How to root the Droid X with OTA Gingerbread

wdcspurs

Reaction score
I just received the OTA Gingerbread update for my Droid X. When I had Froyo, i was able to use Z4Root to get it rooted. Will that work as well for the new gingerbread OTA. All I can find so far are instructions that push you to be running Froyo and use a leaked,rooted version of gingerbread, which is the current build. If rooting the OTA version isnt possible at this time, will it be in the future?

leonozug

Reaction score
Hopefully there will be a method to root it with an .apk like Z4Root or Gingerbreak, but right now nothing works to root it that way. Gingerbreak would root the leaks up until .595. I'm sure people are working on cracking it.

The only thing you can do right now is to SBF your X to .340 and do a factory reset, get back on 2.2.1 and root it with Z4Root and install the Droid 2 Bootstrap recovery and install the two part patched update method P3Droid has on mydroidworld.com. That's your only option right now.

zackmobis

Reaction score
I dont think that GB OTA can be rooted at this time but i am hoping it will be available soon.

OP
wdcspurs

wdcspurs

Reaction score
Thanks!

I appreciate it fellas! Im new to my Droid X, and love that the OS finally got updated, but I am ready for a simple root process like what was available on Froyo. I assume it will take a little bit for it to occur, but Ill keep my eyes open and post a link on this thread when I come across one, and ask that you do the same as well.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
You cannot root this OTA yet. You have to download and install pre-rooted version if you want root.

nscra

Reaction score
I think that I am going to have to wait for a one-click root option for the OTA Gingerbread.

My only other option is sbf back to froyo 2.3.340, and do a factory reset, get back on 2.2.1 and root it with Z4Root and install the Droid 2 Bootstrap recovery and install the two part patched update but I still haven't found any detailed step-by-step instructions that tell me exactly how to do all of that.

Has anyone seen any? Link?

leonozug

Reaction score
I think that I am going to have to wait for a one-click root option for the OTA Gingerbread.

My only other option is sbf back to froyo 2.3.340, and do a factory reset, get back on 2.2.1 and root it with Z4Root and install the Droid 2 Bootstrap recovery and install the two part patched update but I still haven't found any detailed step-by-step instructions that tell me exactly how to do all of that.

Has anyone seen any? Link?

I take it you never tried Mydroidworld? That's P3Droid's site. That's where you want to go for DX stuff. Go here and everything you need is in this post...
Official DX Gingerbread 2.3.3 (4.5.596) Release Thread - Something for everyone

nscra

Reaction score
That thread is 93 pages pages long. I couldn't find detailed step-by-step instructions, only general instructions for people who already seem to know what to do. I saw several people in that thread asked for detailed step-by-instructions on how to sbf from OTA Gingerbread back to Froyo 2.3.340 and then install rooted Gingerbread but never received them.

I liked one of the comments in that thread:

"I am looking for a dumbed down step by step. I am relatively tech savvy, I just don't want to make any rookie mistakes."

I am in the same situation.

leonozug

Reaction score
That thread is 93 pages pages long. I couldn't find detailed step-by-step instructions, only general instructions for people who already seem to know what to do. I saw several people in that thread asked for detailed step-by-instructions on how to sbf from OTA Gingerbread back to Froyo 2.3.340 and then install rooted Gingerbread but never received them.

I liked one of the comments in that thread:

"I am looking for a dumbed down step by step. I am relatively tech savvy, I just don't want to make any rookie mistakes."

I am in the same situation.

Unfortunately you have to do some digging and reading sometimes man. I learned how to do all this stuff by doing just that. Here's video that will help you with the SBF part. It has all the links you need too.

http://sites.google.com/site/1kdsdroidx/

[video=youtube;c58XaWnr6XE]http://youtu.be/c58XaWnr6XE"]YouTube - How To SBF Droid X1 to full 2.3.340 OS 2.2 Now linked for Droid 2[/video]

jrlecato

Reaction score
Ok I get it right ! But, my factory reset did not take me back to 2.1 or froyo ? So what now? I have rom manager and it doesn't let me reboot and run a system swipe. Permission to access file denied. I would like to know my next option. Please give some ideals. Thanks

leonozug

Reaction score
Ok I get it right ! But, my factory reset did not take me back to 2.1 or froyo ? So what now? I have rom manager and it doesn't let me reboot and run a system swipe. Permission to access file denied. I would like to know my next option. Please give some ideals. Thanks

Did you SBF THEN do the factory reset? If you did it would be on 2.2.1 Froyo. A factory reset is not enough to get off of 2.3.3 Gingerbread.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

leonozug

Reaction score
What is sbf? This is my mistake!!

Basically, if you want to root the DX you need to learn how to SBF it in case you screw it up rooting/romming it or need to bring it back to Verizon stock again. I'll send you links on how to do it in a PM.