Help!!! Trying to unlock bootloader

jacrushar

Reaction score
This has to be done on the fastboot screen. Make sure the screen says "Fastboot USB" Also check your device manager(If you're on windows). Sometimes the device doesn't show up properly. You should see it as an HTC ADB Device.
The device manager says Android ADB interface under Android Phone. Gave it another go on the fastboot screen, still <Waiting for device>. Sorry in advance if there is something stupid I am missing.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
The device manager says Android ADB interface under Android Phone. Gave it another go on the fastboot screen, still <Waiting for device>. Sorry in advance if there is something stupid I am missing.

Only other thing I can think of is if HTC sync is running on your PC. Depending on which USB drivers you installed you may have HTC sync. If you do, you can either uninstall it or kill it. Check your system tray for HTC Sync.

jacrushar

Reaction score
Only other thing I can think of is if HTC sync is running on your PC. Depending on which USB drivers you installed you may have HTC sync. If you do, you can either uninstall it or kill it. Check your system tray for HTC Sync.
I have done the process both with htc sync installed but having it killed in the system tray, and again after uninstalling it. This thing just won't give up the identifier token.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have done the process both with htc sync installed but having it killed in the system tray, and again after uninstalling it. This thing just won't give up the identifier token.

Are you unplugging the phone in between attempts? This really could come down to whether or not the proper drivers are being utilized.

jacrushar

Reaction score
Are you unplugging the phone in between attempts? This really could come down to whether or not the proper drivers are being utilized.
yes I am. I have gone through and uninstalled htc sync and all the driver, reinstalled them all again and then uninstalled just htc sync again and made attempts inbetween each time unplugging the phone each time. Maybe it has something to do with the files?

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity and to throw it out there, have you rebooted the PC after uninstalling Sync?

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
yes I am. I have gone through and uninstalled htc sync and all the driver, reinstalled them all again and then uninstalled just htc sync again and made attempts inbetween each time unplugging the phone each time. Maybe it has something to do with the files?

The waiting for device indicates that fastboot can't see the phone. When you boot into HBOOT it should say Fastboot, then when you plug in the PC you should see Fastboot change to Fastboot USB. Do you see that much?

jacrushar

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity and to throw it out there, have you rebooted the PC after uninstalling Sync?
yes I have. I have done everything I can think of. Maybe I'll just give it a little break and then maybe factory reset the phone since it will happen anyways and do the entire process of installing the sdk and getting the files all over again on my pc as well.

jacrushar

Reaction score
The waiting for device indicates that fastboot can't see the phone. When you boot into HBOOT it should say Fastboot, then when you plug in the PC you should see Fastboot change to Fastboot USB. Do you see that much?
and yes I do see that happen on the phone.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok...last one...Try another USB cable and/or PC. Dang I keep thinking of things..haha. Ok if you ran the command prompt as admin, try running it normally. If you ran it normally, try running it as admin.

Last edited:

jacrushar

Reaction score
Ok...last one...Try another USB cable and/or PC. Dang I keep thinking of things..haha. Ok if you ran the command prompt as admin, try running it normally. If you ran it normally, try running it as admin.
Ok, I tried a different usb cable for all these attempts, unfortunately I don't have another computer to try it on. I reinstalled htc sync and the drivers. Restarted the pc. Exited htc in the system tray and plugged in the phone with it on the fastboot menu and gave it a try with and without admin unplugging and replugging in the device between attempts. Still <waiting for device>. Then I uninstalled htc sync completely but kept the drivers. Restarted the computer. Made attempts again with and without admin, unplugging and replugging in the divice inbetween attempts. Still <waiting for device> on all attempts. :frown: is there any other way to get the identifier token?

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately this is the only way...that's just crazy. I wish I could do it for you since I abuse my computer for this type of thing all the time.

jacrushar

Reaction score
Alright thanks for all your help. I guess I'll just go back and start from scratch over again. I'll uninstall the Android SDK Manager and delete the files I made and do the whole process over again, and if it still doesn't work, I'll factory reset the phone. I'll let you know if I have any luck, if not, I am open for ideas. Thanks again.

jacrushar

Reaction score
Would it have anything to do with the update that came out a few weeks back? I didn't think it was that major of an update.

jacrushar

Reaction score
finally got it unlocked, used a friends computer. unfortunately now rooting seems to not be working as well. I'll probably figure it out eventually.