[HOW TO] get updates on your modified Motorola DROID Bionic

kamisan

Reaction score
Th3ory rom

This is a weird one. On my phone, under settings-phone, the version reads "5.5.893.XT875.Verizon.en.US. Now i did not do any of the revert to stock, etc. I only flashed Theory rom 2.0 and Liberty 1.0. My question is, do i have the update or not?

You see the .893 but that is only the system, your kernel and radio are still the old .886 The locked bootloader makes it so only using the stock recovery will let you change that. (until they figure out an unlock method) When you flash a leaked OTA (not a rom from a dev) you do so from stock and in stock recovery and then your radio and kernel are updated to whatever OTA you flashed... it seems the ota's are specific,, IE... if you flashed 5.7.893 the 5.8.894 will not flash, and 5.7.893 wants you to be 5.5.893 before it flashes.. At least it was that way for my bionic.. I am hoping the files on page one will get me back to .886 kernel and radio so I can run the .8.894 or whatever else comes out.. Moto /VZW seem to be on an unfriendly upgrade path for who knows what reason..

MonkeyTime

Reaction score
You see the .893 but that is only the system, your kernel and radio are still the old .886 The locked bootloader makes it so only using the stock recovery will let you change that. (until they figure out an unlock method) When you flash a leaked OTA (not a rom from a dev) you do so from stock and in stock recovery and then your radio and kernel are updated to whatever OTA you flashed... it seems the ota's are specific,, IE... if you flashed 5.7.893 the 5.8.894 will not flash, and 5.7.893 wants you to be 5.5.893 before it flashes.. At least it was that way for my bionic.. I am hoping the files on page one will get me back to .886 kernel and radio so I can run the .8.894 or whatever else comes out.. Moto /VZW seem to be on an unfriendly upgrade path for who knows what reason..

Unless I've read about 120 pages between here, XDA and Rootzwiki, and misunderstood them all lol, no, it won't take you back to .886. At this time, there is no return. You can follow the path and move forward, at least as far as 5.7.893 from my understanding......

c_mack9

Reaction score
ok im rooted, 4ever root script added, i uninstalled some bloatware but i think i got it all installed now. the OTA update has a install failure. will the instructions in the OP get me to where it will install on its own?

c_mack9

Reaction score
actually, please ellaborate a little more on the instructions. how do you get to fastboot and how do you get to command terminal from there? ive never been in fastboot so i dont know what it looks like yet.

bros

Reaction score
OTA installation fail on droid bionic after flashing leak .893 updated fix.

Hi there, I have droid bionic that i have flash the leak .893 last month and rooted, I just recently unroot and flash back to stock with Windows_One-click_Fastboot_Restore_and_Root to receive ota update, However i can complete download the update but it fail when installing it.
So this is what i did:Manually did the recovery by hold power and both volume button and wipe data factory rest and wipe cash, then reboot my bionic.
Then use the:Windows_One-click_Fastboot_Restore_and_Root again. after done the phone reboot and don't log in to google account just skip everything,
Try download the update and follow the on screen. It work for me, I am now on 5.5.893 OTA, the installation complete successfully.
Hope this help!!

bilbobaggins

Reaction score
OTA installation fail on droid bionic after flashing leak .893 updated fix.

Hi there, I have droid bionic that i have flash the leak .893 last month and rooted, I just recently unroot and flash back to stock with Windows_One-click_Fastboot_Restore_and_Root to receive ota update, However i can complete download the update but it fail when installing it.
So this is what i did:Manually did the recovery by hold power and both volume button and wipe data factory rest and wipe cash, then reboot my bionic.
Then use the:Windows_One-click_Fastboot_Restore_and_Root again. after done the phone reboot and don't log in to google account just skip everything,
Try download the update and follow the on screen. It work for me, I am now on 5.5.893 OTA, the installation complete successfully.
Hope this help!!
Sorry to bother you. I have 2 questions. Could you please tell me what the Baseband Version and Kernel version is that you have now? and if you recall what it was before you updated?Thanks

MrCapcom

Reaction score
I did this method to get to stock and now it own't let me root. Should I do a full factory restore? I notice all my apps are there still

bilbobaggins

Reaction score
I did this method to get to stock and now it own't let me root. Should I do a full factory restore? I notice all my apps are there still

did you check the boxes in Applications? third party apps should be checked as well as Debug, I don't have the exact name but it's the second from the bottom on the applications menu. I don't have my droid, it's in the Motorola Hospital because of the leaked update.

MrCapcom

Reaction score
yea it keep saying it don' thave write permissions i tried petes root tools and that don't work

Should I do a factory restore and try rooting again?

MrCapcom

Reaction score
I just tried it and it still won't root it. I don't know what im doing wrong it keep saying it can't write

deathwhitch

Reaction score
Ok so I have a problem, I have never installed any leaks or taken any OTA updates, been running Liberty rom unsafe with ICS alpha on safe. Tried this method to get back to stock so I could update. Never uninstalled safestrap or anything just followed the OP instructions and got myself back to stock rom and lost root. Still on .886 when I try to take the OTA update it downloads and starts to install then fails about 1/3 of the way through every time, no reason given.

My question how do I get the ota update (if I do it manually I want it to be the same as the OTA NO LEAKS trying to stay on the official update path) so I would I get it to take the OTA or where does in download to by default so I can install in myself using stock recovery

bilbobaggins

Reaction score
Ok so I have a problem, I have never installed any leaks or taken any OTA updates, been running Liberty rom unsafe with ICS alpha on safe. Tried this method to get back to stock so I could update. Never uninstalled safestrap or anything just followed the OP instructions and got myself back to stock rom and lost root. Still on .886 when I try to take the OTA update it downloads and starts to install then fails about 1/3 of the way through every time, no reason given.

My question how do I get the ota update (if I do it manually I want it to be the same as the OTA NO LEAKS trying to stay on the official update path) so I would I get it to take the OTA or where does in download to by default so I can install in myself using stock recovery

try to move the OTA from your cache to your ext SD card. this will allow you to install from stock recovery. That's will probably still fail but it will at least give you the failure code. Altered or missing system files will cause an update failure. You will need Root Explorer to see it. it will be in r/o mode but you should be able to copy it.

deathwhitch

Reaction score
try to move the OTA from your cache to your ext SD card. this will allow you to install from stock recovery. That's will probably still fail but it will at least give you the failure code. Altered or missing system files will cause an update failure. You will need Root Explorer to see it. it will be in r/o mode but you should be able to copy it.
I looked in every cache folder using root explorer and cant find the update, whats the actual file name as Im guessing its not "update.zip" lol

bilbobaggins

Reaction score
try forcing the update download again but then choose to install later. if you can't see it in the cache then it must be because you aren't rooted.