Gmail Conversations v. Inbox

jameskuzman

I have a question about how the Gmail inbox and conversation threads relate to one another on the Droid.

When I click on the Gmail icon, the left-most icon takes me to my Inbox. The one next to it takes me to Conversations.

While I understand the concept of threaded conversations, this seems redundant. Indeed, I get word from the notification screen for new mail as well as conversations for the very same e-mail.

Deleting mail from the inbox leaves the conversation intact, which means I have to delete the same e-mail twice.

Can I disable the conversation "feature" altogether, or at least set it up so that when I remove an e-mail from the Inbox, it disappears from the conversation list as well? And ideally doesn't give me duplicate notifications?

Jim

deputc26

I am not sure what you mean, when you click the gmail icon the left most icon/??? when you click the gmail icon it just goes to your mail, there are no further icons you must click??

OP
J

jameskuzman

Apologies for the confusion, deputc26.

When I tap the Mail icon on my home screen, it opens to my Gmail inbox.

There are three icons on this Gmail screen. The left-most is an arrow pointing down into a box - the Inbox.

The middle one is two text/conversation bubbles. When selected, the screen switches to "conversations" and organizes the e-mails into threds.

I'm trying to do away with notifications that I have a new e-mail AND a new conversation - as it seems as though the same message is going to both places - thus, two notifications, and two messages to delete - one from the Inbox, the other from the Conversation thread screen.

I don't like the whole threaded conversation concept, to be honest. I understand where some folks might like this way or organizing mail, but I really dislike it and would just like e-mails to come in individually and separately without being tied to a thread. I find it a nuisance to navigate.

Does that help at all? :)

Jim

OP
J

jameskuzman

I have the Eris...

There's no problem opening mail, it's just that instead of threading e-mails in the main inbox, as Gmail does when you check mail on a computer, it puts the individual e-mail in the inbox, and then puts a duplicate of it in the conversations box.

Too much duplication, too many steps to delete the same message twice, and twice the annoying notifications to clear out :-(

Jim

number6

Jim, in your clarification you say "When I click on the Mail icon on my homescreen..." Are you talking about the Gmail icon (big red M) or the actual Mail icon (something like a gold @-symbol)?

The Gmail icon should take you to the built-in Gmail app and automatically display your mail in Conversation mode.

Did you set up an IMAP connection to your Gmail account with the Mail application? If so, the double-notifications may be from the Gmail app *and* the Mail app, both notifying you about new mail.

These are separate apps. When you first set up your phone, part of the configuration should have been setting up the Gmail app. Did you also set up the Mail app to read the same Gmail account? If you're using the Mail app to read Gmail, this is probably why everyone is scratching their heads. What you're describing isn't normal behavior for the Gmail app, but it might be if you're using the Mail app to read your Gmail.

If this is the case, just use the Gmail app and delete the IMAP settings from your Mail app.