Longer car charger

alm0614

Reaction score
Anyone have a solution.. i want my droid car dock to be in the bottom left corner of my windshied rather than the dead middle. but the car charger cable is too short.. anyone know of a longer car charger cable?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you find a female/male micro usb extension cable, let me know. As far as I can tell, such an animal simply does not exist. However, you can buy a separate cigarette lighter module that attaches to a standard usb connector and then purchase a usb to micro usb cable to solve the problem. I have to do this because for some reason my cig lighter socket in the dash will not charge the phone, but one in the back seat will. (I love Saabs.)

JoeKacz

Reaction score
I purchased one of those USB cigarette lighter adapters and a 15' micro usb cable from monoprice. Works like a charm. My mount is right under my rear view mirror. I've got the cable running from the lighter jack in my center console, under the steering wheel, up the side of the dash (between the dash and the door), and tucked around the side and top of my windshield. The only part of the cable you can see is a couple of inches between the top of the windshield and where the mirror is attached. All for $5 shipped.

Cable
Adapter

OP
A

alm0614

Reaction score
thanks guys.. could you post a link to the exact products you bought..

OP
A

alm0614

Reaction score
I've had some problems with cheap DC->USB converters.. this work fine?

JoeKacz

Reaction score
I've had some problems with cheap DC->USB converters.. this work fine?

I haven't had any problems with the functionality of it. You can tell its cheap plastic, and I have noticed it get a little hot sometimes, but nothing that's caused me much concern. Like I said earlier, its inside my center console, so it can be as ugly and cheap looking as it wants - I can't see it. :)