GMail Push Delays

Sprank1

Reaction score
I did search for an answer in the forums but couldn't really find one.

So ...

How long does it usually take for your GMail to be pushed to your Droid? I sometimes see email in my account on my computer and it doesn't seem to make it to my droid for 7 to 10 minutes. Is that a normal delay?

I haven't found any settings on the Droid to have it check more frequently, and didn't really expect to since the GMail is "push" and not "pull" email on the Droid.

But, sometimes I seem to get the email almost immediately on my Droid. Are there times when things just get "slow"? I was a long BB user and there were frequently times when the BB service was slow or down completely. I did not think that was really possible with the Droid and the way it functions. But I guess if Google is being slow for some reason with their "pushes" it would cause delays.

OK .. not sure I made a lot of sense, or if I even answered part of my own questions :icon_eek:

warrior21

Reaction score
I usually get them instantly but I'm sure there are issues from time to time that cause a slow down

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Usually takes about 60 seconds. Sometimes it can take about 10 minutes, but this is rare. I am thinking of using k9 to check gmail instead of the gmail app. I wonder if this would improve performance.

mantis5

Reaction score
I have found it to be very slow today, to the point where I figured my phone was in a fugue state, so I did a battery pull. After that it did eventually collect my gmail, but it was still several minutes, which is longer than usual.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
There have been a couple times where I've actually gotten the email on my Droid, followed by the computer. It's off topic but my corporate mail doesn't always come right on time, but that's my fault in a way. According to what I read, if you kill the Gmail process, it will fire itself back up and let you know if you got a new email. The Email process may or may not fire back up but regardless will usually require you to actually go into the app and do a refresh so I've since added it to the ignore list.

Big Dawg 23

Reaction score
mine is slow today. However generally its on my phone before I see pop up on my PC via Google Talk.

Yno

Reaction score
I started having issues after loading Helix. Now I have to manually sync to get gmail. If there isn't a cure for this soon, I will have to unistall Helix, which I really like.

OP
Sprank1

Sprank1

Reaction score
Well ... I am at least glad to hear that I am not the only one finding it slow today. Hopefully this is just some temporary thing and it will go back to the usual quick push that I got used to.

subsynth

Reaction score
Mine is delayed today as well. I can see an email in my Gmail Notifier on my computer but it still hasn't showed up on my phone yet...

Happened earlier today as well...

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Gmail Service Status

Might be slightly off topic but in regards to Gmail being slow on a given day, I recently found this...

There may alternate ways of getting to it, but if you have your Gmail open via a computer, over in the upper right, click on Help. On the following screen there will be an option to the left that says Gmail service status which will show you if there was any issues on a given day and includes reports for those events. Pretty neat that they'd offer this information to the public. :)

subsynth

Reaction score
Apps Status Dashboard

The appstatus dashboard shows what's going on with all google apps, and it appears Gmail is experiencing issues.

I cannot login via the website now, and I cleared my google cache on my phone and restarted and it's trying to synch again.

argh.

OP
Sprank1

Sprank1

Reaction score
Apps Status Dashboard

The appstatus dashboard shows what's going on with all google apps, and it appears Gmail is experiencing issues.

I cannot login via the website now, and I cleared my google cache on my phone and restarted and it's trying to synch again.

argh.

I'm curious ... and intrigued :)
What is the "appstatus dashboard" you mentioned? Is that on the web or on the Droid?

subsynth

Reaction score
It's on the web, essentially the same link that Swettooth described by Going to Help and clicking on Gmail server status.

I subscribed to the App status dashboard via RSS, so I see in my Reader when a google service is down.

My gmail is back, I freaked out for a second there. I'm going to test again to see if push is improved.

nope. Still waiting for Push Notification....