Google's VR Monster Movie Called 'Help' Shows Off Their 360 Video Tech

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-help-vr-movie.jpg

If you haven't had the pleasure of checking out Google's new VR YouTube movie tech with its live 360 camera rotation, then you have an opportunity to do so now. They just made a short movie called Help, and it's basically a slick alien monster movie, a la "Godzilla."

The 5 minute movie features their full 360 degree camera rotation, and although it probably is a much better experience if you are actually using VR goggles, it's still pretty nifty to check out even without them. The film lets you change your viewing angle using the WASD keyboard commands (similar to that found in a video game).

The affect can be a bit disconcerting if you happen to focus too much on something other than the action in the film, but it does let us imagine would it would be like if you were experiencing it in full 3D VR motion. You can check out the video in the thread below.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I gotta get me some Google cardboard:p. Although I borrowed my girlfriend's little brothers, and his iPhone looks way better with it than my LG G4. Weird. I don't think iOS can watch the actual 3d YouTube videos though so I have the leg up on that lol

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I'm sitting here at work and watching the video and am like...this kinda sucks. Then I notice the 360° icon. FFS, its for cardboard. I'll rewatch it at home tonight :D

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
@PereDroid, or maybe @sajokaz, though I think it was Pere...turned us on to these spotlight stories in a thread quite a while ago. Pretty darn cool indeed.

You should be able to watch 360 degree videos without cardboard. Cardboard just makes it more fun.

Wadman

Reaction score
Thats really cool. I did the same thing...thought "what the" then noticed the toggles. Pretty darn cool

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I think I posted that Google took over the former Moto Spotlight stories and Spotlight app and made it available on the Play Store. This looks like they took the Spotlight tech a few steps further and incorporated it into You Tube and VR headsets / goggles. Pretty cool. we all knew there were good reasons that Google bought Moto....for the patents and tech. This is one of them.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
This is where 4k screens on telephones make quite a difference. I can see pixels crystal clear on my 1080p xperia while my wife's g4 screen is much better quality.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I didn't watch the video earlier, just commented on Jonny's post. Now that I have seen it, this is not the same as the actual Spotlight app. The Spotlight App stories (movies) allow you to turn & twist your phone and involve all of the sensors and accelerometers in your phone; kind of like an interactive short movie. This seems cool too, but seems more like it was made specifically for VR headsets. Where as the Spotlight App movies are meant to be watched using the Spotlight App.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk