Nexus 6P Spontanious Back Glass Shattering Tested!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

JerryRigEverything put two Nexus 6P's through a bend test, snapping each one in half. Recently a new "gate" for the Nexus 6P showed up on reddit where users were reporting that their back glass was "spontaneously shattering". I decided to do a drop test to ensure that impact was not causing the issue. JerryRigEverything has decided to test it by doing extreme temperature changes to decide whether or not that is a factor.

In his video he sticks a phone in the freezer and then applies heat to the phone with a heat gun. On the next phone he applies heat first to the back glass with a heat gun and then proceeds to rub ice on the glass. Neither of these tests resulted in the phone's back glass shattering. The phones that did have shattered glass were likely the victim of defective glass.

Reactions: cr6

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Issues come up but this one doesn't appear to be a wide scale one. A couple defects out of how many phones sold, will happen.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Although you could potentially argue that he's already compromised the integrity of the body of the phones by bending them and maybe the metal isn't causing the same resistance on the glass as the temperatures change, I'd have to agree with you.

I also wonder if the heat gun isn't so hot that it doesn't provide real-world temperature changes. The whole theory behind temperature being a factor is the difference in the way the glass and metal expand and contract. In that regard, it might be more realistic to heat and cool them a bit more slowly than he did.

Still, I like to think that Mustang and Jerry are correct in that it may just be a variation in the manufacturing of the glass panels on some phones. I've noticed I haven't seen any more reports of this happening since the initial reports.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
We'd be seeing a ton of reports of this was a bigger issue. I haven't dropped my phone but it has been everywhere with me. Vball, hiking, car/truck, etc without any issues.