Is this normal? Verizon refuses to replace my defective 2 week old HTC Droid Eris

luluvin77

Reaction score
I purchased the Eris 2 weeks ago, got the OTA update a few days later, and have been experiencing frequent freezes multiple times/day. It happens when I try to hang up from a call, when trying to just unlock the screen, or in between random screens and/or programs.
I have not downloaded many apps, and the ones that I do have all are 4.5 or 5 stars, and do not have any comments in Market about causing crashes or freezes.

Brought the phone into Verizon Wireless in Princeton, NJ and was told by the manager that since they couldn't force it to freeze while troubleshooting it for 15 mins, I would have to either leave the phone there for a few days as they played around with it to experience a freeze, or I could wait there for however long it would take for it to freeze to prove it to them...is this normal?? Or, I could pay the $35 restocking fee and get a new one, even though I am only 2 weeks into my 30 day worry free period...

Has anyone experienced this issue? Am I out of options here?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Call 611....

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Hey there,

if freezes happen randomly, they HAVE to replace the device, because you cant rely on the phone, but payed a lot of mony for it.

Just make that clear, be strict but polite, and if he still refuses choose another shop or ask for that guys boss.

That shall help!

Echo3

Reaction score
No, that's not normal. Call the 611 and have the CSR help you out. I find they are more helpful and willing than the people at the Verizon store. When I had my defective BB Pearl, the people at verizon wouldn't swap it out so I called 611 and the CSR documented under my account about my issue and went back to the store. They saw the notes and brought out a brand new one without an hassle afterwards.

May want to try that.

crspang

Reaction score
Yep dealing with VZW via the telephone is the best way to get issues resolved. At least that's been my experience. Good luck!

vzwmandroid

Reaction score
I had the same problem, I called *611 they took down the stores info and in a matter minutes of after hanging up with cs the vzw store that I had bought my Droid from called me back apologizing and saying that they had a brand new Droid waiting for me

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Call 611....

Not only call 611 i would ask immediately for a supervisor and explain to them the situation. There is no need for you to be in the place you are. The problem should have been dealt with swiftly.

Though i can attest to some degree that certain apps that run automatically CAN cause freezing. Because of multitasking, when you start the phone up, it will start alot of the apps that you may have downloaded to run. While this is what most of us want, this can also be a downfall of apps that no longer work with updated firmware. I know that the moto droid can be put into safe mode, if you can do this and not use any apps other then the standard apps that come on your phone, and if it still freezes up like it normally does, then you have proven 100% that it is the phone. I just feel that if it's not the phone and it is a program that is not updated yet, and you get a new phone, and you download that app again, then it could case the same exact problem you were just switching it out for.

The only other thing i could suggest, since you would be getting a new phone anyways, is to do a hard reset of the phone. Don't put any apps back on the phone for a day or two and see if it still freezes. If it doesn't then there was something wrong with your update, or something wrong with an app on the phone. Remember though a hard reset will remove all data from the phone so if you have any pics or stuff on the phone you want to save, remove it prior to doing it. Instructions for eris hard reset below.

Perform a hard reset on your HTC Droid Eris. These steps will clear all data and settings off the device.

1. With the phone turned off, press and hold the Volume Down and Send buttons.
2. Press the Power button.
3. Follow the instructions to complete the hard reset.

BrokeStat

Reaction score
i had to go back to verizon 4 times because of their "i cant duplicate it policy" they kept thinking and kept saying oh we have never heard of this problem before.. finally got my phone replaced the 5th time.. good info to call 611 ill keep that in mind.

Retribution

Reaction score
The we can't replicate thing must be Verizon authorized resellers. I only deal with Verizon corporate stores and never have a problem

xliderider

Reaction score
People have posted the "can't replicate" excuse before. You are within your 30 day period so you have more leverage. You can tell them that you will just return the POS phone, and as long as you don't purchase another phone within 3 days, they can't charge you a restocking fee.

That will make them think twice about giving you a new phone. Lose the sale, or exchange the phone for a new one and keep the sale. ;)

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
People have posted the "can't replicate" excuse before. You are within your 30 day period so you have more leverage. You can tell them that you will just return the POS phone, and as long as you don't purchase another phone within 3 days, they can't charge you a restocking fee.

That will make them think twice about giving you a new phone. Lose the sale, or exchange the phone for a new one and keep the sale. ;)

Very Good Point....

frankieg22x

Reaction score
611 has always been the easiest meathod for me. I had my voyager replaced about 4 times because it would shut off by itself. I got tired of running around from store to store and waiting for the phone to be set up, which is something that I could have done myself. i called 611 on the last time, after being told by them that I would need to go to an actual store, and complained about the problem again. They shipped me out an env touch with no problems. I won't be going to the vz store unless i need to for now on...

srothkin

Reaction score
FWIW, the 2.0.1 update is causing freezes in certain situations for some people (including me) that didn't happen under 2.0. If your problem is due to the 2.0.1 update, replacing the phone probably won't fix it.