How To Remove Bloatware Bookmarks in your Browser

cgrimm9

Reaction score
Dont know if this will work with the OTA 2.2 I would not recommend doing this since there is no way to fix your bricked phone. Since the sbf file will not bring your phone up and running again.This is for the leaked 2.2
you want to delete the annoying bookmarks on your DX here is how
Follow these simple steps:

Download modified defaults.xml file.
Download Link Here:

Using root explorer copy it.
Navigate to folder, system/etc/motorola/com.android.browser/
Then Mount R/O
Then paste modified defaults.xml, overwriting the current stock defaults.xml
Reboot
Viola! No more Verizon Wireless page bookmark!

You are the only one responsible for any damage done to your device while using or attemptin to use this modification. Droidforums.net and I am not responsible for anything that may happen, This has been tested and I am confident that it will work. This is meant for ADVANCED OR KNOWLEDGEABLE USERS ONLY!

If you would like to manually edit XML and Modify yourself :
Simply Locate defaults.xml in folder described above.
Change :
int name=”preloaded_bookmark” value=”2″/
Change Value to 0
Should now look like so:
int name=”preloaded_bookmark” value=”0″/

after doing this you can now delete any bookmarks on your phone by holding your finger on the bookmark and selecting delete. must be rooted to do this.

wpid-CAP2010091611291.jpg

Last edited:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Seems like a lot of work just to delete one bookmark.

just4747

Reaction score
Nice. What site/page did you find the framework for the Galaxy S blue icon status bar OP?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Simple enough, don't know how I missed that

just4747

Reaction score
Thanks OP. Actually I found it last night as well but now someone else has a much better version that's actually available in ROMManager.

Here: [Q] Samsung Galaxy S Theme
And his site is here: http://www.onix-android.com/

Also, Droids, that is able to be done on the X as well, but there are a handful of stock bookmarks that do not have a delete option. There are only a few like the Mobile Google page and the Verizon one..

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Will this work on an Original Droid ?
This must be a Blur thing. Droid 1 allows you to long press and delete bookmarks in the stock browser.

Same for the X the only one you can't do it on is the one for the verizon home page. Think ignoring 1 bookmark is easier than having something else that might have to be put back to stock before upgrading.

Reaction score
am i the only one who seems to be missing something in the defaults.xml file? i was rooted and on the first 2.2 leak...then tranquilty....i SBFed 2 days ago with no problem and now im just running 2.1 rooted...when i go into the defaults.xml with root explorer this is all that is there

<map><string name='homepage'>http://www.google.com/m?client=ms-android-verizon&amp;source=android-home</string><boolean name='fix_picasa' value='false'/></map>

thats it...i even long pressed and hit select all before i copied it to make sure there was nothing missed..

OP
C

cgrimm9

Reaction score
Same for the X the only one you can't do it on is the one for the verizon home page. Think ignoring 1 bookmark is easier than having something else that might have to be put back to stock before upgrading.
I don't really think you need the bookmarks to upgrade. personally I am not going to upgrade I am happy with my phone right now. motorola is doing me a favor by not having any way of updating to the final release if I am running to leaked version.

am i the only one who seems to be missing something in the defaults.xml file? i was rooted and on the first 2.2 leak...then tranquilty....i SBFed 2 days ago with no problem and now im just running 2.1 rooted...when i go into the defaults.xml with root explorer this is all that is there

<map><string name='homepage'>http://www.google.com/m?client=ms-android-verizon&amp;source=android-home</string><boolean name='fix_picasa' value='false'/></map>

thats it...i even long pressed and hit select all before i copied it to make sure there was nothing missed..

I have not seen this. you sure you are looking at the right file.

GHII

Reaction score
Hmm...I edited my xml file in root explorer, saved it, and it looks just like the one provided..but I still can't delete my preloaded bookmarks.

technique

Reaction score

Same here. I believe this thread only applies to froyo (2.2).

OP
C

cgrimm9

Reaction score
im on froyo I don't know if it works on any other 2.1