How do I get back to a stock recovery in order to accept OTA?

amajamar

Reaction score
My phone is asking me every 30 seconds to upgrade. It won't install, because I believe that the CWM recovery is preventing it. I do not have an alternate recovery in CWM, so no luck there. I am running stock, rooted, installed with the Wug tool.

Do I just unroot with the Wug tool or is there a better (easier!) solution?

Any suggestions?

steveil

Reaction score
My phone is asking me every 30 seconds to upgrade. It won't install, because I believe that the CWM recovery is preventing it. I do not have an alternate recovery in CWM, so no luck there. I am running stock, rooted, installed with the Wug tool.

Do I just unroot with the Wug tool or is there a better (easier!) solution?

Any suggestions?

Curious about this also.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I'm sure you could use wug's toolkit. I use this to go back to stock: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=188161
[How To] Return your Galaxy Nexus to 100% Stock, Locked Bootloader

Tapped from a Galaxy Nexus using Xparent ICS

Last edited:
OP
A

amajamar

Reaction score
I got it handled. I needed to use Wug's tool to flash the stock recovery (which is downloaded when installing Wug's the first time.) The update installed immediately after doing so. I suppose I can re flash cwm now. Wug's tool is really great, it can do whatever I need anyway. One thing, I did lose root, however, I did use Rootkeeper and it fixed it instantly.

MikeSkillZ

Reaction score
Im having the same problem, I have CWM flashed. So it wont accept the OTA to JB. But i have a mac and the link mentioned above is for PC. Can i get some help?

I was rooted. I went back to 4.0.4. and relocked bootloader. Just need to get back to stock recovery, i think...

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Im having the same problem, I have CWM flashed. So it wont accept the OTA to JB. But i have a mac and the link mentioned above is for PC. Can i get some help?

I was rooted. I went back to 4.0.4. and relocked bootloader. Just need to get back to stock recovery, i think...

You know how to use fastboot? Just fastboot the stock recovery img

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

MikeSkillZ

Reaction score
You know how to use fastboot? Just fastboot the stock recovery img

i kinda know how to use it from the terminal...im just trying to find the stock image now

i just flash it through fastboot right?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
i kinda know how to use it from the terminal...im just trying to find the stock image now

i just flash it through fastboot right?

Yes.

Fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
ok im going to give it hell right now ... this is really pissing me off

Let me know how it goes. On a Mac I think you need to preface your fastboot as:

./fastboot

If you run into problems, I'm happy to help. I use Linux so a lot of the commands are similar.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
ok just did that...went to go into recovery and it took me to the dead droid with a ! screen :/

This?

images

That's stock recovery.

MikeSkillZ

Reaction score
yes thats the screen....ok so thats stock recovery?? so i should be good to go ahead and restart the phone? and that brings me completely stock?? relock bootloader of course...but i should be good ?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
yes thats the screen....ok so thats stock recovery?? so i should be good to go ahead and restart the phone? and that brings me completely stock?? relock bootloader of course...but i should be good ?

You don't need to relock the bootloader if you don't want to. Should be able to just reboot. Take the OTA once it's downloaded and you should be good. Assuming you haven't removed any system apps and still have the stock kernel.

MikeSkillZ

Reaction score
You don't need to relock the bootloader if you don't want to. Should be able to just reboot. Take the OTA once it's downloaded and you should be good. Assuming you haven't removed any system apps and still have the stock kernel.

i dont think ive removed any system apps...lol and i hope im on the stock kernel. Thanks for the help. it was that stupid fastboot command, i forgot to type recovery twice...*facepalm*