Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Instead of guessing I guess I will download it and see if I can send texts between countries.
Let us know! I didn't even try to send a message with it when I downloaded it. I saw that it had no Google Voice integration and gave up. Maybe they'll combine the two, but then where does that leave Hangouts? Just VoIP/video calls and hangouts messages? I'm just not seeing how both can exist at this point in time...

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
You can enter a phone number, but there is no way to enter an email address.

Launch it, select the Settings menu (upper right hand corner) and then scroll down to phone number. If you tap it you can put in another phone number. Maybe GV?

This app is not for me. Maybe they will change it.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
You can enter a phone number, but there is no way to enter an email address.

Launch it, select the Settings menu (upper right hand corner) and then scroll down to phone number. If you tap it you can put in another phone number. Maybe GV?

This app is not for me. Maybe they will change it.
I thought, back in the old days of texting, that you could put an email address in the to field on most phones (even when they were dumbphones).

As for adding another number, that may work for texting with GV, but I really only use GV for the visual voicemail (more for having vm's left inline with texts for certain contacts and the ability to play them without having to call in, though the transcriptions can be quite humorous at times). So, if you can add it for texting, that doesn't do me much good either.

Like you, I hold out hope that they'll add more functionality that I might want/need.

My biggest complaint with Hangouts right now is that Samsung doesn't seem to support it in Ultra Power Saving Mode, but as rare as the occasion that I use it is, it's not a big deal for me to use the stock app to keep in touch if I find myself in a situation where I need UPS mode. Though, now that I think about it, I'm fairly certain I won't be able to get voicemails in that mode since they're in Hangouts...hmm...Guess I can always cancel the call forwarding that makes it work in an emergency.

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I have a feeling Hangouts is going to become Google's version of FB Messenger for Google+......

sent from my sexy Note 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I have a feeling Hangouts is going to become Google's version of FB Messenger for Google+......

sent from my sexy Note 4
I hope not. That'll turn it from an app I use every day to one that I just keep around for the rare occasion I need it.

Sent from my Note 4

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I hope not. That'll turn it from an app I use every day to one that I just keep around for the rare occasion I need it.

Sent from my Note 4
Same thought here.....
So far they big plus to Messenger for me is the color scheme in the messages. I didn't care for the all white on Hangouts.

sent from my sexy Note 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Same thought here.....
So far they big plus to Messenger for me is the color scheme in the messages. I didn't care for the all white on Hangouts.

sent from my sexy Note 4
I actually did like that aspect. Since it loaded the messages that I already had on the phone, I was able to check out the look. While I'm not a HUGE fan of every color they chose, the best thing for me was when I opened the group text between myself and the other board members of our community theater. Instead of having to rely on their pictures to know at a glance who was talking, each of them was a different color. That was slick, especially since I don't have a contact picture for all of them. (I thinned the herd on my Facebook account to only ACTUAL friends and family, though a few select online acquaintances made the cut as well.)

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I will say the send/receive speed does seem a little snappier with the new app....

sent from my sexy Note 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I'm not feeling this whole move towards bright whites and neon colors. Animations are fine and dandy. Those colors though.

dja1980

Reaction score
I'm probably the only person on the planet who uses Hangouts as his main SMS portal BECAUSE I don't have a texting plan -- using GV instead (yay free unlimited texting!). Just tried the new Messenger App and unfortunately, unlike Hangouts, I can't force it to route texts through my GV number. Ah, no loss I guess...I actually like Hangouts and the way everything is consolidated. And throwing in free VOIP calls over cell/wifi is not bad either.

-Matt
I'm actually trying to look more into this. So are you currently using your GV number for free unlimited texting, or will you be using your Verizon number now that they announced that GV MMS is now supported on Verizon? I downloaded the Hangouts Dialer to add GV functionality to Hangouts, but I'm still trying to figure out how to use my Verizon number for MMS. I'm thinking that this might require one to port their number to GV... and I'm not sure that I want to do that.

Google Voice MMS Now Officially Supported on Verizon Android Forum at DroidForums.net

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I love this! This is perfect for the users who don't use all that added stuff from hangouts. It was always weird to me how Google made that the default texting app, when most of their users most likely will just be sending sms/mms. I've been waiting quite awhile for this, and it looks and works great.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm actually trying to look more into this. So are you currently using your GV number for free unlimited texting, or will you be using your Verizon number now that they announced that GV MMS is now supported on Verizon? I downloaded the Hangouts Dialer to add GV functionality to Hangouts, but I'm still trying to figure out how to use my Verizon number for MMS. I'm thinking that this might require one to port their number to GV... and I'm not sure that I want to do that.

Google Voice MMS Now Officially Supported on Verizon Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Wow, thanks! I TOTALLY missed that announcement!

I'm not 100% sure I followed your question though -- as I read the post, I understood it to mean: in the past only SMS (text) messaging worked on GV for Verizon customers (using your GV number of course) but now GV users can also send MMS (esp. image) messages using GV. I think you read it a bit differently...sounds like you're interpreting it as: now you can set GV to use your cell number instead of your GV number -- but I'm not sure that's not the case.

Either way, I do a good chunk of my communicating through the Hangouts app, which is configured to use my GV number for texts and calling. Admittedly, friends who text me are a little confused..."Wait, you have ONE number that I call and ANOTHER number that I text?" but they eventually figure it out. Yeah, you might wonder: why don't I just put my cell number aside and have everyone use my GV number? It's a long story...

-Matt

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
Actually giving messenger a chance now. I cancelled call forwarding to gv so I'm back to vzw's vm service & made messenger my default.

Sent from my Note 4
Wahaha welcome to the dark side....

sent from my sexy Note 4