is Google aware of the maps 4.2 issues?

hashsi99

Reaction score
Pinch and zoom works, but my location is off at least 50% of the time. I have to keep closing out and going back in to get a closer location.

Had no problem with this before the update. Anybody else having similar problems?

Google please fix.

Vitticeps

Reaction score
Mine's about as accurate as any GPS I've used, not perfect but within 5-15 feet or so on average.

Any chance you're in an area with poor GPS reception? Downtown highrises, heavily wooded canopies, etc?

Gkope

Reaction score
No problems here. Still very accurate like always.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I use GPS every day with no issues after the update. Power off/on has always solved my location issues. Others have said moving the phone in a figure 8 motion helps.

OP
H

hashsi99

Reaction score
I use GPS every day with no issues after the update. Power off/on has always solved my location issues. Others have said moving the phone in a figure 8 motion helps.

I've powered on and off and it seems to help, as does the moving the phone around. The problem isn't all the time, just some of the time. I'm in open areas, where it was dead on before the update. Maybe it'll work itself out....i hope.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
It may be the maps themselves. Google now relies on public maps (e.g. census bureau maps) so there are a lot of places (least in TN, VA, and NC) where the maps themselves are just crap and/or not calibrated well with the GPS. I've routinely compared it w/Tom Tom and while the GPS coordinates are exactly the same the Google Map will show me 1/2+ mile away from where the TomTom map says....

gsDroid

Reaction score
I have had no problems with getting satellite locks and my location is spot on, as is navigation. I do have the problem of pinch/zoom being really wacky. Fortunately, I don't need it so much and the zoom buttons work ok.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
No problems here. Don't assume that the inability of your GPS receiver to obtain a fix is necessarily due to Google Maps.

Have you tried downloading GPS Status to see if your receiver can obtain a fix using another app?

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
same here as everyone else i use GPS almost daily and its extremely accurate.

its just as accurate then the built in GPS in my Audi.

snappingfish

Reaction score
me too

Pinch and zoom works, but my location is off at least 50% of the time. I have to keep closing out and going back in to get a closer location.

Had no problem with this before the update. Anybody else having similar problems?

Google please fix.

They miss my location by about 5 miles, after the update. I emailed maps and got an auto-blab. Hoping they get it fixed!

oatmealboy

Reaction score
The issues I have seen since updating to maps 4.2 are only with Google Maps Navigation. It takes much longer than usual to get a lock on my location. I live in a city where there are hardly any tall buildings around, and it's been sunny and clear. I tried to use Navigation to get to a friend's house just yesterday, and the app never got a lock on my location. I ended up getting to my destination without Navigation ever locking onto my location.

I have the GPS Status app, and according to this app, my phone has no trouble picking up satellites.

grapeape3311

Reaction score
Mine was off by a good amount after the update. I did a reboot and it's been working great ever since.

snappingfish

Reaction score
used to be - - -

Mine was off by a good amount after the update. I did a reboot and it's been working great ever since.

Seems like my Maps app used to hit my home right-on, WITHOUT GPS being on, but since the last upgrade, it has missed my home by at least 5-6 miles!

If I turn on GPS, it still spots me right here but with GPS off, its lost!

Vitticeps

Reaction score

Seems like my Maps app used to hit my home right-on, WITHOUT GPS being on, but since the last upgrade, it has missed my home by at least 5-6 miles!

If I turn on GPS, it still spots me right here but with GPS off, its lost!

Do you have WiFi on? Try turning it off and see if it's still off by that much. I believe maps tries to use WiFi mac addresses for locations as well now but is far from accurate yet.