Is screen protector needed for Nexus?

mmead1143

Reaction score
How tough is the screen? It's not Gorilla glass but that's just a trade name. Do you need a screen protector or no? thanks.

hydro556

Reaction score
I am not sure what kind of screen this is on the Nexus, but it has that same "laminated" look when you view it (off) from an angle as Gorilla glass has.

I have noticed on phones with Gorilla glass that it has that sheen, or whatever the term is.

At any rate, I have a Skinomi Skin for it but have not applied it yet. And I am waiting on a Seidio case. I feel the need to protect this phone because I definitely like it and want to keep it in good shape mfor two years.

Lenagainster

Reaction score
If the screen protector in no way detracts from the look of the screen, or the touch response of the screen, then why not use one? If through some unforeseen circumstance, the screen does get scratched, (keys or a tool in the wrong pocket, sliding across the gravel) you'll wish you had spent the $$ for a screen protector. If you try to sell the phone at some later time, and claim you have always used a screen protector, it will likely fetch a higher price. I've always used them, and one or two generally last the lifetime (2 years) of the phone.

dwg3333

Reaction score
It certainly feels and sounds the same as Gorilla glass when you tap on it. My DX had GC and it was awesome. I dropped it hundreds of time and never had a scratch. I don't like the feel of screen protectors but i don't like broken glass either.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
M

mmead1143

Reaction score
^^
If you have the insurance, is a scratch or break without a screen protector still covered? Thanks.

hydro556

Reaction score
I just installed my Skinomi Techskin. It is the first "Wet application" screen protector I have ever used.

First off, the installation seemed a bit daunting but actually went very well. I have it installed and lined up perfectly.

It instructs you to wait 12-24 hours before using it, so I am going to try and leave it alone for awhile. I do notice a sort of grainy look to my screen now, but I am going to see if this goes away after the "curing". If it doesnt, I will likely remove it. Other than that it seems like a good protector, but that will be a deal breaker if it doesnt cure out. Will advise.

Manofthehr

Reaction score
I have the skinomi screen protector as well. Installation is simple and the screen has a rubbery feel to it. It doesn't take away from the look of the screen. One thing I did notice though is it's easier to get fingerprints and oil on the screen protector than it was on the naked screen.

Magnious

Reaction score
@hydro556

That grainy look is normal, and does go away after the allotted time that they ask you to wait.

Realistic

Reaction score
I have a mystery scratch in mine already, I have no idea why it happened or where it happened. I leave my phone in a pocket by itself when I carry it around it sucks. I really felt it it was going to ruin the whole phone for me.

I went and got the standard screen protectors from verizon (not the anti-glare ones) and I'm hoping these will stop a another one from forming. These ones aren't as bad I as feared.

My point is it's definitely not as tough as the glass in phones with corning gorilla glass

hydro556

Reaction score
I have a mystery scratch in mine already, I have no idea why it happened or where it happened. I leave my phone in a pocket by itself when I carry it around it sucks. I really felt it it was going to ruin the whole phone for me.

I went and got the standard screen protectors from verizon (not the anti-glare ones) and I'm hoping these will stop a another one from forming. These ones aren't as bad I as feared.

My point is it's definitely not as tough as the glass in phones with corning gorilla glass

At least in your case.

I would be hesitant to deem all the GNex devices screens' as inferior based on one scratch on one device, the origin of which you said yourself is unknown.

Others have reported excellent scratch resistance in tests. Time will tell.

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I scratched up my OG Driod, and I have a scratch on my nexus after 1 week. I bought an otter box defender, and will continue to use it. The only downside in responsiveness I see is while trying to drop down the notification bar, but I can live with that.

WookieClaws

Reaction score
When I was in the VZW store getting my GNex the demo phone had a pretty good sized scratch on it. I bought the 3 pack of the non anti glare screen protectors and so far have been happy with it. It glides well under my fingers and doesn't feel rubbery. You can barely tell its on there once I put the case on.

Its not gorilla glass so I wouldn't go without a screen protector...IMO

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I'm really on the fence about what to do. I've had three phones over the past two years without screen protectors and never had one scratch. If I got some mystery scratch I would blow my top and then fixate on the stupid scratch forever!

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
I have the anti-glare ones from Verizon. Scratches (as small as they are) bug the crap out of me. $15 now for 3 is nothing compared to the amounts of anger I'll go through if I find a scratch later on :p

Magnious

Reaction score
I put a screen protector on my phone no matter what. Even with Gorilla Glass, you never know when you might toss your phone into your pocket with your keys...or drop it in a aquard position. I've seen them skid across floors (Glass Face Down), and other things. Screen protectors don't bother me..as long as all the bubbles are out. (Which I've become VERY good at accomplishing).