Most Popular Flashlight App On Android Going Rogue

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Today a redditor posted a very interesting image. Apparently the most widely used Flashlight app for Android is suspiciously downloading something using up precious bandwidth. The redditor posted a screenshot of his data usage which shows that the Flashlight app had downloaded more than 1GB of info. Who knows what in the world such an app would be downloading. Is the app grabbing personal info or setting up a bot? No one really knows. Even if it turns out to just be a bug in the app if this somehow happens to you you could potentially lose 1GB of your data plan per day. This could end up costing you lots of money if you don't catch it in time. For now consider this post a PSA. Maybe you should consider uninstalling this app until the issue has been addressed.

via Reddit

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Thought that app was tied to the Russians.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Thankfully my 6P has the flashlight toggle in the notification bar and Samsung has the flashlight widget.

It's ridiculous that a flashlight app would even have permission to access the internet in the first place.

I'd definitely think twice about keeping that app around, even if they issue an update with a "fix" if it's truly more than some fluke glitch.

creaky

Reaction score
Isn't this the same app that, a couple of years ago, illegally tracked location?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
That's some serious data use for a flashlight! I use Flashlight HD LED. Requires no strange permissions and works great. I never update apps like this since there's no need. Out of curiosity I checked to see just how many updates have been released since I DL'd it....7. All minor bug fixes for various models.

S5 tap'n

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Are there permissions on this? We all know you simply do not download a flashlight that requires ANY perms.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'd download one with permission if there were permission for "Toggle flash" and "create persistent notification while flash is on". That's about it.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are there permissions on this? We all know you simply do not download a flashlight that requires ANY perms.
This is what I use.
c3654aa2b8df6002f5af624f613175b3.jpg

f998509216ad60dc90515902f6acc2f1.jpg
]

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
Should name that app Sarah Palin.

200px-GoingRogue.jpg

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I don't get why EVERY chain, TV channel, etc. thinks it needs an app. I don't need an app for a place I occasionally buy a sandwich. Just sell me the dang sandwich.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Because you can place your order and pay from the Subway app. Some people REALLY need that extra 2 minutes out of their day that it saves...