ICS Lockscreen App shortcuts.. can you change them?

Lars

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
bsweetness said:
Have you tried disabling the stock text messaging app? Other users have reported that doing this has added Handcent to their lockscreen because it forces the system to recognize it as the default texting app.

That did it! I have both Camera360 and Handcent on my lockscreen. Thanks for the suggestion.

amusedone

Reaction score
I just got ICS today. I have handcent as my default messaging app, has been forever now but its not on my lockscreen, the stock messaging app is. Changed Handcent from my default messenger, then changed it back, and rebooted. The stock messaging app is still there. (The boyfriend has a menu to choose the apps-different device but still ICS -wonder why they left that out on RAZR.)

Any suggestions on changing it (without having to buy an app)?

Thanks!
Brittany

OP
A

AndroidKachi7

Reaction score
I just got ICS today. I have handcent as my default messaging app, has been forever now but its not on my lockscreen, the stock messaging app is. Changed Handcent from my default messenger, then changed it back, and rebooted. The stock messaging app is still there. (The boyfriend has a menu to choose the apps-different device but still ICS -wonder why they left that out on RAZR.)

Thanks!
Brittany

Go into Apps, move over to All and find Text Messaging and disable it. Whatever messaging app you are using will become default.

qwerty5555

Reaction score
That is because Google Voice isn't a true 'messaging' app. It is a application all on its own that supports not just texting, but voicemail collection as well. If you install a messaging app, such as Go SMS, Handscent, or any other, then it will show on your lockscreen.

Hope this helps!

nkruckel

Reaction score
I just figured it out for my Droid Razr.

1. Click on Handcent SMS
2. Go to Settings
3. Click on Application Settings
4. Click Default Messaging Application
5. Select All(SMS & MMS)- That will make Handcent the "default texter"
NEXT
1. Go to the "home page" on your phone
2. Go to your applications
3. Scroll through until you find the original Droid texting app
4. Touch and hold down on the app until it comes to your home page and drag it up to the top where it says "More Options"
5. Select App Info
6. On the page that it brings up click Disable. There will be a warning message, but just click ok. Then Handcent should now be the shortcut on your lock screen!

WORKED FOR ME!
HOPE THIS HELPS!!:)

nkruckel

Reaction score

Thanks!
Brittany

Check out my step-by-step post about how to change it! Just posted it! Hope it helps:)

awriternot

Reaction score
Will it let you change to any icon though? Like one in your library?

Unrooted Droid Razr Maxx

amusedone

Reaction score
I don't think we can change to any app in our libraries. On my boyfriends phone (not a RAZR, but on ICS)it gives him the option but I can't seem to find a similar one on my RAZR.

droidrazr13

Reaction score
Chomp SMS

does anyone know how to change the text messaging shortcut to chompSMS without disabling text messaging. When I disabled text messaging it worked but then I would stop receiving text messages

Stevet86

Reaction score
I figured this one out. I have been using Camera ICS+ because I think it's a better camera than the stock Motorola one. But I couldn't get it to come up on the lock screen.

The reason was I had never set the camera to be the default one because I never needed to launch the camera other than through the home screen. What I did was to launch the camera from an icon in my gallery app (Gallery ICS for those who are interested) and it gave me the option to launch the stock camera or Camera ICS+. I chose Camera ICS+ and now it shows up as the camera on my lock screen. Hope this helps someone else.

Good info! Been looking to do this since I installed another camera app. Thanks

wyrenegade

Reaction score
Worked for me mooch91, thanks!!

I figured this one out. I have been using Camera ICS+ because I think it's a better camera than the stock Motorola one. But I couldn't get it to come up on the lock screen.

The reason was I had never set the camera to be the default one because I never needed to launch the camera other than through the home screen. What I did was to launch the camera from an icon in my gallery app (Gallery ICS for those who are interested) and it gave me the option to launch the stock camera or Camera ICS+. I chose Camera ICS+ and now it shows up as the camera on my lock screen. Hope this helps someone else.

captkkk

Reaction score
The most effective way to change ever, no apk, no hack, no change of system files required, thanks!!!

jwfuller78

Reaction score
Changing lock-screen defaults

I just used the ICS packaged gallery program to change the default camera program, and it changed it on the homescreen. I think any default you set for the four functions on the homescreen will automatically update the program that particular function selects. Pretty smart.

Pretty necessary too because the ICS camera program is very bad. I don't really get that.

TechLife

Reaction score
I am trying to replace the stock SMS app with Go SMS on 4.1.1. I tried the steps listed above but I am clearly missing something. I have seen in this and several other threads the suggestion to just "disable" the stock messaging app. When i try to do this, I can't because the "disable" option is grayed out. I have already choosing a contact, sending them a text and, when prompted, selecting "Go SMS" and "always". Any suggestions? I'd love to get this working. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: This works fine on the the wife's Droid 4 on ICS so it's clearly a Jelly Bean issue.

Last edited: