Need to downgrade my Bionic from ICS to Gingerbread

natebionic123

Reaction score
Or please help me fix my bluetooth issue. Cannot stream my bluetooth to my home Polk soundbar! Worked fine before they fooled me into accepting an update which I had no idea was an update to my OS. After accepting the ICS install, I can no longer use my Polk soundbar which I specifically bought because it worked flawlessly in the store. I now have only about 1 month of usage out of it and frustrated there is no easy way to get back to where I was with Gingerbread.
I have tried going to the Verizon store - no luck with their Bose bluetooth speakers either and they confirmed it was the ICS install that hosed me. I factory reset my device and exact same issue exists. It pairs just fine, but will not play anything out of winamp - no sound at all. What can i do??
I guess i need to:
1.Root my bionic
2.load gingerbread

I don't tinker with my phone because it has always done what I needed it to do until now, so any help would be appreciated for this novice to phone tinkering. Backing up my phone and factory resetting today was new, but found good instructions on how do do so. Now that I have it backed up, I would like to root it - which I have found good documentation around. The problem I have now is the next step after I root. I guess if someone can point me to some good links to get back to gingerbread I would appreciate it. I hate going backwards, but I can't wait for an update to fix this.

Thanks!

deduct

Reaction score
I hate to say it man, but there is no going back to ginger bread from official ics. I can help you root if you would like but I am not sure that is going to help with your problem. Maybe someone else has a solution to your Bluetooth problem. I have never used Bluetooth on my bionic so I doubt I can help you with that.

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
1. Check your winamp settings to make sure the issue is not there.
2 call polk support, it should still be under warranty & if it is a true issue with Ics you wont have been the first so they may have an answer for you.

I cant believe it is actually ICS. Probably a settings issue.
Bluetooth is a standard & ics would have the same bluetooth standards as GB.

OP
N

natebionic123

Reaction score
deduct, I really hope there is SOME way to get back to Gingerbread. If there was absolutely NO option to go back, then what would anyone suggest? go to Mototrola? Go to Verizon? How do I find out if there are any updates related to this? Any direction would be appreciated.

sst45jeff, unfortunately, it is a problem with Bluetooth due to ICS. I have tried Winamp, Pandora, different music players, my phone, different Bluetooth speakers - you name it. My wife has a Droid X2 on Gingerbread and still works perfectly. There are also numerous complaints online about similar Bluetooth problems with ICS, this is how the Verizon store confirmed it is a bug with ICS.

Tonik

Reaction score
deduct, I really hope there is SOME way to get back to Gingerbread. If there was absolutely NO option to go back, then what would anyone suggest?

There is no way to go back because of the locked bootloader. If it is any consolation there will be another update in the next 60 days (my guess on timeframe, the update is for sure though) to Jelly Bean. Hopefully that will help you.

OP
N

natebionic123

Reaction score
Ok, I don't necessarily HAVE to go back to Gingerbread, can't I just go back to some custom ROM that was stable before ICS? I really just need my phone to do a few simple things -Phone, Internet, email and Bluetooth to stream my music. I figured I can go back to something that worked and then wait for Jelly Bean or an ICS update that fixes this. Any suggestions on a custom ROM or is there a Jelly Bean leak for Bionic?

OP
N

natebionic123

Reaction score
I hate to say it man, but there is no going back to ginger bread from official ics. I can help you root if you would like but I am not sure that is going to help with your problem. Maybe someone else has a solution to your Bluetooth problem. I have never used Bluetooth on my bionic so I doubt I can help you with that.

I think my next step is to see if rooting my phone help. Any help would be appreciated.

deduct

Reaction score
I think my next step is to see if rooting my phone help. Any help would be appreciated.

Send me your gmail address via private message so that we can use gtalk app and I'll help you root

-bionic eclipsed-

dluke

Reaction score
It pairs just fine, but will not play anything out of winamp - no sound at all. What can i do??

Go into system settings.. go into bluetooth.. click on the settings button next to which ever device you use to stream your music.. and make sure that the "Media Audio" check box is checked

OP
N

natebionic123

Reaction score
Go into system settings.. go into bluetooth.. click on the settings button next to which ever device you use to stream your music.. and make sure that the "Media Audio" check box is checked

Thanks, dluke, but tried that as well. Now it will not even detect my Jawbone earpiece. Basically, Bluetooth is completely worthless on my Bionic. The Jawbone was working after the upgrade, but through my troubleshooting, I unpaired my Jawbone and tried to re-pair and it is just gone. I have lost my handsfree capability too. I'm just frustrated as @#$% because I can't undo a software upgrade. This is the first time ever I have ran into a situation where there was absolutely no way of going back from a software upgrade. What ticks me off the most is there was ZERO warning around this when accepting the upgrade. There's no way I would have upgraded if knowing I couldn't go back.

dluke

Reaction score
Thanks, dluke, but tried that as well. Now it will not even detect my Jawbone earpiece. Basically, Bluetooth is completely worthless on my Bionic. The Jawbone was working after the upgrade, but through my troubleshooting, I unpaired my Jawbone and tried to re-pair and it is just gone. I have lost my handsfree capability too. I'm just frustrated as @#$% because I can't undo a software upgrade. This is the first time ever I have ran into a situation where there was absolutely no way of going back from a software upgrade. What ticks me off the most is there was ZERO warning around this when accepting the upgrade. There's no way I would have upgraded if knowing I couldn't go back.

one thing you could try is installing one of the other leaked ICS builds.. like 6.7.247.. which im actually still running just cause ive been lazy since the ota of .246 was released, and dont really have any need to go back, atleast until a JB build is leaked.. i dont know if it will solve your problem, but its possible, and therefore probably worth a try.. and with HoB your can more or less freely switch between any of the builds above 6.7.232.. but id try .247 first.. anyways just an idea

OP
N

natebionic123

Reaction score
Correction, Jawbone working fine. Had to put in pairing mode - duh. I will see if this is my issue with the Polk, but already spoke with them once and they didn't mention. Hope it is this easy.