No 3G = No internet?

kaykay235

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums, as well as new to the droid. I recently switched from my Blackberry Tour to a Droid Pro (about 2 weeks ago).

I have Verizon and I've been with them for quite a while. I attend college in a different city than my hometown, and it doesn't have 3G (it's extended network). I never had problems with internet / email / facebook, etc with my Blackberry, but since I got the Droid, I realized internet will not work here - I'm guessing because there's no 3G. Is this right?? It would have been nice for one of the Verizon guys to tell me this...

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. I wasn't quite sure where to put it.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums, as well as new to the droid. I recently switched from my Blackberry Tour to a Droid Pro (about 2 weeks ago).

I have Verizon and I've been with them for quite a while. I attend college in a different city than my hometown, and it doesn't have 3G (it's extended network). I never had problems with internet / email / facebook, etc with my Blackberry, but since I got the Droid, I realized internet will not work here - I'm guessing because there's no 3G. Is this right?? It would have been nice for one of the Verizon guys to tell me this...

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. I wasn't quite sure where to put it.

Question: What kind of network connection does your phone indicate, 1X, 1x or what?

I could be wrong, but you should be getting internet and data with a 1X connection...I am assuming you have at least 1X.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Are you allowing roaming?

OP
kaykay235

kaykay235

Reaction score
It doesn't say if it's 1G, just shows bars. And I don't know how to allow or not allow roaming...?

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
settings>>Wireless & network setting>>mobile networks>>Automatic

OP
kaykay235

kaykay235

Reaction score
Under mobile network settings it has network mode and it's set to 'preferred network mode: Global' (other options available are CDMA and GSM/UMTS) - I don't see an option for 'automatic.'

Under mobile network settings there is CDMA settings (which is not selectable unless I change network mode to CDMA) where I can change system select to 'automatic.'

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Under mobile network settings it has network mode and it's set to 'preferred network mode: Global' (other options available are CDMA and GSM/UMTS) - I don't see an option for 'automatic.'

Under mobile network settings there is CDMA settings (which is not selectable unless I change network mode to CDMA) where I can change system select to 'automatic.'
Select CDMA then automatic

OP
kaykay235

kaykay235

Reaction score
That doesn't work either. When I try to do something it says 'no data connection.'

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
That doesn't work either. When I try to do something it says 'no data connection.'
Go to menu>settings>data manager>data delivery>select background data, data roaming and data enabled.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Have you tried a reboot?
Last time you remember having data?

OP
kaykay235

kaykay235

Reaction score
No, it only shows bars. When I turn my WiFi on, I can connect to the internet, but I can't without WiFi.

OP
kaykay235

kaykay235

Reaction score
Go to menu>settings>data manager>data delivery>select background data, data roaming and data enabled.

It says I may incur significant roaming charges? Do you know if this is true? I didn't think Verizon charged for roaming.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
You might want to try turning on airplane mode for a min, then turning it off....