How long do I wait on the triangle screen before I try to fix things?

rjax

Reaction score
I finally took the root plunge for the first time, thought I had read plenty about how it works with Rom Manager and Clockwork, but now I'm a little uncertain about what to do.

I gave ROM Manager the go-ahead to install CM 6.02 RC (after flashing the Clockwork Recovery and making a backup of my stock 2.1 ROM with ROM Manager), and I've been stuck on the on the triangle/yellow exclamation point/phone screen for a good 20-30 minutes now.

I don't want to interrupt the process if it's almost finished, but since I thought it would be about 10 minutes at most to flash the CM ROM, I'm wondering what I should do now. Battery pull and reboot into recovery, presumably?

(I did check the boxes in ROM Manager to backup the ROM (again) and wipe the data/cache before installing CM,)

Last edited:
OP
R

rjax

Reaction score
I tapped the power button to see if it would do anything, and it did -- my Droid turned off. So I turned again normally, and everything loaded back to my rooted 2.1 ROM, including all my apps and data. Any idea what happened/what I did wrong?

WhosToBlame

Reaction score
Sounds to me you didn't flash a custom recovery image correctly before installing CM 6. Pull the battery and power the phone back up again. Go to ROM Manager and and hit the menu button and go to settings I believe and check erase recovery. Flash Clockwork recovery three times in a row or when you get confirmation of flashed recovery within a split second. Go ahead and download CM 6 again and let it do its thing.

Note:

The triangle with the exclamation point is the stock recovery for the Motorola Droid.

Hope this helps

OP
R

rjax

Reaction score
Yep, CM6 RC2 is running great, thanks!

Tried installing an OC kernel from ROM Manager, but that didn't go so well (got stuck on the M logo, and was happy to find out Clockwork Recovery worked like it should) -- I guess because it wasn't very compatible with RC2. But the Froyo experience is snappy enough that I can wait on kernels for a while.

However, if I do decide to go for a kernel like one of Chevy's that isn't in ROM Manager, is this how I would do it?

Find and download the kernel I want from the internet.
Rename the kernel update.zip and place it on the root of my sd card
Boot into Clockwork Recovery and tell it to install update.zip

WhosToBlame

Reaction score
Yes but I think, Koush and the rest of the cyanogenmod team, have said to use specific kernels for that ROM. Also try some with higher voltage. Some phones do not like the low voltage kernels

SurlyDroid60640

Reaction score
CyanogenMod Logo in a loop

I took the plunge recently too and installed Cyanogenmod 6. I had the same problems that 'rjax' had below but fixed them per 'WhosToBlames' suggestions. My Droid booted up after the install but now it istuck. The CyanogenMod Logo plays continuously; it's stuck in a loop. Any suggestions on how to fix? Or am I SOL?

Thanks for the help.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Can you boot into recovery mode

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Do not know if you are still online or not, but if so reboot into recovery.
And try to flash another rom. If you can not boot into recovery use rsdlite.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
What bootloader do you have? If you have 2C. 7C. you'll probably want to stay away from ROM Manager as it's a bear to reflash recovery images if it borks them -- and it seems to have a fondness for doing that to people unused to rooting phones.