Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
htc.png

In a quick statement just published on HTC’s Facebook page, HTC CEO Peter Chou said:

htcstatement.png

For anyone out there that roots their devices to customize them, this is probably the best news you can get.

HTC Facebook

OP
wicked

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Now if the other major manufacturers would follow suite... :(

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
oh man

now i have until tommorow to decide whether to keep the G2x or go with the sensation was an easy choice before. your just mean :)

sslbaron

Reaction score
I have been sticking with Motorola phones because I didn't like the Eris, but now I am really considering jumping ship to HTC. Motorola take notice, or you're going to lose a lot of customers to HTC. Just my 2 cents! ;)

drew

Reaction score
I hope they make it retroactive, so that the Thunderbolt would get unlocked via OTA update.

wesdo2gg

Reaction score
This is a great move for HTC. I wonder how this is going to affect the devices already out like the thunderbolts etc. Hopefully they just put the keys in one of the next few OTA's. I'm going to have a long relationship with HTC.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yes good to hear...I am curious how the carriers plan on handling that..... oh well for right now I say cheers to HTC. That should put some pressure on moto.

barski

Reaction score
I'm done with Motorola, unless they unlock bootloader. Next device is going to be from HTC otherwise. This may be the best news to the dev community in a long time.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Like mentioned, this is great news from HTC. Just remember, we have to see what happens with the carriers. Hard to say if they're just going to capitulate on this. Going to be interesting, for sure. If this is completely successful and HTC comes out with no bootloaders and the dual cores dropping, they can snag a huge share of the market.