God I hate Verizon

MonKENy

Reaction score
So we have 3 lines line A, B, and C

I have line B. I bought my DX about 1.5yrs ago. Since then I have not approved of Verizons business practices (or sprint or att for that matter) So I was going to wait out the clock on my contract, cancel it buy a retail phone and go to Metro PCS or T-Mobile or something. Well The person who is on Line A (he is the primary account holder so Im not mad at him. He can do what he wants BUT..) He upgraded his Device but the only upgrade available was mine...He reset my Account. It now doesnt expire until January 2014. Verizon says im boned. Im stuck w/this plan for ANOTHER 1.5 Years.

This is ridiculous, They shouldnt be able to just steal upgrades and reset contract dates like that. Also this means that I am paying for his phone after sep 28 (his contract expires Sep 28) Does that mean his price goes down since its no longer paying for a "new phone"? I may use his upgrade and uprade to the D4 or what else is good on Verizon Android Phones?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
You aren't paying for his upgrade. Verizon doesn't give discounts to lines off contract. Also, since you have a droid X and have had it for a year and a half, you will lose your unlimited data if you upgrade (assuming you have unlimited) and be forced to switch to a share or tiered plan.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
If he used your upgrade on his line, then it is his line that now has a two year contract and your contract end date would be what his contract end date once was. Is that the January 2014 (which would mean that he must've last got a new phone this past January) or is the January 2014 the upgrade date for this most recent upgrade (which seems that it should be Sept 2014 not January 2014)?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Edit:

I've talked to Verizon and clarified what you've told me that what you've been told is true.

The contract renewal is for the phone number that it was pulled from. Your renewal date is now the renewal date you were told. This was explained this way... If a phone has an upgrade available, that upgrade obligates that number for the 2 years, since there is no requirement that the number that used the upgrade actually keeps that phone and uses it for itself. This is HOW HE is able to get the phone, essentially YOUR NEW phone for himself. He (or you) could also sell that phone on eBay for instance, and simply pocket the money (as many people do). So again, it doesn't obligate HIS phone number/line for the new contract terms, it obligates YOUR phone number/line.

SO in short, he's not "transferring your upgrade to his line", he's "transferring the phone received by upgrading your line to his own line" (as was described to me by the technician). You have to distinguish between equipment and service. It's the months that have passed on your service that essentially make your service eligible for an equipment upgrade. What you do with that equipment once you receive it is of no concern of Verizon's, but in order to get that equipment, your line is now under a new 2-year contract.

Now, there are several other things to consider. First, if you are part of a family plan, for you to leave the family plan would potentially jeopardize the entire plan and the added benefits for the other plan members. Second, since he's the primary line on the account, he has the right to do what he's done - that is to take the upgrade from your line and use it for his benefit, but it locks the number which is "upgraded" into the new 2 year contract. Third, as Tis said, if you decide to leave the plan and go elsewhere you may lose some benefits you now enjoy as part of the plan you are on, or as part of the grandfathering you may be party to.

Since "A" is the primary on the plan, he can cancel himself at his original end of the contract terms without any repercussions and simply assume your phone line, leaving you free to leave the plan with no cost or penalty...UNLESS, as part of the upgrade he agreed to renew the 2-year contract on BOTH your AND his lines to get the largest subsidy, in which case you're completely. You need to get "A" on the phone with Verizon and have him sort out what was done to be sure he didn't obligate both you and himself for another 1.5 years without his complete understanding. If he was misinformed, mislead, or misinterpreted what was told, there may be a way to either reverse or adjust the plan changes to restore just your time-line for the contract, without completely reversing what he's done to benefit himself. He may have to put forth additional funds out of his own pocket to release himself from the 2 year obligation of the plan but if done now, it would alleviate the early cancellation penalty that is quite a steep $ amount.

Last edited:

Caesars

Reaction score
Go open your own account and stop being friends with the jerk :).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
An interesting addition to this information above for those who have a Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan (as both my "A" and "B" phone lines do), but who also have other phone lines on the plan that aren't under the data package (as my "C" and "D" lines are), and who want to upgrade but don't want to pay full retail.

He confirmed that I (let's call me "A"), can take line "c", which has an upgrade available, and use that line to extend the contract for 2 years, and by doing so can get a subsidy for a new Smartphone for my "A" line, and because it wasn't MY "A" line that was upgraded, I retain my grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan.

Furthermore since my "B" line is also on the Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan and yet my "D" line isn't, when "D" is eligible for an upgrade, I can use it to upgrade the "B" line's phone, and again - the "B" line retains the Grandfathering!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Go open your own account and stop being friends with the jerk :).

She can't do that without now paying a $175 early termination fee for her line, and also possibly a $250 - $325 equipment charge as well (depending on what phone "A" has gotten and how much subsidy Verizon provided). Now truth is, those costs should be paid for not by her, but by "A" because it is the actions of "A" that caused this situation, however "A" has the right to do pretty much what he wants and doesn't need the approval of "B" or "C" to do it, since he's the PRIMARY on the plan.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
OK.. I'm not usually the type to be this way.. but here it goes. . The account is in his name, your only on the hook for the bill because you are a person of your word. That said, he extended your contract to get his phone...

so legally, you can walk right now and leave him with the bill.

We're you unlimited?? Cause you're not anymore. ..

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OK.. I'm not usually the type to be this way.. but here it goes. . The account is in his name, your only on the hook for the bill because you are a person of your word. That said, he extended your contract to get his phone...

so legally, you can walk right now and leave him with the bill.

We're you unlimited?? Cause you're not anymore. ..

I agree whole-heartedly with this ^^^ opinion. If however you are "the child" and he is "the dad", you pretty much have to accept that he can do what he wants. If however YOU are paying for YOUR line out of your OWN money, then you certainly have a leg to stand on with this argument. I would be pretty miffed if someone did that to me and slapped the cuffs on me for another 2 years without my consent. It will come down to what kind of a relationship you have with "A", and perhaps the solution is that "A" takes over the $10/monthly fee for your line, you take your phone number and go elsewhere and you're off the hook.

Best of luck and let us know how it works out.

Caesars

Reaction score
She can't do that without now paying a $175 early termination fee for her line, and also possibly a $250 - $325 equipment charge as well (depending on what phone "A" has gotten and how much subsidy Verizon provided). Now truth is, those costs should be paid for not by her, but by "A" because it is the actions of "A" that caused this situation, however "A" has the right to do pretty much what he wants and doesn't need the approval of "B" or "C" to do it, since he's the PRIMARY on the plan.

I thought it was in someone elses name, Yaaa screw paying that yourself lol.

OP
MonKENy

MonKENy

Reaction score
Its basically my Dad. Im not that upset to be honest its his to do with. He didnt know that would happen. I just found out myself. Him and I have unlimited (He upgraded in january so it was before the new plan structure) We have a 3rd line for someone else they have the tiered plan so I will push the upgrade that my dad has onto the 3rd line and then move the phone to my line..free upgrade + stay grandfathered

so basically

A Has Upgrade this 09/2012
B Had upgrade in 01/2012
C Has No upgrade

Became

A Took Up Grade from B/ Has Upgrade on 09/2012
B no upgrade
C no upgrade

To Finally

A No Upgrade
B No UpGrade
C Took Upgrade From A -Give Phone to B

So the question now is What phone to get?

I made another thread but no replies. Whats everyone suggestion? Im leaning towards Nexus

CALJREICH

Reaction score
So we have 3 lines line A, B, and C

I have line B. I bought my DX about 1.5yrs ago. Since then I have not approved of Verizons business practices (or sprint or att for that matter) So I was going to wait out the clock on my contract, cancel it buy a retail phone and go to Metro PCS or T-Mobile or something. Well The person who is on Line A (he is the primary account holder so Im not mad at him. He can do what he wants BUT..) He upgraded his Device but the only upgrade available was mine...He reset my Account. It now doesnt expire until January 2014. Verizon says im boned. Im stuck w/this plan for ANOTHER 1.5 Years.

This is ridiculous, They shouldnt be able to just steal upgrades and reset contract dates like that. Also this means that I am paying for his phone after sep 28 (his contract expires Sep 28) Does that mean his price goes down since its no longer paying for a "new phone"? I may use his upgrade and uprade to the D4 or what else is good on Verizon Android Phones?

So you have a joint contract with Verizon? I know only the owner of the account can approve purchases change plans or upgrade phones. I am not understanding your predicament. Do you share an account with someone or is this your own account. If this is your account simply cancel the upgraded phone and return it and put a stop to the other individual messing with your account. If you just pay another person and share the account then I would suggest telling that person to cancel the upgrade and returning the phone. I would explain to them I will not be responsible for any part of a phone bill after whatever date you know your phone is up.

I read where you said you have a contract with Verizon. What kind of contract is it? Family share plan? How many names are on the contract? Who has authority to authorize any changes to the account?
You stated the primary account holder upgrade his phone with an available upgrade from your phone. I have a family share plan and 4 phones and have upgraded plenty of our phones over the years. Anyone that does what he did knows it was going to increase the contract time on your phone. You should be angry with him not Verizon. If your name is not if you did not sign a contract with Verizon and have a verbal agreement with the PRIMARY ACCOUNT HOLDER then I would give him the choice of returning the phone or paying for your phone for the extension he caused.
He is taking advantage of you. First by taking your upgrade oh did he ask you to ? And now I'm sure he wants you to continue paying for 2 more years , really nice and you hate Verizon?

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So you have a joint contract with Verizon? I know only the owner of the account can approve purchases change plans or upgrade phones. I am not understanding your predicament. Do you share an account with someone or is this your own account. If this is your account simply cancel the upgraded phone and return it and put a stop to the other individual messing with your account. If you just pay another person and share the account then I would suggest telling that person to cancel the upgrade and returning the phone. I would explain to them I will not be responsible for any part of a phone bill after whatever date you know your phone is up.

I read where you said you have a contract with Verizon. What kind of contract is it? Family share plan? How many names are on the contract? Who has authority to authorize any changes to the account?
You stated the primary account holder upgrade his phone with an available upgrade from your phone. I have a family share plan and 4 phones and have upgraded plenty of our phones over the years. Anyone that does what he did knows it was going to increase the contract time on your phone. You should be angry with him not Verizon. If your name is not if you did not sign a contract with Verizon and have a verbal agreement with the PRIMARY ACCOUNT HOLDER then I would give him the choice of returning the phone or paying for your phone for the extension he caused.
He is taking advantage of you. First by taking your upgrade oh did he ask you to ? And now I'm sure he wants you to continue paying for 2 more years , really nice and you hate Verizon?
On Family Share plans, there's the Account Owner, and there are Account Managers. The only thing an Account Manager cannot do is cancel service on any of the lines. The Account Manager CAN purchase and upgrade lines that are eligible and accept the Terms and Conditions. When the OP's Dad used the eligible phone upgrade, the Dad accepted the T&C on the eligible line and he had to know what he was doing.

Be upset with your Dad not VZW. If you feel your Dad has unfairly treated you, then open up your own account in your name and you will be the account owner and only you can call the shots.

What FoxKat has been saying is absolutely correct. I just jumped in to clarify your post about what an Account Owner and what an Account Manager can't do. I actually do know this as a fact, as I worked for VZW for over 3 years.

sajgel

Reaction score
if line A had an unlimited plan then you can use that option on your phone when "A's" date is due.

CALJREICH

Reaction score
On Family Share plans, there's the Account Owner, and there are Account Managers. The only thing an Account Manager cannot do is cancel service on any of the lines. The Account Manager CAN purchase and upgrade lines that are eligible and accept the Terms and Conditions. When the OP's Dad used the eligible phone upgrade, the Dad accepted the T&C on the eligible line and he had to know what he was doing.

Be upset with your Dad not VZW. If you feel your Dad has unfairly treated you, then open up your own account in your name and you will be the account owner and only you can call the shots.

What FoxKat has been saying is absolutely correct. I just jumped in to clarify your post about what an Account Owner and what an Account Manager can't do. I actually do know this as a fact, as I worked for VZW for over 3 years.

To be absolutely clear there are no account managers unless the Account Owner authorizes it and they can be unauthorized by the account owner. My account has ME as the account owner and NOONE including my wife can change anything. They may report a lost phone but that is all and I pay the bill.