New Obscure Hints Suggest Nexus 5 Unveiling Today at Google+ Event

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
wind-mobile-nexus-5-preorder.png

Well, the 28th of October has come and gone and (despite some convincing rumors we reported), the Nexus 5 from Google is nowhere to be found. Perhaps the reveal was going to come on October 28th, but for some reason it got pushed back. Alternatively, it could have just been a big fake out to build hype for the device. That seems much more likely actually...

At any rate, the newest intel is just as obscure and cryptic as the previous one, but this time it suggests we will see the launch at the Google+ event today. If this rumor turns out to be true, Google definitely took a round about way of hinting at the reveal. Basically, the dots are loosely connected between a Nexus 5 marketing slogan on a Canadian Carrier's Nexus 5 pre-order page and a statement recently made by Vic Gundotra (the SVP of Engineering at Google), on his Google+ page.

The slogan on the Wind Mobile preorder page says, "“Google Nexus 5. The smart, new phone made to capture the moments that matter." (Those were our italics.) Gundotra has been posting on his Google+ page over the last few days that he is excited and can't sleep because of his presentation today. What is of note is that he has been using the hashtag #momentsthatmatter.

Obviously this is a bit of a logical leap of faith to assume the two are connected; however, the fact that he has been posting his anxiety about a Google+ reveal is a bit unusual. Normally, these guys are consummate professionals and don't allude to such things before a presentation. Perhaps it is still a bit of a stretch though. It's entirely possible we won't see the Nexus 5 launch until Friday at the same time it is expected to be available on the Google Play Store.

Of course, if anything breaks today, we will let you know as soon as we can!

Source: Google+ - Vic Gundotra

Briankbl

Reaction score
The Google Play Store was updated for Android today, getting rid of a lot of the options in the menu button in the upper right corner, and moving them to a slide drawer on the left side of the screen. Options such as "My apps" are located there.

I know, this isn't Nexus 5 related, but it's a little thing that might go along with the conference. Hopefully we'll see mass Google app updates today like we normally do during Google's conferences!

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA!

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It turns out this particular rumor was just as much a "red herring" as the others. The Google+ event didn't reveal anything regarding the Nexus 5, which means the announcement is still in limbo. On the bright side, the Google+ announcement was pretty interesting. Here's the video:

[video=youtube;al0k1Dia6E0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al0k1Dia6E0&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I can't wait till this damn thing comes out so everyone will shut up about it, personally. And I even wanted the thing before I got the G2.

Iggy08

Reaction score
I can't wait till this damn thing comes out so everyone will shut up about it, personally. And I even wanted the thing before I got the G2.

This happens with every new phone, why are you whining? If the phone isn't going to be good, then there's no excitement. If the phone is supposed to be good, then there's always excitement. That's the only reason I look at the Android news, to see what's coming next.

I'd suggest you stick to the G2 forum if you get annoyed by new phone news.

Briankbl

Reaction score
This happens with every new phone, why are you whining? If the phone isn't going to be good, then there's no excitement. If the phone is supposed to be good, then there's always excitement. That's the only reason I look at the Android news, to see what's coming next.

If a Nexus device isn't released on Verizon, I have no excitement. Verizon is the only carrier I get in my area. I have no other options except to move, and I'm not moving just to switch carriers...

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
If a Nexus device isn't released on Verizon, I have no excitement. Verizon is the only carrier I get in my area. I have no other options except to move, and I'm not moving just to switch carriers...

I second that, and a carrier that has a network like Verizons to speak off, because without a reliable network, you might as well have a paperweight in your pocket.

Iggy08

Reaction score
You guys make me feel super lucky to live in the DFW area, the big 4 networks get pretty good coverage around here. The further you get away from Dallas, the faster Verizon gets, to a certain distance were connection probably gets dropped.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score

Because it's rather over the top in this case, this phones father, the G2, will be superior in most respects than this device ever will be, yet the hyperbolic drum beat of a million men wasn't exactly heard then, was it? So it's Google experience, yet that doesn't exactly mean what it used to anymore. The advantages are becoming irrelevant, and literally coming down to baby version of a device for a cheaper price, and I see the benefits of that but it's a little ridiculous how huge the rumors of the rumors of the rumors are about this device that I'd guesstimate 70% of the interest drawn won't be able to get it on their carrier in the first place.

Iggy08

Reaction score
Because it's rather over the top in this case, this phones father, the G2, will be superior in most respects than this device ever will be, yet the hyperbolic drum beat of a million men wasn't exactly heard then, was it? So it's Google experience, yet that doesn't exactly mean what it used to anymore. The advantages are becoming irrelevant, and literally coming down to baby version of a device for a cheaper price, and I see the benefits of that but it's a little ridiculous how huge the rumors of the rumors of the rumors are about this device that I'd guesstimate 70% of the interest drawn won't be able to get it on their carrier in the first place.

It's out. Should work on every carrier. AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint will be selling it in store. We'll see how well it does with that kind of availability

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I wonder..... I would have to do some digging to see what bands but if it works on sprint (cdma) with some work do not see why it would not work on vzw. Again this is outside looking in with out having the phone or digging into the fcc information so I am sure someone will be correcting me on that.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I'm pretty sure it won't work on Verizon ...how would you activate it ?
Big Red would have to allow it

N3 tapa

Iggy08

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it won't work on Verizon ...how would you activate it ?
Big Red would have to allow it

N3 tapa

I thought with newer LTE models you could just pop in an activated Verizon sim? I've swapped my sim into other Verizon phones without calling to activate and it worked fine. Also, the Nexus 7 had a similar issue where Verizon didn't want to activate the tablets on the network, but in reality all that was required was to activate a sim card and insert it. Hopefully it is fully capable of working on Verizon, and we can find some FCC regulations to allow it ;-)

I'm switching to T-Mobile soon, but I'll pop in my Verizon sim and see if it works once the Nexus 5 comes in

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I thought with newer LTE models you could just pop in an activated Verizon sim? I've swapped my sim into other Verizon phones without calling to activate and it worked fine. Also, the Nexus 7 had a similar issue where Verizon didn't want to activate the tablets on the network, but in reality all that was required was to activate a sim card and insert it. Hopefully it is fully capable of working on Verizon, and we can find some FCC regulations to allow it ;-)

I'm switching to T-Mobile soon, but I'll pop in my Verizon sim and see if it works once the Nexus 5 comes in

It will not work on Verizon's network, at the moment only T-Mobile and Sprint. If you did order it, it will be sitting in your drawer until you switch to T-Mobile.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Iggy08

Reaction score
If you did order it, it will be sitting in your drawer until you switch to T-Mobile.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

No it will not, I'm gonna be playing with that bad boy regardless! haha
I didn't order it to use on Verizon. I just figured I'd try it out and see if it will work.