Headphone Static

monkeydog

Reaction score
Just received my razr maxx and I have noticed that there is quite a bit of background static when listening with headphones. Every music player has the same problem. There is so much static that it is not possible for songs to have silent or quiet parts, as it is overcome with the background static. Is this an issue with all razrs or just mine that I should get replaced?

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Your headphones have too much sensitvity and/or low impendance. It's an issue with my triplefi 10 on my D2G as well, and you can't do much unless you add an amp or another DAC down the line. An impedance adapter might help though.

Breakfast beats worrying.

OP
M

monkeydog

Reaction score
Your headphones have too much sensitvity and/or low impendance. It's an issue with my triplefi 10 on my D2G as well, and you can't do much unless you add an amp or another DAC down the line. An impedance adapter might help though.

But my headphones are crystal clear on my D2, and on my tablet, I really don't think it is an issue with my headphones.

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Nevermind then, it might be the EQ effects. From what I notice, they tend to increase this hissing noise, mostly due to distortion. What kind of headphones are they, might I ask? Sounds to me you might have a bad DAC/amp in the phone now, which is a hardware fault.

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Bring it into the store and see what they say. It may very well be similar to that Rezound problem where it hissed very loudly all the time. At worst, you could try getting an impendance adapter from amazon or eBay for $15 to help; adding in 100ohms of impendance to my TF10s usually kills the hiss on my phone. You'll need to turn up the volume a bit though because they need more power to work.

OP
M

monkeydog

Reaction score
I have an extra razr maxx laying here... took advantage of the bogo for my dad but I won't be able to meet up with him for a week or so to upgrade his phone. Is there someway that I could test his phone to see if its the same? Could I just swap my sim card into it or would that not work? We've always been on Verizon and never had to use sim cards until now with 4g so I'm not sure how that works. If they are phone dependent or not.

Byakushiki

Reaction score
You could always just boot it and skip the activation. I think it was just don't put in the sim card or something, feel free to google it. It should make a sound through the headphone out anyways after boot.

stanggurl

Reaction score
I wanted to let you know that you're not the only one experiencing this problem. I also get static when listening to my music on my Droid Razr Maxx through my Klipsch Image S4 Headphones.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I wonder if the bionic and the RAZR and maxx are all using the same sub par headphone jack???

sent from my RAZR MAXX

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
You could always just boot it and skip the activation. I think it was just don't put in the sim card or something, feel free to google it. It should make a sound through the headphone out anyways after boot.

Skipping activation is done by hitting all 4 corners of the screen, I think its top left, top right, bottom right, bottom left if i'm not mistaken.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I wanted to let you know that you're not the only one experiencing this problem. I also get static when listening to my music on my Droid Razr Maxx through my Klipsch Image S4 Headphones.

When you say static, do you hear faint buzzing, crackling, or hiss, and is the noise consistent or does it change? What I am getting at is whether this is RF interference "bleed-over" from the IC circuitry of the phone itself. The circuitry is heavily shielded internally, but in such close proximity to other componentry that RF bleed is nearly impossible to completely eliminate. I have this type of "digital" noise in the car, but when I put a Ground Loop Isolator inline between the headset jack and the car input, the noise drops out completely.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited:

stanggurl

Reaction score
When you say static, do you hear faint buzzing, crackling, or hiss, and is the noise consistent or does it change? What I am getting at is whether this is RF interference "bleed-over" from the IC circuitry of the phone itself. The circuitry is heavily shielded internally, but in such close proximity to other componentry that RF bleed is nearly impossible to completely eliminate. I have this type of "digital" noise in the car, but when I put a Ground Loop Isolator inline between the headset jack and the car input, the noise drops out completely.
I would describe what I hear as cracking and popping. When it pops, the music cuts out completely. Other times, I hear cracking (like plastic cellophane being waded up) in the background.

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Bad hp jack then? My D2G suffers the same issue if music isn't playing and it's in my pocket. Any movement causes an earful of this noise. Sadly, it isn't like the D1 where you can just use the straw fix.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I would describe what I hear as cracking and popping. When it pops, the music cuts out completely. Other times, I hear cracking (like plastic cellophane being waded up) in the background.

OK, and as the post from Byakushiki below says, does it happen when moving the phone around or twisting/moving the headphone plug while in the headphone jack. If so, then it's definitely a connection issue. You may benefit from a different pair of headphones or you might benefit from cleaning the headphone plug end with an alcohol swab. You can also spray "Deoxit" on the tip and wipe the tip with a clean napkin to assure there's no contaminants, such as fingerprint grease on the tip.

If it is a faulty headphone jack (and it may very well be), it will likely show similar issues no matter what headphone you plug into it. If the problem goes away with another headphone, then you may actually have a poorly designed headphone plug on the one that had the problem. Good luck.