HELP! I need help molesting my Droid X!

bartuschster

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out a way to make changes to 2.3.3. Specifically, on the page in Settings where we do a Factory Data Reset after clicking on Privacy.
I want to find a way where I can delete the ability to do a factory reset, or better yet, have the ability to do a factory reset password protected (like having to enter in a PIN before proceeding to do the reset).

Why would I want to make it very difficult to do a reset (by a person unfamiliar with my DROID X)? This is why:
Suppose my Droid is stolen. Assume, based on global acceptance of the Android OS, that the thief is wise enough to do a factory reset. Suppose further that, if barred from doing the reset, the thief will probably keep the battery in the phone (he won't remove the battery, because he's having too much fun playing with my downloaded games and listening to my extensive music collection). Or, he sells the phone to a friend.

Suppose further that I have a Lookout Security-like phone finding app on the phone.

The reason why I do not want the thief to do a Factory Data Reset on my DROID is to keep the DROID on and active long enough that I may track him down using Lookout Mobile Security's phone-finding feature. After all, I can't track him down if he wipes out the phone-finding feature by doing a Factory Data Reset.

Help!

ABQNM

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out a way to make changes to 2.3.3. Specifically, on the page in Settings where we do a Factory Data Reset after clicking on Privacy.
I want to find a way where I can delete the ability to do a factory reset, or better yet, have the ability to do a factory reset password protected (like having to enter in a PIN before proceeding to do the reset).

Why would I want to make it very difficult to do a reset (by a person unfamiliar with my DROID X)? This is why:
Suppose my Droid is stolen. Assume, based on global acceptance of the Android OS, that the thief is wise enough to do a factory reset. Suppose further that, if barred from doing the reset, the thief will probably keep the battery in the phone (he won't remove the battery, because he's having too much fun playing with my downloaded games and listening to my extensive music collection). Or, he sells the phone to a friend.

Suppose further that I have a Lookout Security-like phone finding app on the phone.

The reason why I do not want the thief to do a Factory Data Reset on my DROID is to keep the DROID on and active long enough that I may track him down using Lookout Mobile Security's phone-finding feature. After all, I can't track him down if he wipes out the phone-finding feature by doing a Factory Data Reset.

Help!

A factory data reset can be performed without ever even booting into the OS. It can be done from power off by holding home when powering on to get to the stock recovery and choosing that option. So even if you password protected the one in the OS somehow, they could just do the recovery way which cannot possibly be disabled with the encrypted/locked bootloader.