Honest review from a critical nerd.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I found on the og droid, even when it first came out, the launchers slowed it down a ton and were very buggy. I'm guessing in the last couple years it's improved?

The bloat is enough with the verizon crap, facebook crap, twitter crap, etc.... Now Google is piling it on to the next level with a fixed search bar. Not happy at all. I'm pissed I keep checking to see when this thing comes out and now I'm probably not going to get it.

F....
rofl, Drama, drama, drama. You need to take it down a notch. launchers are not buggy in general, i know a couple are but thats to be expected with various devs. if you stick with launcherpro, golauncher, etc... the popular ones are very smooth and efficient. They run great on the D1 and even the cruddier phones.The search bar can be removed with one of these apps im sure. i personally never use it, nor ever use the button on my D1. I know Vz hasnt officially said a date but rumor is on Dec 8, which has some evidence to it. Since you probably wont get this phone then thats cool, you can wait at least 3 or 4 months for some of the quad core phones. Look at it this way, what suits your needs? i personally like getting up to date ota releases so the nexus is way to go for me. If you dislike the GN then id suggest going with rezound or waiting for quads to come out but it will be a few months before they come out. Either way, you should relax a little, its all good. Phones are coming out in a pretty steady fashion now and the usual companies are just cranking out awesome hardware. Something is out or is coming out that suits your needs.

TheBoz

Reaction score
No problems yet Boz? I hate Motorola with every fiber of my being. I don't think I can bring myself to give that company anymore of my money. Even though it's owned by Google now. If the Nexus is a crap job I don't know what the hell to do. It may be an iphone jump until the quads come out.

So far I am not seeing any issues with the Razr. It has a solid construction, Super Amoled Advance display with Gorilla Glass, 16 GB storage, 1GB RAM, microSD upgradeable to 32GB, Kevlar fiber back, etc. I mean why couldn't they build the GNex with most of these features? It just doesn't make sense to me. They could have had the best phone on the market but they went cheap with a plastic body and horrible camera among other things.

Let's face it, all the new phones out like the Razr and Rezound will all get ICS within the new couple of months so I was looking specifically at the hardware comparing the GNex with the Razr. The Razr has the better hardware and once it gets ICS it will be a well built phone with a great OS.

Now I am holding out waiting to actually see for myself what the GNex looks like and how it feels in my hand, but so far from what I am seen, I don't for see getting this phone.

mzjin

Reaction score
I found on the og droid, even when it first came out, the launchers slowed it down a ton and were very buggy. I'm guessing in the last couple years it's improved?

The bloat is enough with the verizon crap, facebook crap, twitter crap, etc.... Now Google is piling it on to the next level with a fixed search bar. Not happy at all. I'm pissed I keep checking to see when this thing comes out and now I'm probably not going to get it.

F....

The fixed search bar does affect a bit of home screen real estate, but it doesn't really do anything else...

mzjin

Reaction score
So far I am not seeing any issues with the Razr. It has a solid construction, Super Amoled Advance display with Gorilla Glass, 16 GB storage, 1GB RAM, microSD upgradeable to 32GB, Kevlar fiber back, etc. I mean why couldn't they build the GNex with most of these features? It just doesn't make sense to me. They could have had the best phone on the market but they went cheap with a plastic body and horrible camera among other things.

Let's face it, all the new phones out like the Razr and Rezound will all get ICS within the new couple of months so I was looking specifically at the hardware comparing the GNex with the Razr. The Razr has the better hardware and once it gets ICS it will be a well built phone with a great OS.

Now I am holding out waiting to actually see for myself what the GNex looks like and how it feels in my hand, but so far from what I am seen, I don't for see getting this phone.

I have a Razr now too (renting it I suppose), and better hardware? You must not have done any research.

Razr:
Awful camera
Awful battery life
Inferior screen
Weaker GPU, weaker CPU (binning)

Mine has: awful headphone jack (whine & hiss, makes this as an iPod replacement useless), dropping data signals, wiggly power button that registers twice.

The Nexus is going to be better hardware wise and software wise, barring any serious issues. So far, the reviews are, so good.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
I have a Razr now too (renting it I suppose), and better hardware? You must not have done any research.

Razr:
Awful camera
Awful battery life
Inferior screen

Mine has: awful headphone jack (whine & hiss, makes this as an iPod replacement useless), dropping data signals, wiggly power button that registers twice.

The Nexus is going to be better hardware wise and software wise, barring any serious issues. So far, the reviews are, so good.

Lol! Yep....I don't know where he got his facts from...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm sure someone will release an app called "No Search Bar" and then it's fixed.

Not a big deal.

pilot25

Reaction score
rofl, Drama, drama, drama. You need to take it down a notch. launchers are not buggy in general, i know a couple are but thats to be expected with various devs. if you stick with launcherpro, golauncher, etc... the popular ones are very smooth and efficient. They run great on the D1 and even the cruddier phones.The search bar can be removed with one of these apps im sure. i personally never use it, nor ever use the button on my D1. I know Vz hasnt officially said a date but rumor is on Dec 8, which has some evidence to it. Since you probably wont get this phone then thats cool, you can wait at least 3 or 4 months for some of the quad core phones. Look at it this way, what suits your needs? i personally like getting up to date ota releases so the nexus is way to go for me. If you dislike the GN then id suggest going with rezound or waiting for quads to come out but it will be a few months before they come out. Either way, you should relax a little, its all good. Phones are coming out in a pretty steady fashion now and the usual companies are just cranking out awesome hardware. Something is out or is coming out that suits your needs.

I tried launchers about a year ago and every single one of them bogged down my OG Droid.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I tried launchers about a year ago and every single one of them bogged down my OG Droid.
Well, ive been through 3 d1s in the past 2 years and ive used launcher pro for that time (maybe not for the first month or so i had it) they arnt bogged at all. Im not sure what you are experiencing with yours but maybe its an issue i can help with. Im quite good at find pesky problems. Im pretty sure launchers arnt your problem.. i just have to much time into them with many separate different d1's (many in addition to the 3 ive owned) to know that they dont bog down your phone. First off, some launchers are so lightweight that they use less resources then the stock one. so it bogging down the phone is ridiculous. Stereotyping all launchers into a bad category is a nono. Its like games.... Are you really going to play one game of tetris on your phone and be like "Games suck." o_O Why dont you try whipping out some launchers now and playing with them. Dont download home+, Panda whatever, or any of the intense ones. If you stick to the reliables your going to be in good shape.

mzjin

Reaction score
Well, ive been through 3 d1s in the past 2 years and ive used launcher pro for that time (maybe not for the first month or so i had it) they arnt bogged at all. Im not sure what you are experiencing with yours but maybe its an issue i can help with. Im quite good at find pesky problems. Im pretty sure launchers arnt your problem.. i just have to much time into them with many separate different d1's (many in addition to the 3 ive owned) to know that they dont bog down your phone. First off, some launchers are so lightweight that they use less resources then the stock one. so it bogging down the phone is ridiculous. Stereotyping all launchers into a bad category is a nono. Its like games.... Are you really going to play one game of tetris on your phone and be like "Games suck." o_O Why dont you try whipping out some launchers now and playing with them. Dont download home+, Panda whatever, or any of the intense ones. If you stick to the reliables your going to be in good shape.

ICS would be a complete fail if I had to use a launcher with it.

I'm with Engadget on this one, I *really hate the skins and launchers and all this crap that needs to put on top of Android just to make it tolerable. If ICS still needs it, I'm done, back to iOS and wait for iPhone 5 for 4G.

I would not mind rooting and removing the search bar and putting the search button back as a soft button. Having 3 functions at the bottom while there is plenty of room for a 4th makes no sense. And I do use Long hold Search -> Voice Control. Maybe because Siri does it this way (why is it that everybody follows in Apple's footsteps?).

Last edited by a moderator:

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
ICS would be a complete fail if I had to use a launcher with it.

I'm with Engadget on this one, I *really hate the skins and launchers and all this crap that needs to put on top of Android just to make it tolerable. If ICS still needs it, I'm done, back to iOS and wait for iPhone 5 for 4G.

I would not mind rooting and removing the search bar and putting the search button back as a soft button. Having 3 functions at the bottom while there is plenty of room for a 4th makes no sense. And I do use Long hold Search -> Voice Control. Maybe because Siri does it this way (why is it that everybody follows in Apple's footsteps?).

Android OS doesn't need "crap on top of it" to make it tolerable, companies just want to differentiate themselves from one another so they create their own skins to do so. I agree it's not needed and there would be less fragmentation if companies were to stick with vanilla android.

I think you have it backwards, the OG used long hold to search first, Siri came about a year ago from an app designer that Apple later bought and added to the 4s as a feature.

I don't think you can blame google for wanting to put their search bar on their one phone they release every year, I do think it should be an option to remove it and put the search button on the bottom menu.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheBoz

Reaction score

Razr:
Awful camera
Awful battery life
Inferior screen

Lol! Yep....I don't know where he got his facts from...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Are you sure you did you research and got you facts straight? Let's see....

You can't honestly believe that camera is better on the GNex than the Razr.

Camera:
Razr - 8MP autofocus w/LED flash image stabilizer
GNex - 5MP autofocus w/LED flash zero shutter lag

...and the camera on the Razr is awful? What does that make the camera on the GNex?

Rarz has a 1780 mAh battery while the GNex have the 1750 mAh. So if the battery is awful on the Razr, I guess it is terrible on the GNex, however the Razr comes with Smart Action which has proven to give me and many others extended battery life. There are many posts on the web that explain how to use this. Try reading some of those posts and you might change your opinion.

Processor:
Both use a 1.2 GHz dual-core Texas Instruments System-On-Chip Open Multimedia Application Platform processor.

Razr: TI OMAP 4430 - 1GHz and 304MHz
GNex: TI OMAP 4460 - GNex 1.5gz and 384MHz

The GNex has faster processor but honestly I don't think I would notice much of a difference.

The GNex has No expandable Storage and No HDMI support.

Both will eventually have the same software so using that as an argument is weak.

Both phones are nice but personally I think the Razr is better contracted. That is just my opinion so take it for what it is worth. As I said in my previous post, once it comes out I will go to my local store and see how it feels in my hand and make a final determination then, but going off what I have read and seen so far in videos, I don't feel it is better. If you love the phone go buy it. If it did not come with ICS would you still buy it?

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just a correction, the Gnex in the US is now an 1850 mAh battery.

I think the camera issue is, we're still seeing the same issues with the Razr's as we did with the Bionic, bad lenses.

Last edited:

NewAge

XOOM Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The Stock ICS launcher will probably be replaced by ADW EX. If its anything like the Honeycomb launcher there will be much to be desired. There is a lot of screen realestate that is not utilized and options that arent available like after market launchers. Maybe this has changed, but from the videos it doesnt look like it.

But thats the great thing about Android. Whats good for some isnt for others and we have a choice of launchers.

pyro6128

Reaction score
Are you sure you did you research and got you facts straight? Let's see....

You can't honestly believe that camera is better on the GNex than the Razr.

Camera:
Razr - 8MP autofocus w/LED flash image stabilizer
GNex - 5MP autofocus w/LED flash zero shutter lag

...and the camera on the Razr is awful? What does that make the camera on the GNex?

My god, how many times does it need to be said that mp=/=quality. MP correlate to the size of the image. We need to have some public service announcements on tv or something. Its amazing how people fall for advertisements so blindly.