New Samsung Galaxy SII LTE Variant Shows Up in South Korea; Codename Celox

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
celox-lte-sgs2-variant.jpg

A new LTE version of the Samsung Galaxy SII has emerged from the shadows in South Korea. Supposedly this new variant not only has LTE, but also sports the following "enhanced" specs:
  • 1.5 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon APQ8060 processor
  • 4.5-inch WVGA Super AMOLED Plus display
  • 16GB of internal memory
  • A microSD slot offering an extra 32GB
  • Gingerbread
  • 1750mAh battery
  • 800MHz LTE support (at up to 50Mbps upstream, 100Mbps downstream)
  • 8MP rear-facing camera, and a 2MP front-facing camera
Considering that the LTE on this device is a different bandwidth than what we see here in the States, (Verizon and AT&T use 700MHz), this phone is probably slated for somewhere else, like Europe perhaps. We will watch this one for any further details.

Thanks for the tip, Tio!

Source: GalaxyForums.net via Engadget

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Hey..its got a hump. Let the complaining begin.

end of line...

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Isn't this something like the 4th or 5th flavor of this phone that has been seen? I don't usually pay that much attention to the global market for phones, so I have no idea if this is typical for single device...

garydtd

Reaction score
The Galaxy R has always been said to be a cheaper alternative to the I*hone with a smaller screen the the Sll and cheaper components, this is better is everyway than than the Sll so I doubt its the R. Also even though 800mhz is Europe I believe they havn't even started rolling out LTE in the UK so seems unlikely.

Or rather we can still hope its coming to verizon.

Enter

Reaction score
The Galaxy R has always been said to be a cheaper alternative to the I*hone with a smaller screen the the Sll and cheaper components, this is better is everyway than than the Sll so I doubt its the R. Also even though 800mhz is Europe I believe they havn't even started rolling out LTE in the UK so seems unlikely.

Google it. All images come back to this one. There are articles dating back to July 18th announcing this.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I keep hearing that the LTE radio is to big for the SII and that there is no way that it(SII) will ever be LTE on Verizon... Is this not proof of concept or do the differing Bands require different sized radios?

garydtd

Reaction score
If instead of it interacting with the 800mhz band and interacting with the 700mhz band then it really shouldn't require a different size at all, in fact a few components should be able to be switched to make that radio suitable for the US. However I am not sure on how radios work on this small of a scale but that is how they work on a slightly larger scale, the receiver and transmitter are just tuned to different frequencies.

loki993

Reaction score

I keep hearing that the LTE radio is to big for the SII and that there is no way that it(SII) will ever be LTE on Verizon... Is this not proof of concept or do the differing Bands require different sized radios?

I would say its proof of concept but thats just me. Im no engineer and have never seen either LTE radio

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState

It depends on the size of the LTE radio. The LTE radio that Verizon uses is large and to big to fit into the GS2 we have been seeing since April. If they put in Verizons LTE it would be a bigger thicker phone. Loosing the the saying of Worlds thinnest Android phone.. If an LTE GS2 does get released it will not be September.. It will be more likely November - December the earliest...

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

It depends on the size of the LTE radio. The LTE radio that Verizon uses is large and to big to fit into the GS2 we have been seeing since April. If they put in Verizons LTE it would be a bigger thicker phone. Loosing the the saying of Worlds thinnest Android phone.. If an LTE GS2 does get released it will not be September.. It will be more likely November - December the earliest...

Do we know that (the size of VZW's LTE Radio) for fact or has it been established as the leading theory based on the size of all existing LTE phones?

Right after the FCC docs became public, someone mentioned that the LTE Antenna is in the "lip" of the device but ever since I read that, everyone has been saying that the bionic LTE radio has to be small because it is in the "lip" of the device... so which is located down in the lip: the radio or the antenna or are the two one-in-the-same?

SwiftLegend

Reaction score

Do we know that (the size of VZW's LTE Radio) for fact or has it been established as the leading theory based on the size of all existing LTE phones?

Right after the FCC docs became public, someone mentioned that the LTE Antenna is in the "lip" of the device but ever since I read that, everyone has been saying that the bionic LTE radio has to be small because it is in the "lip" of the device... so which is located down in the lip: the radio or the antenna or are the two one-in-the-same?
Either way it's too big. Supposedly Motorola made it's own LTE radio for the Bionic, and it's still pretty big. Honestly, I wouldn't mind this (OP) phone to be the Verizon variant. I just hate the fact that the T-Mobile version has been seen and the Sprint version has already gotten a new name, but nothing has been said of the Verizon variant.....which is supposed to be the first one to be released.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score

Either way it's too big. Supposedly Motorola made it's own LTE radio for the Bionic, and it's still pretty big. Honestly, I wouldn't mind this (OP) phone to be the Verizon variant. I just hate the fact that the T-Mobile version has been seen and the Sprint version has already gotten a new name, but nothing has been said of the Verizon variant.....which is supposed to be the first one to be released.
Also, the Bionic doesn't really have a lip or hump. It's more of a widening slope from the middle of the phone to the top.