My car dock hack. HDMI out to car audio/video (webtop/mirror/netflix)

OP
I

InspiredGS

Reaction score
Myself and my friend have been trying to set this up in my car but we are failing. I am hoping someone here has had a similar problem or can help us diagnose it.

I connect the phone via HDMI to the converter suggested (Amazon) and from there to the AV inputs in my car. It pops up asking me if I want to mirror and I say yes. At that point I only see a few random lines that flicker but absolutely no image off the phone. I then tested in my apartment on TV and couldn't even get that far. As soon as I connected the HDMI cable, Motorola Docking Service turns and on and off rapidly and eventually crashes.

Any and all suggestions welcome because this is frustrating! =P

Is the hdmi convertor set to NTSC? Also, try connecting the hdmi convertor to your tv and connect a ps3 or blu-ray player(HDMI) and check if the video plays as a composite on your tv. If that doesn't work, my guess is that the hdmi convertor is faulty. I would suggest you to swap the convertor.

OP
I

InspiredGS

Reaction score
Okay so I am very new at this. I have the droid bionic, a pioneer nav stereo (no dock) that has input for AV and USB. I bought a switch to convert hdmi to AV. I plan to go in through glove box to plug AV and leave switch in glove box. NOW...I think all I have to do is power the switch? How do I do that?? Help a noob!

You need a power inverter from 12 Volt DC to 110/120 Volt AC like these. Amazon.com: power inverter: Electronics

LuciferDR

Reaction score
What switch do you have? The HDMI to A/V converter I'm using has a 5v input. I simply cut of the 110v power pack and connected it to a 12v to 5v converter (1 Amp) eliminating the need for an inverter. That's one less box to hide :)

Tekmazter

Reaction score
Myself and my friend have been trying to set this up in my car but we are failing. I am hoping someone here has had a similar problem or can help us diagnose it.

I connect the phone via HDMI to the converter suggested (Amazon) and from there to the AV inputs in my car. It pops up asking me if I want to mirror and I say yes. At that point I only see a few random lines that flicker but absolutely no image off the phone. I then tested in my apartment on TV and couldn't even get that far. As soon as I connected the HDMI cable, Motorola Docking Service turns and on and off rapidly and eventually crashes.

Any and all suggestions welcome because this is frustrating! =P

Been a couple of weeks since this post. Were you able to make progress here?

I've been reading that most converters (<$100.00 USD) on Amazon only convert HDMI 1.3 and not the new spec that the mini-HDMI on the Moto phones uses of 1.4a. I cannot confirm this, but I'm also trying to do the same thing on my G35X and wanted to get all of my ducks in a row before proceeding. Converters which work at the 1.4a spec on Amazon are several hundred dollars.

• Does anyone have any additional knowledge around converting 1.3 vs. 1.4a?
  • What's the exact model converter InspiredGS used?
  • Also, if InpsiredGS is still about, can you post a rough cost of your particular converter?

Last edited:
OP
I

InspiredGS

Reaction score
What switch do you have? The HDMI to A/V converter I'm using has a 5v input. I simply cut of the 110v power pack and connected it to a 12v to 5v converter (1 Amp) eliminating the need for an inverter. That's one less box to hide :)

I think the switch was made by NESA. The power inverter was installed for my playstation2 a long time ago.

OP
I

InspiredGS

Reaction score
Been a couple of weeks since this post. Were you able to make progress here?

I've been reading that most converters (<$100.00 USD) on Amazon only convert HDMI 1.3 and not the new spec that the mini-HDMI on the Moto phones uses of 1.4a. I cannot confirm this, but I'm also trying to do the same thing on my G35X and wanted to get all of my ducks in a row before proceeding. Converters which work at the 1.4a spec on Amazon are several hundred dollars.

• Does anyone have any additional knowledge around converting 1.3 vs. 1.4a?
  • What's the exact model converter InspiredGS used?
  • Also, if InpsiredGS is still about, can you post a rough cost of your particular converter?

I have the same converter as the one I already posted, linked to amazon. Here is the link again. Amazon.com: HDMI to Composite /S-Video Converter 3RCA CRT TV CVBS: Electronics

I don't think hdmi 1.3 or 1.4 matters. The guy that is having problems with his setup could be a number of things. For all I know, he might have a defective hdmi convertor, bad hdmi cable, bad rca cable, or any other defective components for his setup. I posted links to pretty much every key components. The others parts are generic so there is no need. The only thing I forgot to mention is that I am using the oem Motorola micro hdmi cable that came with the DroidX2 full accessory package box.

Foxfire

Reaction score
Man, I am impressed!!!! How the heck do you figure all of that out?!?! I just must be to old and tech stupid...LOL LOL
Very, very nice job, Dude!!!!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

korywiesner

Reaction score
I did this and I love it. For you guy getting nothing but squiggly lines, think of this. Are you using a cable that changes over into a 3.5mm pin style or RCA connectors all the way across.

I can't believe how straightforward this was.

Great Post and thanks for the idea.

djdubd

Reaction score
While that looks conceptually nice, I just don't see the point when you could embed a 7" Galaxy Tab and do the same thing, better. Or if it's the 4G that's appealing to people, a Motorola Xoom should fit the bill nicely and with less overall investment. In fact I've thought about adding a 4G tablet to my various gadgets for the purpose of car installation, but I just can't justify the level of time investment needed to get it done, plus for some reason it just doesn't seem to work with a Nissan Altima for some odd reason.

Reason for using your phone is simple, use existing data plan as well as be able to make and receive calls hands free without pausing the music. Also another bonus, for me at least, is only having to keep one device up to date and sync'd. Plus with the high res screens on phones that are out now (720p on my HTC Rezound) they will scale nicely and be able to handle HD graphics and video in car.

derikogreen

Reaction score
How do you hook your mini hdmi into the tv input in your car, what cord are you using.

erics300

Reaction score
You need the hdmi to RCA converter

erics300

Reaction score
So I want to do this to an after market double din monitor so I can use the navigation from my phone. My question is can I control my phone from the monitor if its also touch screen?

Snow02

Reaction score
So I want to do this to an after market double din monitor so I can use the navigation from my phone. My question is can I control my phone from the monitor if its also touch screen?

Nope. How would you pass the controls? You could however mount a bluetooth controller in a convenient place. These have a keyboard and trackpad.

gjwawletsubzvvmbowpjlxg.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Wireless-Bluetooth-Keyboard-Built/dp/B0043AYVDA

derikogreen

Reaction score
hdmi to RCA converter

The hdmi to RCA converter that i see on the internet requires a power cord. Is it possible to find a hdmi rca converter that doesn't require power or does the hdmi provide power as well as picture and sound.

You need the hdmi to RCA converter

Snow02

Reaction score
The hdmi to RCA converter that i see on the internet requires a power cord. Is it possible to find a hdmi rca converter that doesn't require power or does the hdmi provide power as well as picture and sound.

Analog -> digital conversion requires power.