[New Rom] KrazyKoderICS-MIUI-3.2-Ubuntu

KrazyKoder

Reaction score
KrazyKoderICS-MIUI-3.2-Ubuntu
This ROM is based off of Vicious's Miui Ics Rom and runs the ICS 4.0.1 framework.
The Rom comes with Ubuntu 10.10 prepackaged inside system/tools along with the Android Kitchen, which is used to make creating Roms easier. I take no credit for creating the ubuntu arm img or the Android Kitchen. I do however take credit for numerous scripts, enhancements and all other sorts of mods done to modify the Rom, ubuntu img, and various other aspects of the system.
The Rom is overclocked at boot to roughly 1.8Ghz and stays there. You can overwrite this with various market apps if you want a lower speed, although I find it to be quite stable.​
How To Use Built In Ubuntu And Kitchen
Upon first bootup of the Rom you will need to sign in to the market and download your favorite terminal app. I didn't package one because everyone seems to have a certain one they prefer. Once installed, go under SuperUser and enable Root Access. Then enter your terminal app and type 'su'. Then enter 'boom.sh', which will initiate various scripts I created and will start writing Ubuntu to your sdcard(which needs atleast 2.5-3g free) and creates a loop where everything, including the kitchen, is installed. After successful installation (which will take a while), run 'upd.sh' in the Ubuntu environment and install the required packages to run the Android Kitchen(Internet access required). Incase your 4g or 3g doesn't lock-on, find the app LTE OnOff and toggle between CDMA Auto (PRL) and CDMA+LTE/EVDO Auto. Your phone will lock-on after a min or two. Now that you have done all of that, you can start the Android Kitchen by typing './menu' in the Ubuntu terminal environment. There is one known error, and it is only ran into when trying to zip-align the apks in the rom. It needs to have ia32-libs installed, but to do that you'll have to find it manually and install it. I plan to find it when I have a little more free time, I'm a college student ; ) If you have any questions about my rom, have any issues with it, or would like to give a shoutout to Vicious for making the base Rom, or dsixda for making the Android Kitchen, feel free! I hope to do a lot more with this project, although this is already the 25th rendition to get things smoothed out ; ) Anyways, have fun, cook up some roms, and download everything here http://db.tt/tOmrrX0l...
Also make sure to have the screen on while running the 'boom.sh' script! Sometimes the phone will restart if not, but will install it fine the second time around if you forgot to leave the screen on. Weird bug, I know lol​

Mirror1: KrazyKoderICS-MIUI-3.2-Ubuntu.zip
Mirror2: KrazyKoderICS-MIUI-3.2-Ubuntu.zip

I also have a rom that installs Ubuntu to your internal memory if anyone would prefer that. The install is much faster for one, plus if you have no extra space on your SD it could be useful. The downside is that it will only leave roughly 45mb in your internal memory when booted. I won't put up any links unless someone asks for it. Also... if you downloaded the rom or are thinking about it, Leave feedback and suggestions! Thanks! I'm also working on a rom that shares Linux and android properties. It will be ICS based naturally :p If you have any ideas for that, let me know!

UPDATE: The new update feature has been created! Besides just updating various user selected areas of the rom, it also does installations and many more things I will be adding soon. To install the updater simply download This. It's a file named 'toolkit.sh'. Just move the file to /system/bin, go to terminal, type 'su' and then 'toolkit.sh'. I think you guys will like it : ) By the way... If you have trouble moving it to system/bin just go to the terminal, type 'su' and then 'sysrw'. It will automatically mount the system for you so you can move the file!

Last edited:

cwciwatch

Reaction score
So Cool

I love miui and ubuntu! Thanks for taking the time to do this!

plehmann13

Reaction score
What doesnt work on this?

so i saw this is based of Vicious' MIUI. does that mean the MMS isnt working on this one as well? if so, what else isnt working?

spindizzy

Reaction score
Ran this for a couple days and its ok. A little buggy. A few apps continue to crash. I do like the setup and options thought. Pretty nice looking overall.

WardenWolf

Reaction score
Downloads failed. Rapidshare is super-slow and the file transfer appears to complete but fails after around 250 megs. And 4Shared requires you sign up and install their spyware app.

WardenWolf

Reaction score
Okay, I finally got it installed. For all who wonder, MMS does indeed work. At first glance, it appears to be fully functional. Battery usage also appears to be quite low, even compared to an optimized 2.3.7. This may be my daily driver from now on.

Last edited:

WardenWolf

Reaction score
All I can say is, load it up. It works, and works very well. This is what you've all been waiting for: fully stable and functional ICS. A few programs have rarely-occurring problems, but I think that's the fault of the program, not the ROM. I've yet to find any that are unusable, though. Typically if they crash, it's shortly after launching, so you don't lose any work. Then when you relaunch it, it works fine.

The only very minor complaint I have with this ROM is that, by default, it clocks the CPU at 1.8 ghz. That's extremely high for a 1 ghz CPU to be overclocked to, and the Thunderbolt is fast enough stock. This may lead to instability on some devices, and will definitely decrease your device's lifespan even if it runs stable. However, battery life seems to be slightly improved over Gingerbread, even with this extreme overclock. I downloaded No-Frills CPU Control and set it for 1.2 ghz maximum, 384 mhz minimum, and the On-Demand governor. With this, I noticed major improvements in battery life over Gingerbread.

Other thoughts:

The stock ICS launcher sucks. Horribly. Download Go Launcher Ex or your choice of other launchers ASAP.

The only way to change the lock screen, at least in this MIUI-tweaked ICS, is to edit your current theme. You can download additional lockscreens if you aren't happy with the selection, though. For those wanting the minimalist look that just works, I recommend Decline.

mcapozzi

Reaction score
Awesome...just one silly question

This has breathed new life into a phone that I thought everyone had forgotten about.

Thank you very much.

One quick question. With my previous ROM killasense 3.7, I was getting OTA update warnings, will I get those warnings with this ROM and if so, how can I disable them.

WardenWolf

Reaction score
Edit: Apparently there was an oddly-timed data outage in my area.

No, you will not get OTA update warnings. The reason you were getting that with your previous ROM was it was a hacked version of the original HTC ROM, and thus still had the HTC update code built into it. This is a completely new ROM and thus is free of HTC's tampering.

Last edited:

arucarda

Reaction score
about that ubuntu installed in internal

do you think i could get a copy of this that installs ubntu in the internal memory?

coltsman

Reaction score
The 4g is not working at all did every thing and nothing it sure would be nice have it cuz this is what smooth fast rom plz help, sheawhite95Gmail.com if any body wanna advice me up, GOD bless

WardenWolf

Reaction score
I give up on this ROM. The cellular data, including 4G, works fine for a while, then quits and will NOT reinitialize no matter what you do. Restarting the phone, turning it off, pulling the battery, nothing brings it back. You get NO data services whatsoever, not even 1x. It's broken, permanently, until you reflash it. Then it works for a random amount of time and breaks again. This ROM was so promising. I thought we finally had a working ICS. I don't know what could possibly be so broken that data won't even come back on a restart, but it's unusable as it is.