HTC Officially Launches their New Flagship the HTC One

MacLeod

Reaction score
I get all the talk about the battery. I also wish they would have sacrificed a bit of thinness and weight for a bigger battery; maybe 2600mah like the RAZR HD. That said, I hate to harp on that supposed flaw because HTC has done so many things right with this phone. The combination of size, build materials, screen, speakers, camera, and specs make this the best smartphone ever created. Even the 2300mah battery is no slouch; it trumps every non-phablet except the Moto HDs. Believe me, this former TBolt owner is no HTC fan, but if I were not under contract, I am trashing my S3 and picking this up. HTC just needs to step up their marketing game to make this a winner.

I can agree with that. It still is a outstanding phone but the non removable battery and no SD support are simply deal breakers for me. Aside from that I agree that this is a damn nice phone with the best screen on the market.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can agree with that. It still is a outstanding phone but the non removable battery and no SD support are simply deal breakers for me. Aside from that I agree that this is a damn nice phone with the best screen on the market.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.

For another month, when the S4 is announced.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums

WestOkid

Reaction score
For another month, when the S4 is announced.

I looked at my S3 and thought. If we are honest with ourselves, we all know the S4 will not hold a candle to this phone's build quality. As usual, Samsung will use the cheapest available cell phone material of any flagship device. We are about 75% sure it will have a pentile display. Then it will have gimmicks in touchwiz that none of us use. Aka S-voice and everything else. HTC's biggest miss with this phone is not being Samsung or Apple. Sent from my GalaxyS3.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
I looked at my S3 and thought. If we are honest with ourselves, we all know the S4 will not hold a candle to this phone's build quality. As usual, Samsung will use the cheapest available cell phone material of any flagship device. We are about 75% sure it will have a pentile display. Then it will have gimmicks in touchwiz that none of us use. Aka S-voice and everything else. HTC's biggest miss with this phone is not being Samsung or Apple. Sent from my GalaxyS3.

I'll never understand the build quality arguments when most people use cases on their super durable phones.. build quality is fixable with a $5 case... you can't fix missing SD slots.. smaller non removable batteries and the phone not even being on your network... samsung is addressing screen build quality with their new screens and actual s4 specs remain to be seen but there's no doubt it will be phenomenal

summit21

Reaction score
Thats funny....cuz my RAZR screen was better than my Rezounds....overall. Notice I said ...my...Rezound....which means I had or still have it. I do still have it. I dont mean a store fly by comparison, I mean an in depth, apples to apples comparison. Too many cons for the Rezound screen vs my RAZR.....hideous screen res, putrid screen n all. After the cons....when it came to preferences....I liked the RAZR screen more. The screens on the Bionic and RAZR's were waaaay overblown IMO. I still see a Bionic from time to time to this day...and I still dont see what all the complaining was about. I also had a G Nex, have a Maxx HD now.

That said....LCD and Amoled screens have gotten better since then...so the screens are almost a wash now.

The battery complaints... these chips do get more efficient with newer versions. Anyone with a DNA should be able to say if its an issue or not. I believe for the most part it isnt. We wont know until battery life tests come out, user posts come out. The One has a bigger battery than the DNA.. But...the One has a chip thats clocked a lil faster too.. Its clocked a lil faster...but should be more efficient since its newer. So we will just have to wait n see about battery life.

My point was not to compare the Rezound vs Razr Maxx HD, which by the way both have 720p displays, but the Rezound has a better resolution at 340 PPI vs. 312 for the Maxx HD. The HTC One will have an eye popping 468PPI, 1080P display, hands down the best display available when it is released, the DNA being next at 440PPI, the Razr Maxx HD is nowhere close to these two.

summit21

Reaction score
Found 2 sites that say the S4 will have a 5inch display at 440PPI, NOT better than the HTC One 468PPI, although probably indescernible to the naked eye. Obviously this is still speculative though. I will say that the S3 colors were cartoonish, while HTC DNA seems more "real"

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'll never understand the build quality arguments when most people use cases on their super durable phones.. build quality is fixable with a $5 case... you can't fix missing SD slots.. smaller non removable batteries and the phone not even being on your network... samsung is addressing screen build quality with their new screens and actual s4 specs remain to be seen but there's no doubt it will be phenomenal

I second that, plus Samsung went away from penile, Note 2 was the start.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
My point was not to compare the Rezound vs Razr Maxx HD, which by the way both have 720p displays, but the Rezound has a better resolution at 340 PPI vs. 312 for the Maxx HD. The HTC One will have an eye popping 468PPI, 1080P display, hands down the best display available when it is released, the DNA being next at 440PPI, the Razr Maxx HD is nowhere close to these two.

Sorry but LCD is old news.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the carriers have anything to do with this trend of not having SD cards. The carriers want you to use cloud storage now that they got rid of unlimited data. Us streaming all of our content, with tiered plans, puts millions in their pockets.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the carriers have anything to do with this trend of not having SD cards. The carriers want you to use cloud storage now that they got rid of unlimited data. Us streaming all of our content, with tiered plans, puts millions in their pockets.

there's no way they think people are that stupid to keep going over their data.. after the first overage they'll upload via cable or wifi... im sticking to retail and unlimited .. and while there is still phones w SD slots I'll be buying those

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
there's no way they think people are that stupid to keep going over their data.. after the first overage they'll upload via cable or wifi... im sticking to retail and unlimited .. and while there is still phones w SD slots I'll be buying those

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

But it could prompt a lot of people to increase their data tier.

Let's say that pushing cloud storage over local storage causes just 10,000 users to increase their data plan by a measly $10.

That's $1.2 million per year, plus taxes. And 10,000 users is a drop in the bucket as a portion of their customer base, and that is also assuming that the tier increase is only $10 for each. It could be more people over time, and more than 1 bump in their tier.

Food for thought. I mean, who benefits the most from having such little storage on such a flagship device(s), that have large screens that encourage video and stuff?

The person that holds the pipeline to supply that content. HTC doesn't benefit from not having an SD slot. Sure, maybe it saves them $1 per phone, but that isn't enough of a reason to cripple the phone and possibly hurt sales, unless they were making money from the carrier, who will benefit from not having an SD slot because of exorbitant data rates.

summit21

Reaction score
Sorry but LCD is old news.

I'll take LCD with this: "The HTC One sports a 4.7-inch 1080p HD display with a pixel density of 468 pixels per inch, which makes it one of the sharpest-looking smartphone screens in existence.

WestOkid

Reaction score

I realize build quality may not matter to some, but to say you don't understand the build quality argument is a reach. Every company spends millions of dollars designing a phones form factor. They follow that up by spending some more on drop tests, and scratch resistance, button feel, etc. We all are the edge our seats waiting to see the final design. Every review judges the phone on how it looks, feels, and functions in hand. When we go to Verizon to test a new phone, we do the same. We talk about Gorilla glass and oleophobic coatings. How could covering the resulting aesthetics, altering the ergonomics, and comprising the function with cases and screen protectors be a fix? It's not. It's a compromise we are forced to make.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
LMAO....the phones still all look pretty much the same to me. The way people parse the dimensions of a rectangle and nitpick at bezels is only rivaled by art snobs.