It's almost September 8th..Happy Birthday Bionic

jayrod

Reaction score
[video=youtube;iJaowSisMGs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJaowSisMGs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJaowSisMGs[/video]

Some of you might remember this teaser posted prior to it's launch. I had been up for a new phone and wasn't exactly sure what I wanted.I knew I wanted a smartphone, it was going to be my first one so I did a little research. I knew I didn't want a touch screen keyboard,and I wanted to be able to search the web a lot easier than what my Envy3 allowed. I knew absolutely nothing about the Android platform except it being owned by Google and was a derivative of Linux...an OS that I never could wrap my head around (even Suse and Ubuntu were difficult for me to understand)...but I knew that I didn't want an Apple product. Never really understood the hype.

I walked into my local VZW on September 23,2011 determined to get a Droid phone with a physical keyboard. I held each one over and over..bypassing the Bionic numerous times. I looked at prices,features and how the phones felt in my hand. It came down to a Droid3.....but then I stopped and cleared my thinking and walked over to the Bionic. I stood there knowing this was the phone that was the one being advertised as "The best" VZW had but it was pricey and I'm not one to jump at what was touted to be "The Best" of anything..it just came out, how does anyone actually know for sure?All of my previous phones were basically the free or .99 promotion (I'm a 36 year old with 2 kids and an EX..not trying to impress with the newest gadgets every week!) I decided to treat myself to something better. I had the Droid 3 in my hand..then the sales rep came over. I acted like I knew what I was talking about and that the Droid 3 was what I wanted..but I was curious. I asked just how much better the Bionic was..mainly for myself justifying that I was making the right choice. After holding the Bionic, playing with menus, keyboard etc.,I returned back to the D3. This went on for about 5 minuets then I made my decision. I signed up for a new 2 year contract ,I pulled out my debit card , bought some screen protectors and car kit and my first smartphone. I do not regret my decision on buying the Bionic nor was I mad that the Razor became "The best" only a few months later. With the exception of the data drop issue, I have been able to fully enjoy using it as my .mp3 player in my truck, web browser for FB or whatever, time wasting video game player and of course phone.
I did flash the .232 ICS to see what this phone was meant to be with a real upgraded OS, and in my opinion I don't care if this phone is "too old" for many,and understand why having a locked B/L kinda sucks... it still has punch.

deduct

Reaction score
My experience with the bionic has been close to the same jayrod. I have been very impressed and happy with it all year. And i bought mine sept. 8th, launch day. With the exception of the upcoming razr maxx hd or razr m, i cant imagine using any other phone. After a year of use, my wife is still on my case for being on it so much.

BLeClair12

Reaction score
Pre-ordered mine a few days before launch over the phone before Verizon put them up online. Birthday present to myself (my birthday is actually the 8th). Hard to believe it's a year old already. Though I've gotten the "new phone itch" a few times, nothing has come along that has been compelling enough for me to switch. Still plan on holding onto it a while longer, especially considering I'll have to either give up unlimited or pay retail next around.

TatDroid

Reaction score
Yep, I too am the proud owner of a $300 launch day Bionic. The first few months were a bit of a test, and many people bailed because of the data drops, but I stuck it out, and am glad I did. The phone has been absolutely rock solid for at least 6 months now. Until about 2 weeks ago. Don't know what's going on - I've made no changes to my phone, but the data drops and the unexplained switches to 3G in 4G areas is back. Network problems maybe? (Boston)

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
My wife and I got ours for a penny a piece on 9/26/2011 from the amazon wireless promotion. On 232 now and in love with it more than ever. Daily lapdock and car dock user. Can't imagine what's broken in 232 that needed fixing to 242.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
lol good teaser. i was annoyed verizon came out so quick with a new top phone. but i still love my bionic. and i would of chose it with teh razr out anyways for the removable battery.

rduckwor

Reaction score
lol good teaser. i was annoyed verizon came out so quick with a new top phone. but i still love my bionic. and i would of chose it with teh razr out anyways for the removable battery.

Absolutely dumb move building the first razr without a replaceable battery! Oh, wait . . then it would have been a Bionic!!!

This is a great handset with ICS on board. GB truly sucked compared to what we have now.

Too bad VZW and Moto have mishandled the upgrade life so badly.

RMD

ArcherDragoon

Reaction score
I got my Bionic in December...have enjoyed it. A friend bought the Razor just after...gotta say I am glad I did not get "the best" and "settled" for the Bionic. It was and is a great choice in my opinion.

deduct

Reaction score
It is great now with ics. I tried to talk my wife into getting bionic when her upgrade was available last spring but she said she wanted nicer screen and physical keyboard. So, she settled on samsung stratosphere. Now she regrets not getting bionic. She was playing around on mine the other night and said " your phone is cool." I think i may try to find her one somewhere. Lord knows i am familiar with the bionic now. Would have hers on ics and rooted in no time. Such a great phone it is.

dubsx

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I gotta say, after the ICS leaks breathed new life into the Bionic. If I hadn't been given a RAZR for free and financially needed to sell my Bionic I would still be rocking it. I just keep looking forward to you guys seeing an official release. Not much longer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Milroy

Reaction score
I got my bionic about a month after it was released. I did a ton of research and waited to read the reviews. I was convinced this was what I wanted. One month later I was extremely irritated with the release of the razr. I even tried to trade. I am so glad my local Verizon store refused to let me. My wife ended up getting a razr shortly after and having them side by side every day for 9 months has convinced us both that the bionic is the better phone. Happy birthday bionic i'm so glad I got stuck with the best! :)

lildeus

Reaction score
I really though they would release ics on the bionic's birthday but whatever shrugs

Veganlady

Reaction score
lildeus said:
I really though they would release ics on the bionic's birthday but whatever shrugs

That would have been a nice birthdday present.

mamawm

Reaction score
Happy birthday, bionic! I'm so glad i picked you (or did you pick me?). It's been a fun filled year and I still love you.