It's Sitting in my Play Cart. Get it? (Battery Life Topic)

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
64GB is plenty for me. I can order it today and it'll ship on November 12th. So, the question I have for all of you that have the 6P is; do I get it?

Currently I'm using the Sammy Galaxy Edge +, but the battery life is atrocious. It's my understanding that the Nexus 6P's battery life is twice as good. That's the only reason I'm considering picking one up. For the most part I do like my Edge + and enjoy using it, but the phone stays on a charger 24/7. I've got a Qi charger by the bed and at work. I'd like to have a phone that doesn't need the work charger. My main problem at work is the LTE signal. My Verizon signal is horrible at work and it bounces from 4G to 3G to 1X to no signal all day long.

The only phone that's ever lasted all day for me is the iPhone 6 and then later, the iPhone 6 Plus. The 6 Plus would go all day and still have 50% battery left at night. The 6 would at least last all day and into the night.

My Edge + can go 6 hours and then it better be on for a charger. This is typical for all of my Android phones that I've had since the Razr Maxx. It was the only Android phone that would last a day.

So, those who have the 6P, do I pull the trigger because I'll love the battery life? Or do I stay with the Edge +?

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Ya way too early to tell, I have to wait till Tuesday for a sim for Fi, then I'll get a better idea. But that whole searching for signal thing kills my NoteII as well.

When I'm in town I can go ALL day and then some, get 6+ hours of screen on time without dipping below 30%.

When I'm out riding the back roads, I've seen it lose 30-40% in a few hours because of searching for service.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Battery life is way too subjective to really tell.

However, since you mentioned you have horrible signal quality at your work then I'm guessing when the 6P isn't in doze mode, then you'll be losing battery life almost as fast any of your other phones. I'm also guessing you don't have access to wifi at work, and if you do, why aren't you using it? It would save your battery life.

A bad signal is a battery killer for any phone.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Agree with you guys. With My nexus 6, and even on other phones, I have had days when battery life was crazy good and some days when I needed to give it a boost to finish the day. The doze feature on marshmallow is probably my favorite feature because it has been a battery extender. But their are other issues that come into play such as apps, signal, and usage.

On days where my usage was about the same their would be an app misbehaving that would cause a battery drain (some of the times it was a google app that was the culprit). So the battery life on the brochures are average use and they consider average use as checking social media, a few calls, texts, music, and a few videos. But you are doing right by checking the forums. If for a particular phone if majority of the people are saying the battery life is garbage (cough s6) then more than likely you are going to have poor battery life (and vice verse). Reviews I read about the 6P battery life were good but if you are patient you will get all the info you need from more users weighing in so that you can find out what issues people are having (if any).

OP
scottysize

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Battery life is way too subjective to really tell.

However, since you mentioned you have horrible signal quality at your work then I'm guessing when the 6P isn't in doze mode, then you'll be losing battery life almost as fast any of your other phones. I'm also guessing you don't have access to wifi at work, and if you do, why aren't you using it? It would save your battery life.

A bad signal is a battery killer for any phone.
I do have Wifi at work, but they block everything, so it's worthless. I do turn on the Wifi every now and then just so I can get my text messages.

Pocketnow said they were able to use their 6P as a hotspot for 6+ hours along with other normal usage and still got a day out of it. That's what got me to thinking I might want to try one out. I'm not one of those who think the signal will improve with a new device. I know it won't.

In case you care, more on my battery life: The Edge + battery's been just so-so for me, but yes, I guess I'm considered a heavy user. I watch 2+ hours of NetFlix each day, never turn my hotspot off at home, read some emails, listen to Sirius while walking for an hour a day, leave the screen in auto mode all day instead of 30%, leave the Location in High Accuracy, play a few games, and get a crappy signal for 10 hours at work. I would have thought that the 3000 mAh battery would last a little longer, but not for me. My best SOT is 1 hour and 50 minutes.

The thing that really sucks though, is all of the above I did with my iPhone 6 Plus, and still had 50% left at night when I went to bed. I've always had crappy life with my Android Phones and outstanding life on the iPhones. I'd still have the iPhone, but their hotspot sucks and I can't live with that. Battery life I can live with by having extra chargers.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I do have Wifi at work, but they block everything, so it's worthless. I do turn on the Wifi every now and then just so I can get my text messages.

Pocketnow said they were able to use their 6P as a hotspot for 6+ hours along with other normal usage and still got a day out of it. That's what got me to thinking I might want to try one out. I'm not one of those who think the signal will improve with a new device. I know it won't.

In case you care, more on my battery life: The Edge + battery's been just so-so for me, but yes, I guess I'm considered a heavy user. I watch 2+ hours of NetFlix each day, never turn my hotspot off at home, read some emails, listen to Sirius while walking for an hour a day, leave the screen in auto mode all day instead of 30%, leave the Location in High Accuracy, play a few games, and get a crappy signal for 10 hours at work. I would have thought that the 3000 mAh battery would last a little longer, but not for me. My best SOT is 1 hour and 50 minutes.

The thing that really sucks though, is all of the above I did with my iPhone 6 Plus, and still had 50% left at night when I went to bed. I've always had crappy life with my Android Phones and outstanding life on the iPhones. I'd still have the iPhone, but their hotspot sucks and I can't live with that. Battery life I can live with by having extra chargers.
You my friend need a morphie case when it becomes available for the Edge +.. Most phones won't make it thru your usage... Haha

NexusSix

OP
scottysize

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
You my friend need a morphie case when it becomes available for the Edge +.. Most phones won't make it thru your usage... Haha

NexusSix
You are correct. Most Android phones won't. ;)

OP
scottysize

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Well, an update to this thread. Maybe I should have paid more attention to the specs.

THERE IS NO Qi CHARGING.

Honestly, I can't believe that there isn't Qi charging on this phone. I'll not be purchasing this phone. I live on Qi charging and won't have another Android phone that doesn't support Qi charging. So, no, I'll not be buying a 6P.

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well, an update to this thread. Maybe I should have paid more attention to the specs.

THERE IS NO Qi CHARGING.

Honestly, I can't believe that there isn't Qi charging on this phone. Is it because of the metal? Aren't there metal phones with Qi charging? I'll not be purchasing this phone. I live on Qi charging and won't have another Android phone that doesn't support Qi charging. So, no, I'll not be buying a 6P.
Was likely omitted to keep costs down. At least that's what I've heard

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
For me, wireless charging isn't a deal breaker yet. I can definitely live without it.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

OP
scottysize

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
I cannot. Personally, now that I have a Qi charging device, it's really hard to go back to plugging it in. (I know it's not a metal issue, because my Edge + is metal. I just had a moment of stupidity.)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I cannot. Personally, now that I have a Qi charging device, it's really hard to go back to plugging it in. (I know it's not a metal issue, because my Edge + is metal. I just had a moment of stupidity.)
Sorry for your loss.

Also, the back of the S6 Edge+ is made of glass. I'm not aware of any metal phone that supports wireless charging. I read an article somewhere that the tech exists, but hasn't been approved yet for use in consumer devices.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My G2 charges wirelessly as well and I still don't have the urge to buy a wireless charger. I have one in my truck from when I'm playing music and that's nice, but anywhere else I like to hold and use my phone while it's charging. So I'd rather plug it in.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk