Is it worth the money

KidmanMakino

Reaction score
I want a new phone but can't justify spending $200 on something that's virtually a toy I text,Facebook,tweet and rarely make calls on. I use my old Eris for gps n the above mentioned. But its slow n glitchy. Wanna get razr or D4 but will it reboot if stuck (since battery unremoveable) and/or are there any other technical drawbacks. I have the money just don't wanna be stuck with some lemon phone.
Streaming cloud thing sounds awesome but feeds into my paranoia about leaving my pc that open.
Just need to hear all the pro's and con's.

Sent from my Eris using DroidForums

greenmile

Reaction score
Loving the D4 so far. Don't worry about the non-removal battery, just like the Razor you just hold the power button and the down-volume rocker button for 10 seconds and the phone resets (this is a hardware feature so even a locked OS won't freeze this function).

OP
K

KidmanMakino

Reaction score
Thanks,that was the only deal breaker. The price is still a lot for something I just use to waste time. Eris was slow,not just internet stuff just processing speed; it was very frustrating. Sales guy "said" 4G would be in my area soon but I don't exactly trust him. Just kinda wanna know how long the battery lasts in a regular razr. The fact I'd need to carry a spare battery charging device seems ridiculous.
I don't surf YouTube or do online games on the phone;just check news,weather,Facebook & Twitter. Is the 4G just for fast internet? Because sales rep said keeping it on will drain the battery.
I'm not tryin to troll,whine or try to justify a purchase. I'd just like to know all the positives and negatives of each new Droid. Is there a site with an honest run down of them all?

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
My suggestion based upon your wanting a 'all day' lasting phone for 4g would be to get the Razr Maxx. It is the real deal with battery length. I have had mine for a week now and have not been able to kill it in a day of use. Closest I have come was 20% after a 16 hour day all on 3G, using my BT head set for 4 hours while at the same time using the GPS on the phone. 90 minutes of phone calls, a couple dozen pictures of which half were posted to Facebook, multiple word and excel file updating through DropBox, and constant email updating and posting through out the day.

OP
K

KidmanMakino

Reaction score
*jaw drop*
Ya maxx is good but I guess I'm just bein cheap. Eris's battery lasts a decent amount. I know its an ancient phone that I got free so was pretty content.
Besides razr's what else would be decent. D4's screen is kinda cumbersome,especially when sliding up to pull out the qwerty pad

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
No offense, but why complain about the price of the phone? I mean they have always been $199. You're lucky the Razr price dropped. Wasn't the Eris also $199 when it was released?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
K

KidmanMakino

Reaction score
Ya but I said I got it free,from a rebate. But the razr is $200 which seems like a lot in general considering you could a ps3 for that much and maxx is $300 so an extra hundo for a bigger battery. Guess I'm just being cheap but it seems like a lot for something to screw around with on social networks. Still its useful as gps and a number of other things so I don't wanna go back to flip phones but among the cheaper alternatives what's a good choice?
Tried iPhone4S,not to be trendy but just so I have a phone that I know will work but it didn't impress me too much. So is the razr battery crappy enough to spend an extra $100 for the maxx?

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Well I hear the Razr Maxx battery is twice as long so you would most likely get about 11 hours on the Razr.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

pgreeny

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity have you tried your local Best Buy to see if they will do any price matching of Amazon. Some do some don't. Razr Maxx was $199 on Amazon, not sure if it still is. Just a thought. I got my D4 at BB for $99 on Amazon price matchon a new line . $149 for upgrade. Good luck.
Btw only problem with maxx is BB only has them online.
Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

OP
K

KidmanMakino

Reaction score
I wasn't aware best buy,or anyone else,did price matching on Amazon. I'll try them out,seems like maxx is the way to go since I'm not a fan of the flip out keyboard. Can these line of razrs work as well in non 4G area as vz salesman said it would be soon but was most likely blowing smoke.

pgreeny

Reaction score
Razr's and d4 all perform well. Even on 3G. As far as I know they all have about the same internals, D4 just has a pentile screen compared to amoled. The Maxx is hard to get at the moment from what I've been reading they are sold out everywhere. I use the keyboard alot so the screen was a trade off for me. Its not as bad as some say. I think you can pick anything apart. I paid $99 and had a $10 reward zone coupon so I spent $89 bought the car dock and pretty happy with my purchase. Your right though $2 -$300 is alot to spend on a phone IMO but if you got it ...

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

Last edited:

Kack

Reaction score
the difference is the screen. the Razr's have a great screen and the D4 is just meh. but the trade off for me is i missed the kb. i had the Thunderbolt since day 1 and loved it except for the lack of phys kb. so i picked up the 1st droid 4g slider yesterday for 100$ at vzw <had a 50$ gc> and i am happy with it. got a whole 18 hours off one battery with heavy use. cant wait to get to root and rom it.

r314bd

Reaction score
I got the D4 a few days ago (upgrade from the D1) and it's not worth $200+tax. I was able to get it for $100+tax (Best Buy matched Amazon's $149.99 price and had a $50 gift card upgrade promotion) but if I had to pay ~$230 I wouldn't have bought it.

Last edited:

NiteCloak

Reaction score
Eris to Droid4

I too was an early smart phone adopter and had the HTC Eris (for over 2.5 years) I truly loved this little phone. Slow to be sure compared to product offerings in the last 12 months but it has been a feature-rich, reliable little workhorse. My wife and son also had the HTC Eris on our family plan so when their own renewals came up and they went with the iPhone4S I got to keep their old Eris's and have had a blast over the last 3 months toying (or is that tooling?) around with three Eris's, jailbreaking all three, removing bloatware apps and using them for all kinds of crazy fun. My wife's became a wi-fi games and music player for my 6year old daughter, my son's became a wireless CCTV camera for the house and my own, well, my own felt like it had a new lease of life for 2 months before I finally upgraded to the Droid4 on Friday.

Price: If you are with a provider and on a 2 year plan, you are going to be looking at anything from $149.99 to $199.99 for the Droid4, Razr or Razr Maxx but let's be fair here, if you had to purchase the phone hardware without a contract, you are looking at anywhere from $540 to $680 so they are a great price for the technology you are getting.

For me, I waited and waited, passing up on my upgrade eligibility, because I knew I wanted a 4G enabled device with a slide out keyboard. The Droid4 was the only choice for me. I have a large and successful Verizon store close to where I live and I have spoken to 5 of their staff who ALL went with the Razr Maxx (because of the extended battery life) and they all had nothing but praise for it. For myself, I love my Droid 4 and have been tinkering with it like a kid on christmas morning.

Friend, if you are ready to upgrade, make the change, you won't be disappointed.

OP
K

KidmanMakino

Reaction score
Wow how profound and I'm not being sarcastic. I've been reluctant to play at rooting my Eris for fear of bricking my little reliable albeit slow phone. For all its flaws it still works well. Not a fan of a real keyboard but maxx sounds good I guess I'm just being cheap.
How does that "cloudish" razr thing work;same concept as dropbox?
Glad to hear the hard reset works,that key to unlock the back of D4 seems odd. I think bottom line is I just wanted to see if either phone was worth the financial investment or if there would be some price drop or rebate discount in the future since I lucked upon the Eris as a freebie. I've moved to a small town where Sprint gets great coverage yet for some reason Verizon is very slow. Glad to hear these phones have no substantial drawbacks so I guess I'll hafta bite the bullet and go for it. Thanks again.