No media sound on speaker

All of a sudden there isn't any media sound coming from my speaker. Notification and alarms sounds play, but not media (like the music player or Netflix or pandora). Headphones work - just not the speaker. Also, when making or receiving a phone call, I cannot hear the other person and they cannot hear me.

I have checked every setting I can find and all looks normal. Volume is turned up, so I am at a loss.

The phone is rooted and the bootloader is unlocked, but other than that, I haven't changed anything. I'm using SetCPU to underclock when the screen is off. I had Volume+ installed, but I removed it to see if that would change anything, but it didn't.

Any ideas?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Last edited:

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
All of a sudden there isn't any media sound coming from my speaker. Notification and alarms sounds play, but not media (like the music player or Netflix or pandora). Headphones work - just not the speaker. Also, when making or receiving a phone call, I cannot hear the other person and they cannot hear me.

I have checked every setting I can find and all looks normal. Volume is turned up, so I am at a loss.

The phone is rooted and the bootloader is unlocked, but other than that, I haven't changed anything. I'm using SetCPU to underclock when the screen is off. I had Volume+ installed, but I removed it to see if that would change anything, but it didn't.

Any ideas?

Have you used a headphone recently? Try inserting and removing a headphone plug a few times. If that doesn't help then it's time to unroot, relock and take it back for a warranty replacement - seems to me.

Good luck.

OP
VingInMedina

VingInMedina

It will work for a while and then cut out. Rebooting sometimes helps, but not always. Plugging in the headphones and removing them doesn't seem to have any effect. When playing music, I see it play for awhile, and then pause. It will do that a few times and then it will continue playing but with no sound.

So, I am backing up the internal storage, and I will flash the factory image back and lock up the bootloader. If it's still wonky then, it must be a hardware issue.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
It will work for a while and then cut out. Rebooting sometimes helps, but not always. Plugging in the headphones and removing them doesn't seem to have any effect. When playing music, I see it play for awhile, and then pause. It will do that a few times and then it will continue playing but with no sound.

So, I am backing up the internal storage, and I will flash the factory image back and lock up the bootloader. If it's still wonky then, it must be a hardware issue.

Sounds about right to me.

Here's some other threads to look at http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x2-tech-support/157717-media-sound-not-working.html

No sound at all - Help Please! - Android Forums

[Q] No media audio from external speaker. - xda-developers

[Q] [SOLVED] Galaxy Nexus speakerphone mode - xda-developers

Good luck

OP
VingInMedina

VingInMedina

I took the phone into Verizon yesterday, and they are sending me a replacement. Have to wait 5 days for a new one, which is annoying as this sound problem is also preventing me from making and receiving calls.

dmwoods

Last edited:
OP
VingInMedina

VingInMedina

Took a look at that App - says that it isn't compatible with the Nexus.

Verizon replaced my phone. So far, so good.

dmwoods

Took a look at that App - says that it isn't compatible with the Nexus.

Verizon replaced my phone. So far, so good.

I think Google Play is messed up. I own a Galaxy Nexus too. I go in and show my Nexus and old Droid as compatible.

Last edited:

cupfulloflol

I think Google Play is messed up. I own a Galaxy Nexus too. I go in and show my Nexus and old Droid as compatible.

That is right. Google will list all devices you own, or have owned that are compatible. As far as I know there is no way to permanently remove them.

View attachment 49249

I don't own the HTC Rezound (the last one on the list) any longer, and the HP Touchpad and "Unknown Aokp_tenderloin" are the same device.

Mawntee

Any ideas?

Made an account just to say that I fixed it. There is a free app that you can download that switches from headphone to loudspeaker.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.woodslink.android.wiredheadphoneroutingfix

I have had my phone for less than a month, and this happend to me when the battery was low, the headphones were in and I spilled a whole cup of water on my phone.

It used play my ringtone and all other sounds well, except for music, the app fixed it. It is just a widget you put on your home screen, press it, and It changes from headphone to speaker.

Hope I helped, and sorry if I rambled on a bit. :)