I would like to try a custom ROM, but I am new to this. What would you recommend?

InvisibleMan125

Reaction score
Which ROM would you recommend? Will all of my apps be saved? How can I backup the ROM I have now so that I may switch back if I want to?

maverikh

Reaction score
First things first...

Im making the assumption you have a thunderbolt since you posted in the thunderbolt forum.
Have you rooted your phone?
if not go here :::http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/0...htc-thunderbolt-and-unlock-its-bootloader/:::
There are many many places that will teach you how to root.

once you have rooted the easiest thing to to is use rom manager. It will do rom backups and such. You can find many roms to download and use right through the rom manager app.
99.9999999999% of android phone users have a use rom manager. It's a MUST have basic application once you have rooted your phone.

from here go back one forum and click the thunderbolt help forum for continued support.

As far as which rom to use... its a personal preference. Anyhting with "Bamf" in the name will likely make you happy. If you want the android os as intended by google then Liquid Thunderbolt is a good one....

If you see "AOSP" in the rom name or description then that means it will be based on the ACTUAL google version of android.

Last edited:

zwegan

Reaction score
Bamf Forever 1.06 is what I am currently using.

It is a HTC Sense 3.0 ROM.

I believe Liquid is more of a stock android experience if you don't like sense.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I'm using bamf forever version 1.0.5, because not enough changes have occurred between it and version 1.0.6.

Sent by my Bolt powered by Thunder

Razzia17

Reaction score
They have 1.0.7 up now which has the new base version. I'm downloading it now

Sent from my Thunderbolt using DroidForums

OP
I

InvisibleMan125

Reaction score
So a lot of you recommend BAMF Forever. But was makes it better than other ROMs?

OP
I

InvisibleMan125

Reaction score
Is there a guide for installing custom ROMs? My phone is already rooted and I have downloaded ROM Manager and I have backed up my current ROM. I don't know how to install BAMF Forever though.

Reaction score
SHIFTS3NS3 1.5 NO BUGS. NO LAG. Has Sense 3.0 and is gingerbread-based. And i came from bamf forever 1.06

Sent from my SHIFTS3NS3 using DroidForums

elliott1969

Reaction score
Bamf forever 1.7

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Last edited:

afrchutch

Reaction score
Cyanogenmod 7.1 is amazing. It's basically a clean version of gingerbread 2.3.5 without sense. Its friendly to the eyes, reliable, easy to use, and makes the tbolt run very fast. I haven't tried bamf simply because I hate HTC sense and want nothing like it on my phone

MrKleen

Reaction score
I have to agree with the many who recommend Bamf roms. Take your pick as to which one based on what you like. But definitely Bamf all the way!

I also like Cyanogenmod and would probably go with it but there are little things here and there that are not perfect yet.

afrchutch

Reaction score
I have to agree with the many who recommend Bamf roms. Take your pick as to which one based on what you like. But definitely Bamf all the way!

I also like Cyanogenmod and would probably go with it but there are little things here and there that are not perfect yet.

I've also heard nothing but good things about BAMF. I might give it a try once cyanogenmod gets old. Bit so far I love it.