How much faster could the Bionic be vs the TB?

loki993

Reaction score
This is the question. Lets take 2 scenarios. First is rooted vs rooted, saying there is some miracle that will allow us access the the Bionics bootloader.

The second and probably more realistic one is a rooted TB vs and unrooted Bionic.

They both have 1gig processors, yes the Bionic is dual core but that's moot right now in anything but benchmarks. So thats a wash I think.

The TB has 768megs, while the Bionic has 512 supposedly. But the Bionic has DDR2 and the TB does not. How much of a difference does that make or is that a wash too becasue the TB has more?

So that's the question, which phone should perform better in the long run. I'm still trying to figure out if I should wait for the Bionic or not. I like the TB, I just don't like the price right now and I don't want to be stuck with it if for whatever reason the Bionic ends up being much better. It would also be great to know the final specs on the Bionic, but thats a different story.

vzdroid13

Reaction score
The Bionic will definitly be better for the long run. Google is well aware that multicore processors will be the standard for smartphones in a very short time and I would bet that they are working to optimize android to use the cores, and once that happens, the Bionic will even faster than the Thunderbolt. DDR2 RAM is significantly faster as well. Unless you plan to buy a Thunderbolt on a one year contract (while you still can) and will get the even better dual core phones in a year, you should wait for the Bionic.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I dont think dual core is moot. Either way you cut it dual core IS going to be better than single core any day any time. The Bionic should....should crush the Tbolt. Don't believe? take 2 computers that are identical except one is running P4 and the other is running Core 2 Duo....see if you see a difference.....I am telling you...the single core is going to fail when compared to the dual. The Bionic should by all means be....well....twice as strong as the Tbolt....meaning although it may run at the same speed or a tad faster....it will take twice as long to bog down.

But all that was just about the CPU.....now you are talking about DDR2.....no competition anymore....RAM twice as fast....CPU twice as strong....what do you think? It's like racing a V6 against a V12.....I don't know how the DDR2 would fit.....maybe a V12 with NOS....think it's gonna be even close?

Even if you cut the RAM in half....the DDR2 is still going to crush the other stuff. 512 of DDR2 is way faster than a gig or even gig and a half of just DDR

Last edited:

Exayex

Reaction score
Keep in mind dual core should be better on battery plus the Bionic's battery is much larger. Yes, this thread is about speed, but all that speed is moot when you're battery is dead...

Also, dual core should handle multi-tasking a lot better and not get bogged down as much as the Thunderbolt does.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Even if you cut the RAM in half....the DDR2 is still going to crush the other stuff. 512 of DDR2 is way faster than a gig or even gig and a half of just DDR

Unless you need more than 512 of ram to accomplish what you want to do....In that case, the Bionic is like a race car that doesn't start.

MrNiceGuy

Reaction score
tbolt on a 1 yr now, upgrade next april to a dual core better than bionic = winning!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
How much faster do you want it to be? Seriously, I don't understand these kind of questions. What I'm trying to say is we all know it will be faster then the Original Droid, but in my mind the OG wasn't that slow. I guess I feel that way because of the fact that I had a Blackberry Storm for over a year.

Beardface

Reaction score

Unless you need more than 512 of ram to accomplish what you want to do....In that case, the Bionic is like a race car that doesn't start.
Exactly

The reason I went with the TBolt is because of issues like this. TBolt will be able to do more just because it has more RAM. The Bionic, with all its speed, is still held back by specs like this that are already outdated. Especially when you realize the Atrix has 1GB of RAM with the same processor!

Sure, the dual cores are the way of the future, but that future is a ways off. We certainly won't see that much of a hinderance over the next year or two by getting the Thunderbolt, especially when it can be rooted and overclocked and the Bionic cannot and likely will not.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score

ok....yes you are totally correct.

MissSpiffy

Reaction score
I dont think dual core is moot. Either way you cut it dual core IS going to be better than single core any day any time. The Bionic should....should crush the Tbolt. Don't believe? take 2 computers that are identical except one is running P4 and the other is running Core 2 Duo....see if you see a difference.....I am telling you...the single core is going to fail when compared to the dual. The Bionic should by all means be....well....twice as strong as the Tbolt....meaning although it may run at the same speed or a tad faster....it will take twice as long to bog down.

But all that was just about the CPU.....now you are talking about DDR2.....no competition anymore....RAM twice as fast....CPU twice as strong....what do you think? It's like racing a V6 against a V12.....I don't know how the DDR2 would fit.....maybe a V12 with NOS....think it's gonna be even close?

First of all, Andrioid 2.2, 2.3, probably not even 2.4 are optimized to take advantage of dual core processors. Any computer nerd should know that software dictates the best use of hardware. Secondly, in the processing world, 1+1 does NOT equal 2. The bionic processor is NOT a 2 Ghz processor. It means that it can effectively run 2 processes faster once the software can tell it to. Bottom line is that right now it IS a moot point.

Additionally, I'm not convinced that the Bionic's ram is DDR2, because that spec is not consistent across various tech blogs. It's not listed as DDR2 ram on Motorola's official website. Right now it's a rumor. Besides, I've spoken to some of my computer nerdp people who are not convinced that DDR2 would even be better. I'm not going to convince you, do some research. So that makes the guaranteed 756 on the TB quite alluring.

Finally, let's discuss the software. Sense UI has a reputative for being incredibly fast. Most people are just not crazy about Motoblur, and I admit, some don't like Sense, but Sense is probably the only really involved UI that doesn't slow you don't, and actually works with the phone to make it faster. However, the whole discussion on UI is really biased, so It's not usually a good decider.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score

First of all, Andrioid 2.2, 2.3, probably not even 2.4 are optimized to take advantage of dual core processors. Any computer nerd should know that software dictates the best use of hardware. Secondly, in the processing world, 1+1 does NOT equal 2. The bionic processor is NOT a 2 Ghz processor. It means that it can effectively run 2 processes faster once the software can tell it to. Bottom line is that right now it IS a moot point.

Additionally, I'm not convinced that the Bionic's ram is DDR2, because that spec is not consistent across various tech blogs. It's not listed as DDR2 ram on Motorola's official website. Right now it's a rumor. Besides, I've spoken to some of my computer nerdp people who are not convinced that DDR2 would even be better. I'm not going to convince you, do some research. So that makes the guaranteed 756 on the TB quite alluring.

Finally, let's discuss the software. Sense UI has a reputative for being incredibly fast. Most people are just not crazy about Motoblur, and I admit, some don't like Sense, but Sense is probably the only really involved UI that doesn't slow you don't, and actually works with the phone to make it faster. However, the whole discussion on UI is really biased, so It's not usually a good decider.

you are correct that software dictates. What I was trying to say is not that the dual core is twice as fast but as stated will take twice as much to bog down. Simply put it can carry twice as much weight so to speak.

OP
L

loki993

Reaction score

you are correct that software dictates. What I was trying to say is not that the dual core is twice as fast but as stated will take twice as much to bog down. Simply put it can carry twice as much weight so to speak.

You are correct to a point, but if the software doesn't know how to multithread how will it make any difference?

In kinda thinking TB on a one year and wait for whatever dual core, or even quad, HTC phone that comes next.

vzdroid13

Reaction score
Google should make manufactures put the option to disable the skin and use Vanilla. Pure android is getting better and better, and its a shame that you can only experience it on the Nexus phones. Google is working hard to refine their OS and barely anyone gets to use it the way they designed it. Its not that Sense or Blur is bad, I just think it would be really nice to have the option to use Stock.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
The dual core processors share the load already regardless of full software optimization . It's not a lot but they do. Also, I wish that we could see the clock speeds of the phone ram. That would settle some of the debate. (welcome to nerdville!)

Last edited:

dparm

Reaction score
Multi core will be faster, but not as fast as it possibly could be. That speed will come when Google improves the multi-threading capabilities of Android.