Horrible battery drain with JB update....

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
With all due respect I would like to see a screen shot of this. If anything you could be the deal breaker on the battery.

Ok, if you'd read any of maybe 60% of my GS3 posts, you'd see me doing nothing but praising the GS3 battery and how grateful I am for it. I'll say it one more time. This. Is. Not. Normal. That's why you can't figure it out. Because it's not supposed to happen. This is more extreme than if you were using an OG Droid with every setting on, full brightness while the browser is open and streaming Netflix. Something is wrong. And unless you experience it yourself, you won't understand. I'd suggest not trying to figure it out because if it's confusing the hell out of those of us who ARE experiencing it, so I can't imagine the effect on someone who isn't. Not trying to sound harsh here, I'm just saying stop suggesting battery saver because that's not the problem.

A beginning update, but it looks like my battery life has improved slightly after the FDR. Emphasis on slightly. Not jumping to any conclusions just yet though.

It's all good bro ..if I am awake tonight, new meds, either/or tomorrow ad take a SS and show SS's of data usage, apps, etc .. I'm on your side :)

music life

Reaction score
Im still losing 23-31% while i sleep.. which is about 6 hours.

That's crazy imo. I went from charging my phone every other day to charging it 2 times a day to make sure I have good enough battery... Might be time to figure out how to go back to ICS.. Bc I dont know how :s

OP
MyEntityRemains
Reaction score
Here's what I discovered....When I would press "battery" to see what resources were sucking the life out of the battery, it showed "Google services" were taking up a fair amount. "Phone idle" wasn't shown at all. So, I bit the bullet and did yet another reset, and now "phone idle" shows up and "google services" is gone...And, the battery is discharging at less that 1% per hour. This is totally acceptable!

rckrz6

Reaction score
I find that google maps chews up more battery then anything. Its doing 25% even after a factory reset. My old bionic on ics never had more then 3 % battery when not used

OP
MyEntityRemains
Reaction score
I find that google maps chews up more battery then anything. Its doing 25% even after a factory reset. My old bionic on ics never had more then 3 % battery when not used

Actually, Google Maps was one of the apps shown in "google services"....

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Here's what I discovered....When I would press "battery" to see what resources were sucking the life out of the battery, it showed "Google services" were taking up a fair amount. "Phone idle" wasn't shown at all. So, I bit the bullet and did yet another reset, and now "phone idle" shows up and "google services" is gone...And, the battery is discharging at less that 1% per hour. This is totally acceptable!

Interesting. So no setting changes or anything? Are you rooted and/or unlocked? How long were you playing GTA? This was just a normal factory reset through the "Back up and reset" option in the settings?

For me, oddly enough, maps was the biggest battery drainer today according to my stock battery reading which had it at 20%. No navigation and GPS was off according to the little sliding menu in the notification bar. But Gsam lists maps at 2.1% and Google Services/Kernel are tied for 13%, Android System is at 10%, all 4 of which are higher than they used to be. So it's like when I flashed it something wasn't removed and it's running in the background but I just can't get to it. So even though I did one another FDR does sort of make sense...

OP
MyEntityRemains
Reaction score
I never play GTA...That is someone elses screenshot! LOL.....I am rooted and unlocked, but running stock. I did an FDR and it began showing phone idle again. I am certain Google Now was not letting my phone sleep. I did make sure Google Now was turned off. that's the only setting I tweaked.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I never play GTA...That is someone elses screenshot! LOL.....I am rooted and unlocked, but running stock. I did an FDR and it began showing phone idle again. I am certain Google Now was not letting my phone sleep. I did make sure Google Now was turned off. that's the only setting I tweaked.

Lol, good call. Guess I was just kinda glancing up real quick. But I'm going to turn off Google Now tonight, see how that pans out, and if no difference then I'm going to do another FDR tomorrow. Will post back with my results!!! *crosses fingers*

OP
MyEntityRemains
Reaction score
Lol, good call. Guess I was just kinda glancing up real quick. But I'm going to turn off Google Now tonight, see how that pans out, and if no difference then I'm going to do another FDR tomorrow. Will post back with my results!!! *crosses fingers*

Good luck. It worked for me! I was ready to ditch the S3! LOL

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
I will turn off Google now too I suppose (with a heavy heart...) but I think that the huge amount of ram that it's being taken up... After I clear it within 10 minutes it back.

View attachment 59443

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Well I stopped using widget locker, left on only 1 gps, and turned off google now.....and it's getting worse.

Updates should not be this complicated :blink:

OP
MyEntityRemains
Reaction score
Well I stopped using widget locker, left on only 1 gps, and turned off google now.....and it's getting worse.

Updates should not be this complicated :blink:

In absolutely agree! However, after my last FDR, I was getting less than 1% drop per hour, which is totally acceptable.. I went ahead and flashed the Executioner 2.5 ROM, and my battery is insane now. 2%-3% every hour. This ROM is rock solid too.