Need help rooting

Richie0320

Reaction score
Hey guys, just got my Droid X and I am really big into PC's etc. I tried rooting my phone 2 times already and neither way has worked for me. I tried the 1 click z4root the first time then tried a second way using Terminal Emulator and typing some commands. But it seems to freeze up on me both ways. I have the 2.3.3 version and need some help please guys of what I should do etc.

Regards,
Richie Cropper

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Use z4root. If it stalls, pull the battery and run it again. It usually works the second time.

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.9

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
If I'm not mistaken, z4root doesn't work with 2.3.3 gingerbread. I think he/she will need to sbf back to froyo and then use z4root to obtain root access.

Last edited:
OP
R

Richie0320

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, z4root doesn't work with 2.3.3 gingerbread.

That's what I have been finding when I was reading a bit. Yeah I tried z4 more than a handful of times and nothin ever worked. It installed rageagainstthecage but I never got anything saying that it was succesful.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Just search "how to flash sbf Droid x" on Google. There should be numerous tutorials if you are unfamiliar with the process.

OP
R

Richie0320

Reaction score
So flash the sbf then try to root it again? Any certain rooting to try or will z4 work fine?

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Yep just flash an sbf back to froyo and z4root should work fine.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
My bad, I forgot the dx had the ota! Yeah, you'll have to sbf and the flash the leak. Sorry!

Droid 2 Liberty GB v0.9

chefjellynow

Reaction score
Yep just flash an sbf back to froyo and z4root should work fine.

well flashing to froyo and rooting will leave you with a rooted froyo(2.2) which is a downgrade from your current gingerbread rom(2.3.3)

what you need to do is sbf to stock froyo, then root using z4. then flash the 2 part gingerbread rom from team black hat. that will put you on a rooted gingerbread.

check the tutorial for complete step by step instructions