my ICS issues

idiggplants

Reaction score
hey everyone. first post here. im having a few problems with ICS that almost make me want to switch back...

first, let me say i did a factory reset before and after the install.

gps.. it takes forever to lock on now. it used to be within 3 seconds, now it takes a good 15-30 seconds. this is insanely unacceptable.

widgets.. they constantly freeze. they will work after a reboot, but within a few hours, they freeze. they no longer update their info(aka battery widget doesnt reflect changing status)(facebook app no longer updates), and when you click on them, it registers the click, but doesnt open anything. essentially makes widgets useless.

finally, in tasker, i used to be able to disable the screen dim, as well as shut down. essentially,whenever i have the phone plugged in, i like the phone to stay on, and the screen to not dim. i got it to stay on, but it dims after a minute or whatever. pretty annoying.

thanks for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
I

idiggplants

Reaction score
Anybody?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

MightyT01

Reaction score
Sorry for your problems. Can't help you on the widget and facebook issues, but nothing I've tried on my Maxx can stop the screen from auto dimming. Sucks when you're driving during the day using navigation. I've tried a number of screen on widgets for my Maxx that used to work in GB.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
You can go to Settings>Development>Keep screen on while charging, so that way if you are charging your phone in your car and using GPS the screen won't shut off.

OP
I

idiggplants

Reaction score
You can go to Settings>Development>Keep screen on while charging, so that way if you are charging your phone in your car and using GPS the screen won't shut off.

thanks folks.

yeah. i have it so the screen doesnt shut off, but it still dims to the point that you cant possibly read the screen after a small amount of time. pretty annoying. before ics i could make it so the screen didnt dim.

MightyT01

Reaction score

Yes, however, in ICS it still auto dims to the point you can't see the screen while driving. I think that is what the OP was talking about. Gingerbread did not do this for me when I was charging my Maxx. Very annoying.

Sent from my rooted Droid Razr Maxx on Tapatalk 2.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Yes, however, in ICS it still auto dims to the point you can't see the screen while driving. I think that is what the OP was talking about. Gingerbread did not do this for me when I was charging my Maxx. Very annoying.

Sent from my rooted Droid Razr Maxx on Tapatalk 2.

If you're referring to the screen dimming while using navigation, try opening the navigation app and going to Menu -> Settings -> deselect Screen dimming. It says the purpose of the setting is "Screen dims between instructions to conserve power." I'm pretty sure it's selected by default.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Welcome to the forum idiggplants! And thanks for bumping your post again. Sometimes they got buried in the midst as yours apparently did but great questions and great info. I always say I learn something new on here everyday and once again, I've learned something new from this thread.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
I

idiggplants

Reaction score
If you're referring to the screen dimming while using navigation, try opening the navigation app and going to Menu -> Settings -> deselect Screen dimming. It says the purpose of the setting is "Screen dims between instructions to conserve power." I'm pretty sure it's selected by default.

that is deselected on mine. which actually works ok for the navigation. but im talking about non navigation too. i just hate the dim screen. might as well just shut off, cause you cant see it anyways.

thanks for everyones help and attention! im glad i did bump it back up!

Exalted911

Reaction score
THere are rumors that verizon and motorolla are addressing these problems and will come out with a patch pretty soon. I have ver 215 leak and the gps locking problem is fixed.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Idiggplants, not sure if this will help. Of course I have to investigate and see what works. This is how I have mine set up and it seems to work without dimming unless I specifically set it to dim. In system settings, display, adjust brightness level, I have it set to manual. Then I have a toggle switch for screen brightness (I use widgetsoid because I can have all my toggles in the drop down notification bar where I can get to them at any time). Wherever I set my toggle on, it stays on that level until I toggle it to a different level. If I want it to 100% it will stay on 100% until I switch it. You can also customize the toggle brightness levels. Mine has 30, 50, 100 & auto. With this set up my screen never dims below the level I have it toggled at.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

Reaction score
Hopefully Motorola can fix this problem. From what I have tried, there is no way around it. When you set the sleep time the screen will dim about 5 seconds before the screen turns off. Which is fine when I am only on battery. But when you have the phone charging, the screen will dim and will stay on as long as you have the setting turned on to not let the phone sleep while charging. But the screen will still dim. I like having the screen turn off at 15 seconds if its not charging, just in case I leave it in a restaurant or something and left the screen on. Then if someone picks up my phone it will be locked. But if I am driving and listening to Pandora I would like the screen to stay on and never dim. So when I look down I can see where the buttons are on the screen without touching the screen first. Now I know that with smart actions you can set the screen brightness to whatever you want when the phone is charging, like %100 if you want. But the screen will still dim about 5 seconds before the screen is set to sleep even though it will not sleep because it's charging. Wigetsoid is cool and the updated version actually works with ICS on the Maxx. But it does not prevent the screen from dimming about 5 seconds before the screen is set to sleep. I hope this is fixed in the next update. If anyone finds a fix please let me know.

jaybogg

Reaction score
Navigation is a known power hog, and I actually like the screen dimming on this app. It does "wake up" on upcoming instructions and stays bright until after the maneuver is completed. As far as dimming in other apps, I cannot speak to this.

OP
I

idiggplants

Reaction score
chrisyouwanttknow, man, i guess im glad that im not just to dumb to get this to do what i want. however, im bummed that there is no fix to this. its so annoying. during the day time, on my car dock, it dim's so dark that it looks off. so the first thing i do is click the side button to turn it on. which of course turns it off. then begins my frustration. like you, i use it to play music through my bluetooth radio. its annoying that i have to wake it up just to change the song.

Reaction score
idiggplants said:
chrisyouwanttknow, man, i guess im glad that im not just to dumb to get this to do what i want. however, im bummed that there is no fix to this. its so annoying. during the day time, on my car dock, it dim's so dark that it looks off. so the first thing i do is click the side button to turn it on. which of course turns it off. then begins my frustration. like you, i use it to play music through my bluetooth radio. its annoying that i have to wake it up just to change the song.

I have figured out how to fix this problem!
If you ever heard of a program called Tasker go get it from the Google Play Store. Tasker can be very intimidating but the different things that it can do are virtually endless. You basically just setup a profile that says to keep the screen on while charging. Doing it through this way prevents the screen from dimming. If you need help setting it up let me know. I can post screen shoots. I am so happy that I have fixed this! It was really bugging me.
:)