had droid 2 for 2 weeks, reading up on rooting

j1999t

Reaction score
I have had my droid 2 for a little over two weeks now, and i have installed launcher pro, handcent, the usual apps most people do... ive customized it pretty well... i have been reading the forum(s) looking at rooting my droid 2 (2.3.20) and i am still unsure of whether or not to actually do it...

My concern/questions:

1) what will it do to my warranty, if the phone has a major issue, what will i be able to do to get it replaced...

2) Ive read a bit on Rom's, custom rom's, overclocking, etc, and am not sure how to flash a rom, etc etc...
a)will i lose my info if i flash a rom?
b)benefits/drawbacks?

3) things to do once rooted? etc
4)cant think of anymore right now, will update as i think of them

OP
J

j1999t

Reaction score
im also looking for personal opinions as well

matt192004

Reaction score
i have had my dorid 2 since the release date back in august of this year. I started wanting a faster phone and discovered rooting information on the phone BUT i have no clue what i am doing and are how to do it i have installed the 1 2 3 easy root on my comptuer you are suppose to be able to do it very easy BUT i wish someone could do it for me i could probably do it but i dont have the extra $ laying around should i mess it up now i do have insurance on it but what i would want is it rooted and overclcoked to the max speed but i want it done safely. guess i could learn to doit but side note on me i am totally blind in right eye see 20/400 in my left eye but am very smart just not sure how to root the droid 2 also if it is rooted can i take off programs i will never use?

Reaction score
I have had my droid 2 for a little over two weeks now, and i have installed launcher pro, handcent, the usual apps most people do... ive customized it pretty well... i have been reading the forum(s) looking at rooting my droid 2 (2.3.20) and i am still unsure of whether or not to actually do it...

My concern/questions:

1) what will it do to my warranty, if the phone has a major issue, what will i be able to do to get it replaced...

2) Ive read a bit on Rom's, custom rom's, overclocking, etc, and am not sure how to flash a rom, etc etc...
b)benefits/drawbacks?

1. Your warranty will be voided if Verizon finds out you messed with your phones software like that.
2a. Idk
2b. Idk
I haven't been tempted to get a custom rom since I rooted my Droid 2. I feel as if theyd cause me more trouble than good.

3. Go download Wireless tether for root users. It can take the 3g you get and rebroadcast it as wifi. very useful for when u have an ipod touch, and want to watch netflix when there is no wifi. Also, go get a screenshot app, I use one called ShootMe. You can also overclock, by getting Jrummys DX/D2 overlock app and SetCPU. Overclocking can be tricky, make sure you're thoroughly informed with detailed guides. They can be found on this forum, but I think Droid life has an informative article that tells u how to overclock.

I personally recommend just rooting, its very easy. Custom ROMs are more difficult, and have a higher likelihood of bricking your device.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

jabster

Reaction score
See the second post in pc747's link above for rooting. Piece of pie to root. Just rooted this past Thursday.

The essential app to get is titanium backup. Great in case you ever need to reset your phone for any reason. Backs up everything on your phone: all data from system and apps. Even works (for most apps anyway) when you change phones.

John

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

event121

Reaction score

My concern/questions:

b)benefits/drawbacks?

1) Your warranty is void. Make sure you don't have hardware issues (like a blown speaker) before proceeding. See if it's insured (can add within the first 15 days with Asurion through VZW or through the Credit Card/Bank Card that you used to pay for it). If you root and then unroot (flashing the .sbf file - see other threads) then you can potentially have it replaced by VZW/Motorola if you're still under warranty (1yr by default).

2) Get root first. Get Koush's bootstrap / Clockworkmod. Boot into recovery. Install ROM via .zip file. Keep checking back for updates, support, etc.
2a) There are ways to back everything up. You will never lose the info on your memory card, but ALWAYS keep a backup of it elsewhere. I recommend getting and buying Titanium Backup from the market (someone said it was around $6 or $7 in another thread here). Clockworkmod/Nandroid backups are like System Restore - you can "flash" back to them if something goes wrong, but you'll need root to complete a backup. Titanium Backup will get your apps and "saved games" - plus it's a handy tool for freezing apps that you don't want to update when the developer decides to update their market app and break it or charge for it or put ads into it or ruins the way it runs. For contacts/email/calendar, you should have them (wirelessly) synced elsewhere if you have them on your phone (gmail, exchange account, email address, etc). Look for SMS back up apps in the market if you absolutely can't live without saving your text messages - personally I see no reason to.
2b) Void warranty. Support is typically on forums. Might suck hours out of your life as you try to change, install, fix, or update something with your phone. Customization. Learning. Control. Why wouldn't you tune up or pimp out your car, computer, or phone if you could?

3) After root, back everything up and verify it's backed up. Set up your phone how you want and then back it up again if it's running perfect. Finally proceed to experiment if you want.

I personally use it to apply themes and backup applications. You get access to the 8gig of internal memory if you want to use it for more storage (I don't). Custom roms are great if you are looking for something besides the s/w Motorola is producing. There are a few different custom ones for the D2 since the latest update.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Wrong! The warranty is NOT void. VZW may say it's void, but VZW didn't manufacture the phone.

I was a Motorola certified handset technician til this past May. They will still work on your phone under warranty as long as you're not overclocking your phone making it overheat.

event121

Reaction score
Wrong! The warranty is NOT void. VZW may say it's void, but VZW didn't manufacture the phone.

I was a Motorola certified handset technician til this past May. They will still work on your phone under warranty as long as you're not overclocking your phone making it overheat.

Do you read your Motorola user manuals? They all say modified s/w voids your warranty.

A voided warranty doesn't mean people stop doing what is right.

Dustin.

Reaction score

My concern/questions:

b)benefits/drawbacks?

1.) This will all vary on the severity and WHAT is exactly wrong with your D2. (If its screen or cosmetic damage, then you will have to unroot to get an Asurion claim. Secondly, if it's software based and or bricked, or won't boot up, there could be a chance as where you can get it replaced without any issues.)

2.)Since you have a D2 you will use Koush's D2 Bootstrapper for Custom Recovery which will allow you to back-up, restore, and install new ROMs.

2a.) Yes, it's vital to back-up your contacts to your SD Card, and I would suggest "Titanium BackUp" for all your Apps and stuff, that way you only have to download one app to get them all back. (Just makes things easier.

2b.)Benefits - Faster CPU (If interested in overclocking), Themes (Custom design throughout the entire phone), Options of removing what you want, and only keeping what YOU want.(Deleting MotoBlur or Skype for example.), Custom ROMs (User created versions of Android, can increase memory space, increase performance, and allow more customization.)
Downfalls - You CAN brick your phone, but that all can be fixed with SBF and RSDLite. Secondly - Bootloops, which can be fixed with Custom Recovery by restoring back to stock or a different ROM with a Nandroid back-up.

3.) Download "D2 Bootstrapper" off the Market, or from an alternative source. Jrummy's Overclocking App if you want more speed. Titanium BackUp for backing everything up. RootExplorer for browsing through your system without any restrictions. And last but not least, a copy of SetCPU so you can monitor your OC and keep track of temperatures and it comes with a nice widget option to keep everything simple.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to PM me or post back here, and I'm sure you'll have a fast response with a solution. If I've failed to answer any of your questions just post back and I'll get back with you asap.

Cheers!