED MATERIAL..

I've had good luck with form a gasket black color

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I would stay away from Gorilla Glue for this. It expands and will push the cover off or leak out the seams.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I would stay away from Gorilla Glue for this. It expands and will push the cover off or leak out the seams.
Probably a good idea.. Black gasket tack aka form a gasket from your auto supply store is probably your best best.. In a very small amount.. Apply with a toothpick.. Or perhaps spray adhesive.. But i don't see that having the stickiness you'll probably need.. Wear gloves and be careful.. The stuff is strong ... It can possibly rip the foam you're working with..

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Probably a good idea.. Black gasket tack aka form a gasket from your auto supply store is probably your best best.. In a very small amount.. Apply with a toothpick.. Or perhaps spray adhesive.. But i don't see that having the stickiness you'll probably need.. Wear gloves and be careful.. The stuff is strong ... It can possibly rip the foam you're working with..
Form a gasket, there's an excellent suggestion.

I'd try it on two similar mating surfaces of something you don't mind destroying first but I could see it working well.

OP
D

Dweib

Reaction score
If not.. Go for gold.. This is getting strange.. Apply a light layer of adhesive for positioning.. Then.. Maybe form a gasket(black permatex) .. After you make sure if the final fit.. WARNING.. ANY HARSH ADHESIVE MAY DAMAGE THE COVER MATERIAL SO LOOK FOR SPECIALIZED MATERIAL..

I've had good luck with form a gasket black color
Done a few engine rebuilds in my time so I do have Permatex Form A Gasket #1 and #2 on hand. #1 is brown and hardens up. #2 is black and non-hardening. hmm . . Not so sure if that has sufficient adhesive power. There is also automotive goop under consideration.

Here is what you guys may be referring to: Gasket Sealant at AutoZone.com - Best Gasket Sealant Parts for Cars Trucks SUVS But it doesn't say "form a gasket" and I would appreciate it in the future when mentioning a specific product to try, if you could give me a direct link. Thanks.

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The black is the most like the adhesive under tape on all of my extensive speaker rebuilds.. That's why I suggest it.. Works on my Peavy amps.. Works on my fender amps and my marshals...

OP
D

Dweib

Reaction score
The black is the most like the adhesive under tape on all of my extensive speaker rebuilds.. That's why I suggest it.. Works on my Peavy amps.. Works on my fender amps and my marshals...
Keep in mind this is NOT a large guitar amp, my friend. Just out in the garage looking at my tube. And Permatex Form A Gasket #2 > Gasket Sealant at AutoZone.com - Best Gasket Sealant Parts for Cars Trucks SUVS is really not an adhesive at all. Read the description. Not the right stuff. Do you know what your talking about?? Unless your really referring to this > Sealant at AutoZone.com - Best Sealant Parts for Cars Trucks SUVS So which is it? There is also this stuff > Sealant at AutoZone.com - Best Sealant Parts for Cars Trucks SUVS Came across this which I may try as well > Mirror Adhesive at AutoZone.com - Best Mirror Adhesive Parts for Cars Trucks SUVS This also looks quite interesting and may be just the ticket > Sealant at AutoZone.com - Best Sealant Parts for Cars Trucks SUVS I must only apply to the edges as I dare not get any on the fine mesh screen so spray adhesives are out. Although I could easily mask off what I don't want glue on and I do have an excellent Loctite product right here. So how did a guitar amp guy come across my post in the first place? Seems a bit odd. And unless you've worked on these phones, not sure why your bothering. But I suppose it's like attaching a metal label or emblem to one your amps. In that case you'd use a contact adhesive which is what I'm probably going to wind up using here.

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Keep in mind this is NOT a large guitar amp, my friend. Just out in the garage looking at my tube. And Permatex Form A Gasket #2 > Gasket Sealant at AutoZone.com - Best Gasket Sealant Parts for Cars Trucks SUVS is really not an adhesive at all. Read the description. Not the right stuff. Do you know what your talking about?? Unless your really referring to this > Sealant at AutoZone.com - Best Sealant Parts for Cars Trucks SUVS So which is it? There is also this stuff > Sealant at AutoZone.com - Best Sealant Parts for Cars Trucks SUVS Came across this which I may try as well > Mirror Adhesive at AutoZone.com - Best Mirror Adhesive Parts for Cars Trucks SUVS This also looks quite interesting and may be just the ticket > Sealant at AutoZone.com - Best Sealant Parts for Cars Trucks SUVS I must only apply to the edges as I dare not get any on the fine mesh screen so spray adhesives are out. Although I could easily mask off what I don't want glue on and I do have an excellent Loctite product right here. So how did a guitar amp guy come across my post in the first place? Seems a bit odd. And unless you've worked on these phones, not sure why your bothering. But I suppose it's like attaching a metal label or emblem to one your amps. In that case you'd use a contact adhesive which is what I'm probably going to wind up using here.
Do I know what I'm talking about???? Have you been reading? This is new ground to us.. I've never sealed a speaker enclosure on a phone.. I'm relatively sure @FoxKat hasn't either.. However I have years of pro sound equipment experience.... We're trying our best to help you.. And your description has been varying... We're doing all we can... But it appears that you've found something that may work for you...

Try some out on something similar to what you're going to be using it on... Trial and error... I would do this no matter what ANYONE recommended.. Because material can vary.. Results as well.. Good day.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
As 94lt1 pointed out we're in uncharted territories here, I've never had to reattach a speaker cover on a phone before, I only know the composition of one half of the surfaces to be adhered, being Aluminum and I'm assuming the other half is plastic. As I stated earlier, I would look at the original cover which you must have removed and see what type of adhesive system is used and then try to mimic that system as best you can. I might go with simple Scotch double sided tape and cut to fit. You're likely to have far less issues with it, and you need not worry at all about spillover or bleed of adhesives.

It's important to determine what surfaces will actually be touching that can provide adhesive function. You may not need to use all that much tape to accomplish the goal, and too much tape will result in improper fit.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dweib

Reaction score
Jobs done. Once again I've no idea how my simple targeted query apparently got in the wrong forum(s). I was seeking a specific answer to a specific question from someone well familiar with the subject at hand: the repair of the HTC One m7 smart phone. Not general suggestions. I already have a whole drawer full of those. Anyway, it's been an interesting conversation to say the least and as usual I pretty much did what I essentially was going to do in the first place prior to posting. And that worked fine. So good day gentlemen. And do take care.

K

Last edited: